3d forums home Resources for 3d artists

Best 3D sculpting program

Posted: December 07, 2008
ho0va65
Hey,
I've been modeling for about 3 years the old fashion way(wire frame) for video games that im developing and i need to know which is the best sculpting tool. I have a tight budget so i need to know which out of the following tools i should buy: Silo, 3D-Coat, Curvy3D, Hexagon3D. If there is any other affordable sculpting tools (under $300) please let me know.

P.S I am not interested in using blender..... Laughing
Posted: December 26, 2008
Lorgon Jortle
One could torrent an illegal copy of 3Ds Max 9 if they felt like breaking the law. I'm not saying it's good at all, but the software is, in my opinion, the best out there.

If that was not considered, out of the list you have, I recommend Hexagon. I've used it for a while, and it was really user friendly. You sound like you don't really need user friendliness, but power.... so again, back to 3Ds Max and Maya... :-\
Posted: December 31, 2008
3d artist gallery Andyba
Lorgon Jortle, 3ds max is not a sculpting program it is 3d animation software.

HoOva65, if you are talking only about 3d sculpting I think silo 3d is a great software. You can also try Mudbox but I don't know what is the price at the moment after it was bought by Autodesk I imagine that the price went up.
Posted: April 22, 2009
ussy
I use zbrush, but i've tried mudbox before, its a good program too
Posted: May 13, 2009
Marcus Dublin
Your best bet would have to be Mudbox. The learning curve is easier than Zbrush and the price isn't that bad considering what you get.
Posted: July 01, 2009
Logan133
dont use Curby 3D I had a bad experience with it
Posted: October 02, 2009
Bracer
Zbrush is nice.
I don't know much about the current development of mudbox.
Posted: July 24, 2010
3d artist gallery Andyba
3d Coat is quite cool. It is voxel based and has retopology.
Posted: August 09, 2010
simpo
Try sculptris. It is free .. for the time being.
Posted: September 17, 2010
ariff13
zbrush is the best. but some say mudbox is better especially for max user
Posted: September 20, 2010
baalnazzar
Anyone have been looking at the date of the first post? Wink
Posted: January 05, 2011
Vortexx
Does mudbox work well with both 3ds Max and Maya?
Posted: May 02, 2011
3d artist gallery lyndon
totally baalnazzar, it's definitely old news. especially cause blender's 3D sculpt tools have come a long way since 2008. i wonder if the original poster would reconsider Blender currently Wink