3d forums home Resources for 3d artists

3D Modeling Forum

Everything about 3D modeling. Polygons, Nurbs, Splines, Subdivision Surfaces etc.
Help me please
Hi guys :) as 3d is concerned i know only maya and specialized in modelling and texturing . is this enough or do i need to learn 3ds max also ? because i'm not getting job on maya so ...
last post on March 01, 2012 - by markshires
Wondering about cost/feasibility of 3D modeling from picture 3D Modeling Forum Wondering about cost/feasibility of 3D modeling from picture
Hello, Say I wanted to have an image within a picture modeled into 3D, so that later I can insert this model into a 3D environment or simply take a screenshot of it and compare it side by side ...
last post on February 29, 2012 - by Andyba
Character Modeling
Alright Guys need to put my feet on the ground again, I haven't modeled in a while already. What would be something simple for Character modeling? Should I go for the face first? Should I build in ...
last post on February 29, 2012 - by Alex910
Afro Modeling 3D Modeling Forum Afro Modeling
I am in the process of modeling a new character and have to ask this question. What is the best way to create an Afro. Right now, I am thinking about just modeling the base shape of how everything ...
last post on February 27, 2012 - by lestaylor
Lightwave or Cinema 4D?
Greetings. I plan to purchase a software to 3d graphics (I don't like blender).For today i used student version of maya (for learn), but I want to make comercial projects. The problem is the the ...
last post on February 22, 2012 - by Virtualsetworks
RHINO, questions from a noob
Hello! I am learning Rhino with one of the Lynda tutorials. There are a couple of things that seem easy to do but are giving me trouble. I am using the Beta Mac version of Rhino which is little ...
last post on February 02, 2012 - by isa_rhino
call for 3d designers
hi my name is albert and i am participating in a thinkquest international competition ( http://www.thinkquest.org/en/ ) in digital media section ,and i'm intendeing to find 2 members who can work in ...
last post on January 28, 2012 - by albertnashaat
Request for Cartoon Character
Hi all.. I'm looking for a cartoon character. I've been trying to make these for ages now, but everytime i have a good model i like and convert the poligons to subvi (something) Maya crashes or i ...
last post on January 25, 2012 - by jenifer123
Have you guys ever been exposed to 3D printing?
Have you guys ever heard about doing any kind of 3d printing? Basically, 3d printing is sending your finished 3d designs to companies that will develop your designs into a physical object of almost ...
last post on January 14, 2012 - by MPMW
3dsmax : Meshsmooth problem
Whenever I use meshsmooth it deforms my object really badly. Even on the lowest settings. What am I doing ...
last post on January 09, 2012 - by thepeca
How to print a good 3D model?
My friend introduced UP! Protable 3D printer to me, and he felt surprised I did not ever get one in my house. He told me UP! 3D printer was best sold, not only the design professionals but also home ...
last post on January 04, 2012 - by TierTime
Another Avenue for 3D
Hey everyone, I'd appreciate it if you looked into Kraftwurx Kraftwurx is a 3D printing company; essentially, Kraftwurx establishes a network of 3D printing bureaus around the world. 3D artists ...
last post on December 27, 2011 - by cwaldo39
Dividing an object into groups
Hello all, I just purchased a model of a AH6 littlebird from turbosquid for $50.00 hoping to animate the blades of the helicopter so that they spin around. Unfortunately the helicopter came as ...
last post on December 20, 2011 - by john8williams@hotmail.com
How to control this surface transition?
Hey guys, I´m trying to create a surface transition for my bachelor thesis for almost three days now. I´m a new member and can´t figure out a way to post images (because of the 15 posts ...
last post on December 15, 2011 - by milk&honey
3d model texture conversion
Is there any way to convert textures from a 3d model from 3ds max to the same model except in .obj format? I find when converting my models into .obj format and import them into zbrush, the ...
last post on December 14, 2011 - by baalnazzar
Tutorial to rig/bone a character in Cinema 4D?
Hello there! Does anyone have a tutorial how to rig/bone a character in Cinema 4D? I'd really need one. :D Thanks! ...
last post on December 09, 2011 - by TutorialVault
Animating seperate verteces/ Cloth.
Im decorating a little house, and just trying stuff out. Im working on the curtains and i would like to be able to animate seperate vertex, to make the curtains move like the wind is blowing into it. ...
last post on December 08, 2011 - by baalnazzar
A New Avenue for 3D Developers
Hey everyone, I'm with Kraftwurx, a 3D printing company. The goal of Kraftwurx is to give developers, inventors, and consumers the chance to create, buy, and sell models online to be 3D printed into ...
last post on December 06, 2011 - by kraftwurx
Preference
Hi guys, i am working with a company that manufactures aftermarket car parts. I have designed parts on paper and need to make a 3d model of what it will look like. I have been trying to use ...
last post on December 02, 2011 - by baalnazzar
Preference
Hi guys, i am working with a company that manufactures aftermarket car parts. I have designed parts on paper and need to make a 3d model of what it will look like. I have been trying to use ...
last post on December 01, 2011 - by hannacake
In need of help defining the term "tapering"
I have an assignment where one of the questions is to define "tapering", which I am having troubles with due to our course litterature not containing any information on it and every page on ...
last post on November 30, 2011 - by happysmiley
3ds Autodesk max 2009, Direction Concern
Hi my name is Dylan, um I've been working on 3d modelling for the past couple days and I enjoy that I can bring a creation into a 3d world. However, I am questioning should I be specializing, ...
last post on November 26, 2011 - by Chromefire
topology 3d
I need to understand more,What is topology means in 3D models? and how topology used in 3d models? ...
last post on November 22, 2011 - by Surplu
Topology, r triangles and five sided polygons really so bad
I know in an ideal world the topology of my models should comprise nothing but square polygons. however I feel im spending an inordinate amount of time trying to achieve this perfect mesh, and im ...
last post on November 15, 2011 - by baalnazzar
Importing .ai into Maya for text
I imported a .ai file consisting out of more curves into maya,all together they make up text. The problem now is, that when i extrude the curves and convert them into polygons i cant fill the holes ...
last post on November 14, 2011 - by Ghostblast
3d guitar drawing, what software to use?
Hi everyone, I'm from Italy, i'm 27 and i build guitars in my free time. I've just builded and handcarved a guitar top and now i'd like to draw it in 3d so that i can carve it on a cnc machine next ...
last post on November 10, 2011 - by baalnazzar
3D Modeler needed for a Medievil Game
SO basicly this is a medevil game, sort of like mw or bf... just in ye old times. we have 2 people working on the game already and it would be awesome if not only someone would do the models and ...
last post on November 06, 2011 - by Slefi
"Large" Assignment, 3D instruction vid.
My boss asked me if i would be able to make an instruction video for a Swiss boat cruise company, he realy liked the looks of the instruction videos of AirBerlin and Niki, but im not sure how to ...
last post on November 03, 2011 - by Ghostblast
"SketchSphere" - Evaluation Help :)
Hi, As a part of my final year project, it is mandatory to carry out a research project on a framework that will facilitate end users to virtually design a garden. Therefore, I need some help with ...
last post on November 02, 2011 - by pavan168
Made this 3D video for woek
Made this Medical breakthrough video for work- Computer animation is in 3D. It’s pretty cool and only 30 seconds long You tube ...
last post on October 30, 2011 - by halloweenscream
Help silk material
Can anybodz help me with tut, or so how to make a material looks like silk? I have pretty much problem with ...
last post on October 28, 2011 - by mark_grape
Maya's version of "Break Vertex"
I need to break a couple of verteces, need the edge in the back to continue the normal way, and the other side to get out of line.. hard to explain.. I mean: What i got 0. What i want C. And ...
last post on October 25, 2011 - by georgpaul49
Need people to help
I need some people to help me make a game. I have so many great ideas all writen down and I know how to make a video game but my models suck and I need a faster programer. So I need (a) voulenteer to ...
last post on October 25, 2011 - by georgpaul49
3D modeling
Hello people! I am looking to study 3D further and would ask an indication of book or video that can teach me the theory of 3D modeling tools because tutorials are easy to find, but on the logic ...
last post on October 22, 2011 - by Crevaoo
Maya 2011 NURBS to Smooth polygons problem.
Im Working on some little background animations for a film short, and I want to have animated lines/tubes, floating in the wind. So I have to animate the induvidual verteces. Problem is, i dont ...
last post on October 11, 2011 - by Ghostblast
2D jpeg to 3D model
Hi, total newbie here! ok, simple question, i have a 2d logo in jpeg and want to convert it to a 3d model which i intend to animate at some point in the future. I have bought Sketchup pro on advice ...
last post on October 07, 2011 - by baalnazzar
Converting 2D...
:?: Hi All... I am an absolute beginner at this sort of thing and was after some helpful hints to get me started... I want to learn how to turn the Walkers Crisp Logo, into a 3D globe, with the ...
last post on October 07, 2011 - by baalnazzar
Where do I start ?
Hi Im totally new to 3d computer art. Im a very good at realistic painting/drawing and sculpting and now wanting to do them in computers. I basically want to be able to do everything ,Be able to ...
last post on September 29, 2011 - by niteshahir
Flattening/ unfolding a low poly model in sketchup
Hey everyone I've been toying with Google Sketchup for a while now. I've made a low poly model of a mask. I intend to build this mask for real with stainless steel sheet. Problem is, I don't know ...
last post on September 29, 2011 - by PixelOz
How to make furniture images 3d
Hi, I'd like to take photoshop/jpg photos of furniture and make them 3d ish so I can rotate them and place them in photographs at realistic angles. Is this possible? Is there a program that would ...
last post on September 27, 2011 - by borntobuild
Autodesk Maya 2011 selection problems
Im working on some gears at the moment, and i just need the top side faces of an item, there are many of them. But but using a box to select them also selects the underlaying faces. I want only to ...
last post on September 26, 2011 - by Ghostblast
House moddeling problem in Maya 2011
Hi all! I'm realy new to this forum and im still getting to know the whole website, so excuse me if i make any mistakes. Anyway, my problem. I am building a house in maya, i have got an plan ...
last post on September 26, 2011 - by Ghostblast
3d modeling
what is 3d modell :roll: What's the meaning of the 3d ...
last post on September 20, 2011 - by maheshphadke18@gmail.com
Modular 3D modeling for a game's 'Character Design' feature
First, thanks for any help you can give me - I am really stuck! :cry: I am trying to create something the character-creators one sees with most RPGs and some simulation games. Its the screen ...
last post on September 19, 2011 - by gray22fox
Creating Image Planes
Hello, I am new to 3D modeling, and am hoping to receive some guidance. I've begun creating models using Image Planes as a reference. I think that it makes modeling characters easy and intuitive, ...
last post on September 17, 2011 - by wadrian
What program for complete 3D world modeling? Or large map?
Can Vue do this? This would be for a game. Very large map, like 100 miles squared. Is this possible to render or could proximity only be rendered while in a game? Can Bryce do this? What ...
last post on September 17, 2011 - by wadrian
Modeling a detailed chair in maya
i've always had trouble modeling because i usually obsess over the geometry looking clean and edge flow being perfect and end up giving up when it gets to the hard part..i started modeling a ...
last post on September 07, 2011 - by swilt
How to go about modeling this chevelle frame?
Hi there.. I had a tutorial that showed me how to do this a VERY long time ago.. but I can't seem to find it anymore. I'm just trying to create a "scale" model of this, but again, I have NO ...
last post on September 04, 2011 - by RaceModeler
Soulz Inc. Programming and Gaming Studios
Hello, Dylan Dodds here talking about Soulz Inc. Game Development. Soulz Inc. is a free programming group for teenage developers who are looking for new members who want to learn to work with an ...
last post on August 30, 2011 - by Soulz Inc.
data before freeze transformation in maya
in maya, after freeze transforming an object, it occurs, not possible to change the pivot to local axis. It gets world axis values. how is it possible to get the pivot to 4local axis ...
last post on August 26, 2011 - by knishua
Creating 3D Point Clouds
Hello, New to the 3D world, so please forgive a very rudimentary question -- I have some 3D images in 3DMax Pro and Autocad, and I'm trying to create Point Clouds. I don't see any options in these ...
last post on August 26, 2011 - by j3dj3d
making 2D writings into 3D
I would love to use zbrush beacause I'm learning it, but I don't want to use zspheres, I want the 3D model of the writings to be blocky. Would normal polygon modeling like with blender/maya/3ds be ...
last post on August 26, 2011 - by j3dj3d
Eye Texturing
I'm pretty new at modelling and i've struck a wall. I don't know why this is happening but when i render it stuffs it up. Any help is appreciated. boards.4chan.@org/3/res/225111 (remove the @ ...
last post on August 25, 2011 - by Leroy
Blender: 1 Million Poly Mesh Produce Scary Lags!
I'm working with Blender for the first time. I've made a model in Sculptris and it ended up having over 1 million polygons. Hey, that's quite fine for a realistic character. Could've been more. In ...
Truespace has quite a few TSX and RSX based plugins
Most are export import export type plugins, but there are a few for other tasks like animation, rendering, etc. TSX types are for older versions of TS and the RSX type are for TS 7.x modeling ...
Self made animation Help
Hey ppl :) i need some advise. first off... im a noob, and i want to find a 3d program that lets me make a few objects and let them interact with each other under certain rules, as gravity. For ...
Converting a model
Hello, i am working on a small project which deals with the chinese period of the time of the warring states. It works everything quite well, but now I have a problem which I am unable to ...
Easiest 3d modeling program
Whats the easiest 3d modeling program available at present, something really basic that could be taught to a 13 year old?. Does anybody have any other ideas for an interesting creative program that ...
Greeble plugin for Max 2010 released
Hi everyone, I have just released the 3ds max 2010 build of the "Greeble" texturing plugin on my website at http://max.klanky.com . The zipfile is available by clicking on the ...
last post on August 20, 2011 - by rockyourteeth
3ds max 2011 - bump map and model
Is possible to apply the bump map not only in the texture of a model but at the model? and if it is possible how in 3ds max ...
last post on August 20, 2011 - by rockyourteeth
Axis of Symmetry
Hi, I'm new to modeling and have a 3d scan of a face that I'm working on, however when I made the scan the axis of symmetry came out weird and I just want to cut the face in half and mirror the side ...
last post on August 18, 2011 - by Ronero
Decreasing vertices in a model...
Hi guys. I've got a bit of a problem with my project. We've got a modeler who produced a very high quality image of an HK VTOL but it has a lot of vertices and polygons. We'd like to lower the ...
last post on August 15, 2011 - by baalnazzar
making bodyparts instead of whole Persons
I've thought it would be better if instead of making 10 different persons to split the model into parts and then model the parts differently. That way it would be possible to make a ton of different ...
last post on August 15, 2011 - by baalnazzar
UVW Mapping Problems
I have this character with an odd UVW problem I would like to solve. First off my character was modeled and unwrapped fine. Then I decided to add a belt to him, so I modeled that up unwrapped it. ...
last post on August 14, 2011 - by creador32
Converting .obj .dfx .3ds to IGS STEP STP or X_T
Can anyone help me understand how to convert a file? I have it in copies of .obj .3ds and .dfx - and I'm being told by a model manufacturer that they need it in IGS, STEP, STP or X_T. Does anyone ...
last post on August 10, 2011 - by vk3d
3d Library
Hi, I would like to create some application where one can virtually walk through some large library building (with many stores) by using the wasd keys. Each shelf contains virtual books and ...
last post on July 23, 2011 - by buddha12
Automatic 3D modeling using photos.
Hello! There is a program that builds 3D models using a number of photos of a real model. It can also decimate number of faces of this model to an acceptable small number and export model in a ...
last post on July 15, 2011 - by Nicerender
HELP with LEGO hair pieces
Hello there! Before i ask, i would like to tell you I am experienced enough in Maya. Now, I have been fighting long now trying to make LEGO hair pieces in Maya. I can't find a way doing them ...
last post on July 07, 2011 - by jonima123
Have you tried deepMesh3D yet?
deepMesh is a low-poly 3d modelling program that comes somewhere between milkshape and 3dsmax for tools and workflow. It's very easy to pick up for beginners, while providing everything an ...
last post on June 29, 2011 - by Leroy
Mesh modelling help
Hey Guys Need some help, i need to make a fishing trap on rhino, like a lobster pot but domed and need equal size hole all over. and idea how one can achieve this? This is what ive achied so ...
last post on June 29, 2011 - by Leroy
3D face model from 2D photo ?
I am looking for some open source library that enables the reconstruction of 3D human face from 2D photo. Does anyone know such a library? Thank ...
last post on June 15, 2011 - by toan
3d modeling
Sunrise Visual Design Co., Ltd. as a professional 3D Architectural Design company, We have professional 3D artist team and Eight years experiences in architectural design and rendering, and we can ...
last post on June 14, 2011 - by ensann
Request for the reference image
Hi guys can any one tell me where can i get human modeling references image(side and front view) for free to model and also separates hand reference image (side and front view please help me i ...
last post on June 11, 2011 - by Ahsankmc
Character Modeler needed
I need modeling help for my thesis film and I feel you could help me. I have three characters designed that need to be modeled for my thesis film. Email me back as soon as possible for the model ...
last post on May 26, 2011 - by jamesanimation
Viewing 3ds max scenes on iPhone or iPad
It has become possible to view and to browse 3ds max scenes with iPhone and iPad. With "3ds Viewer" application in ...
last post on May 21, 2011 - by addenda
Looking for a designer
Hello I am looking for a 3D designer for collaboration. We have done a very basic 2-d character design using templates, for a children's show and we need someone to take these characters and ...
last post on May 15, 2011 - by ouavak
3D character by arturo. 3D Modeling Forum 3D character by arturo.
Hi everyone my name is arturo Im new in this forum. I have 2 years working in 3Ds max and I really intersting in character animation so these are my firts characters. hope you guys like ...
last post on May 12, 2011 - by Trax
How to remove a point from an edge in LW?
Hello, Ive got a basic question about lightwave modelling: Trying to learn by modelling a head, now I tried to turn it all into subpatches to see what I've got. Sadly one polygon does not turn ...
last post on May 03, 2011 - by Monkeyman
Best 3D sculpting program
Hey, I've been modeling for about 3 years the old fashion way(wire frame) for video games that im developing and i need to know which is the best sculpting tool. I have a tight budget so i ...
last post on May 02, 2011 - by lyndon
3ds max export problem
Hi, I am into model selling business. Just started it. I am creating my first model of a small bathroom with some shower sets. The tiles have standard materials with.TGA textures applied on them. ...
last post on May 02, 2011 - by lyndon
Need Help.... On 3D modeling, texturing ...
Hello Friends, I am a decent artist, but I've never had much luck in figuring out the world of 3D. What's the best piece(s) of software for me to learn 3D modeling, texturing, and ...
last post on May 01, 2011 - by Trax
Build a Dome Home 3D Modeling Forum Build a Dome Home
Hey everyone. I was wondering if someone could design a 3d model of a biohome . I can't offer any money. But what I can do is put your info under it and place a link to your website. What i need is a ...
last post on April 26, 2011 - by billybatts
New to 3D modeling need some help in polly flow 3D Modeling Forum New to 3D modeling need some help in polly flow
Hey all, First off im sorry if i am posting this in the wroung section of this forum but i was wondering if you guys could help me understand polly flow a little better i been working on my first ...
last post on April 24, 2011 - by tommy3d
Add ons for 3D software
Hi all, I am not a 3D artist, but am looking for 3D software that can (besides modelling etc) do three things. It has to be able to automatically hollow out objects - if I have cube 2 x 2 x 2 ...
last post on April 14, 2011 - by Graham
New to 3d Modeling
I am 15 years old and i am new to 3d modeling and i really want to learn it because i was thinking of working of modeling for video games or movies, so can someone tell me what is the program most of ...
last post on April 05, 2011 - by jawerty
Lightwave, Strata 3D, or Cinema 4D
Hi folks. Just entered the forum here, first time. Thank you for making this available to me and to others. I'm a graphic designer/illustrator and I've decided that I need to jump into 3D modeling ...
last post on March 28, 2011 - by Daniel Smith
Displacement map problem
Hi I'm working on animation right now and I've prepared huge terrain using displacement and I have an army of characters walking it. Everything looks fine but when I tried to open project on ...
last post on March 28, 2011 - by baalnazzar
WHAT DO I DO?!!!! (software)
Hi. Sorry about the big letters, I'm just a little pissed at the moment. What software can I use that is functional, doesn't cost me my soul, and can make something worth looking at without having ...
last post on March 10, 2011 - by Andyba
Movement on a surface in ZBrush 3D Modeling Forum Movement on a surface in ZBrush
Hello. Prompt how to move please bulge (or a dent) not moving a mesh of ...
last post on March 10, 2011 - by Andyba
Modeling an animall cell
Could someone please give me some ideas on how to start modeling a human cell. I'm new in 3D world and begun to work with Autodesk maya a few days ago. I need o model this cell for a science ...
last post on March 09, 2011 - by biomedic
Moving on from Sketchup
I've been doing 3D modelling for a couple of years but I've only really had experience using Google Sketchup, and I know that while it is powerful in its own way (and I've produced plenty of decent ...
last post on March 04, 2011 - by GDA
3DS Max unwrapping problem
Hi, I'm having this really unusual problem in Max and cant figure it out. i need to get it sorted pretty quickly so any help would be really cool. It only happens with a small number of ...
last post on February 28, 2011 - by thegreyman1
Adding Vertices -3ds Max 3D Modeling Forum Adding Vertices -3ds Max
Theres a problem I run into all the time. Take a look at the screenshot to better understand what I'm trying to say. You see the edge I selected on the jet plane, obviously thats supposed to be ...
last post on February 13, 2011 - by raven8000
Please Help in modeling Electric Guitar body 3D Modeling Forum Please Help in modeling Electric Guitar body
Hi, I know the basics of modeling but I'm having trouble making an electric guitar body smooth around the edges. I've tried diffrent approaches with no luck. Please someone help me! I'm using 3ds ...
last post on January 29, 2011 - by ngin3d
SolidWorks CAD to which 3d modeller?
Hi all, I'm new into the world of 3d and need to make that all important first software purchase. I need to convert Solidworks CAD drawings into realistic stainless steel kitchen ...
last post on January 27, 2011 - by Andyba
Softimage Xsi: Extruding along a curve question
I'm new to XSI so this may be a simple question... I have imported two curves: one a boundary curve--say for the outline of a room; the second is a profile curve for a molding that will run ...
last post on January 27, 2011 - by Andyba
Normal mapping problem 3DS Max **UPDATE** problem solved!!! 3D Modeling Forum Normal mapping problem 3DS Max **UPDATE** problem solved!!!
Hi all I'm having this problem in Max when i'm using the projection modifier to create a normal map. The problem is with the two highlighted areas mainly. normally the problem with these red areas is ...
last post on January 25, 2011 - by thegreyman1
Does anyone know if the US army has a 3D modelling career?
I really want to get into 3D modelling and i want to use it for something bigger than just working for corporate companies. Is there any job that includes 3d modelling for the military? Ive ...
last post on January 09, 2011 - by guitarism511
[Arctic Arts] Is hiring!
Greetings, thanks for taking some time reading through this topic, basicly me and my team from Arctic Arts are in need off 3D modellers. We're currently developing a 3D FPS game that'd be ...
last post on January 09, 2011 - by DanTheDun
topmod3d
hello everybody, does anybody has a manual for ...
last post on January 06, 2011 - by toofast