3d forums home Resources for 3d artists

3D Modeling Forum

Everything about 3D modeling. Polygons, Nurbs, Splines, Subdivision Surfaces etc.
Roof Designer plugin for 3DS Max
Roof Designer 1.4 has just been released. Version 1.4 includes many exciting new features such as sidings support. Try it for free :www batzal ...
last post on October 30, 2009 - by asaf_am
help modeling a shoe? problems w surface tangency
Hiya I'm a bit of a nood in 3d modeling but i need to make several 3d models of shoes ofr apersonal project. I have some basic knowledge and I'm using studiotools and solid edge. I have no ...
last post on October 25, 2009 - by andre666
need help> reflections in maya
I'm a little new to maya and I'm trying to tweak the proxy geometry on a model. I go into the move tool options and turn on reflection but nothing takes affect. Am I missing something, any help would ...
last post on October 24, 2009 - by CG forums guest
Buzz 3d Model 3D Modeling Forum Buzz 3d Model
i finished this few days ago just wanted to see if you guys like ...
last post on October 16, 2009 - by cgwhat
How can I generate a 3D mesh from a 2D mesh?
Hi. I have a surface mesh of an object (made of triangles) which i would like to be meshed internally with tetrahedrons (so it becomes a volume mesh). I can use 3D Studio max to convert between ...
last post on October 13, 2009 - by chrome86
3d modeling
Sunrise Visual Design Co., Ltd. which is a professional 3D Architectural Design company, We have professional 3D artist team and Eight years experiences in architectural design and rendering, and we ...
last post on October 13, 2009 - by davidsh888
Is there a correct way to model
As I'm just starting out I've been using some tutorials in maya, one had me start from the foot, mirror the object, and build the body (of a woman) up from there. Another had me start from the mid ...
last post on October 12, 2009 - by limacchina
LIMAC CNC Router
Tianjin LIMAC Technology Co., Ltd., located in Tianjin, China, is a high-tech company focus on research, development, and manufacturing of CNC router machines, CNC plasma cutting machines, CNC laser ...
last post on October 12, 2009 - by limacchina
Best software to create simple polygonal sculptures
Hi, I am just looking for the best software for creating a simple geometric sculpture in ...
last post on October 08, 2009 - by horrrrr
What are the basic Rules to Follow doing a 3D Model:
Just to help newbies like me, anyone have a good link or wouldn't mind sharing the info of a list of things to avoid doing or common bad practices when making 3D models? I'll start because I just ...
last post on October 02, 2009 - by lv2drft
Surface Normals Limitations and N-Gon Limitations: 3D Modeling Forum Surface Normals Limitations and N-Gon Limitations:
I'm new to 3D modeling, but have learned a whole lot in a few days. I am putting the finishing touches on my first model, a car which will hopefully be used for a video game, ultimately. I have 4 ...
last post on October 02, 2009 - by lv2drft
Urgent help with Winnie the Pooh
I need help to make Winnie the Pooh's head. I have no clue how to make it even thought tried other tutorial too. I hope someone here can help me and teach me how to make the winnie the pooh's head ...
last post on October 02, 2009 - by Bracer
EasyToy - A Sketch-based 3D modeling Software 3D Modeling Forum EasyToy - A Sketch-based 3D modeling Software
EasyToy is a 3D modeling software. It uses a sketch-based modeling method and a 3D painting method. The user- interface is very friendly, and operations are very simple. A complex 3D model can be ...
Rebuild Surfaces tool - am I doing something wrong??
Hi I'm an animator who specializes in 2D animation and have recently been studying up on 3D to add to my skills. I would say I still have my maya training wheels on. Anyway, here is my ...
3D drawing program?
Hi people, :) I have a question on a 3D program that I'm not sure if it really exists at all. I'm looking for a 3D modelling application, where it basicly works like MS Paint, but so you draw ...
Modelling a Logitech G11 Keyboard 3D Modeling Forum Modelling a Logitech G11 Keyboard
Hi, I'm fairly new at 3d modeling, only took a few tutorials like how to make a realistic earth (with clouds, atmosphere), making chess pieces (pawn, rook, bishop, knight). So i'm just a ...
last post on September 07, 2009 - by Andyba
Bevel Text in Maya
How do you breakup or ungroup letters from a Bevel Text after creating it in Maya? Thank ...
last post on September 05, 2009 - by Scruby
Maya newbie question (display settings) 3D Modeling Forum Maya newbie question (display settings)
Hi, i am very new to Maya and I'm trying to model my first human face. I don't know what i did, but now, when i want to view my model with more detail by pressing the '2' or '3' keys, maya displays ...
last post on September 03, 2009 - by Andyba
Need detailed 3D model of skull interior
I am rather new to this. What's the best way to go about obtaining such a model? Does anyone know where such a model could be ...
last post on August 27, 2009 - by Andyba
Help needed to created a curved 3d model using Google Sketch
Hi this is my first time on here. I have never used a 3d program before and I'm trying to create a model of a space ship based on a 2D concept for a 2D animation. I have got the gist of how to use ...
last post on August 25, 2009 - by Andyba
vue terrain height field export artifacts
Dose anyone know why I would be getting spiked interlace looking artifacts when I try to export a vue terain in a height field ...
last post on August 21, 2009 - by frankrs1
3D Printing used for Tim Burton Movie! 3D Modeling Forum 3D Printing used for Tim Burton Movie!
I read this article that I thought was very interesting. It's about how 3D printing and prototypes were used to create the ambiance and storyline settings of Tim Burton's award winning movie ...
last post on August 20, 2009 - by Andyba
How to add a picture to a computer screen
I need help with getting a picture to appear on my computer I made the other day. Please ...
last post on August 15, 2009 - by Andyba
Swapping parts
I guess this is more for future reference when I make the body parts better, but I had an idea for a game that involves having customizable character appearances as a detail in it, since it would ...
last post on August 10, 2009 - by Andyba
Is it possible to get a job just as a 3d modeler?
Hi, I was wondering if anyone thinks its a good idea to try to and get a job just as a 3d modeler. I've finished an animation course (was only 10 months long though not much in the 3d world) and ...
last post on August 08, 2009 - by mad_styles
That simple but somehow difficult to make arm
I'm working on making human models, and have found the arm to be rather difficult, unlike hands and feet where they just look wrong, but you can still tell they are hands and feet, the arm eternally ...
last post on August 07, 2009 - by galdon
how to make wheel spikes? (rhino) 3D Modeling Forum how to make wheel spikes? (rhino)
new in 3d modeling. my first project. is there some easy way to make spikes? I tried to use "polygon/star"-tool and I managed to make lines, but how to add some visible radius to ...
last post on August 05, 2009 - by dTb
3dsmax help
Hi guys, I've encountered a problem when modelling a character in 3ds max studio and would appreciate some help. I've modelled half a character, unwrapped it and textured him. I now want to copy ...
last post on July 25, 2009 - by dTb
newbie question - limited sculpting functionality required?
I am scanning Point Cloud to Polygons - human faces I want to replace the eyes, which are generally a mess, with preformed eyes. I have such an eye in OBJ format but I need to tweak it for ...
last post on July 22, 2009 - by masteranimation
what program do you suggest??!
I'm a graphic designer looking to create still illustrations. I've worked with Strata but found it to be buggy. However it had a very familiar UI. But I'm not turned off by the UI in Lightwave and ...
last post on July 20, 2009 - by guest
Truespace wire surface meshing not working.
Hi guys. Im just starting out with Truespace as my first 3D modelling software and just learning it. I am currently doing a tutorial for it, making a viperfish. So anyways, im currently trying ...
last post on July 13, 2009 - by Andyba
Request:Trees
Hi, I would like some trees for a gamed called Farmer simulator,im making a map and all the game came with is maple and cherry tree :cry: . Any type of tree would be nice but i would prefer Any type ...
last post on July 07, 2009 - by Andyba
Blueprints in 3D
I am not a 3D modeller, but I want to know how blueprints are helpful to one in creating a 3D model. Also, is there any software available that can directly convert blueprints into 3D ...
last post on July 06, 2009 - by NoobieMan
College information and future careers in 3D Modeling?
I have just finished High School and I am wanting to go work with 3D modeling. Can anyone give me any information about where I can go to college for this as well as what future careers I can have in ...
last post on July 03, 2009 - by Andyba
3D Interior design
Hello, Antipodes Ltd. is a software company that use 3D Studio Max to create a software product for interior designing. On the website www.3dspacer.com you can try on the demo of Office and ...
last post on June 29, 2009 - by kevinshane
need help> Modeling Dragon that's Rig-Friendly
to any modelers and/or riggers out there, i need some help in setting my starting position for modeling my dragon which i will be passing to my friend to rig. we are both students who have learned to ...
last post on June 20, 2009 - by Andyba
Moved: Does anyone know how to create reflections like this.
I know how to create a basic reflection, by flipping the image adding a gradient etc. But look at this reflection: I can't post links... go to alienware's website, and the overview page of their ...
last post on June 13, 2009 - by Andyba
3d Head Modeling
I am look for the best way to model 3d heads from 2d photographs (say for instance I wanted to model my own head). I have Poser, Zbrush, Quidam 2 and Cinema 4d, I want the 3d head to be able to ...
last post on June 11, 2009 - by Andyba
Maya: How to create a "bump". (picture attached) 3D Modeling Forum Maya: How to create a "bump". (picture attached)
hai all, I was modeling a car with a guidance of some tutorial. But in the tuto, i don't get how they created a "bump" as in the picture attached. do i have to split polygon at the ...
last post on June 10, 2009 - by Andyba
need a little modeling help 3D Modeling Forum need a little modeling help
hello everyone i hope your all doing well, i was hoping you could give me a little help with a model im trying to use, first thing though is that, this model was part of a bigger model which came ...
last post on June 06, 2009 - by Andyba
need help on castable 3d model
i have a model that need to be converted in to solid castable model via 3d printer. this is the work i am doing for a client and he asked me to give a volume in the model . ...
last post on June 03, 2009 - by Andyba
Help expanding my modeling knowledge
Hey, LUO here. I'm not new to modeling, but I'm still fairly new to 3ds max and "advanced" modeling. I have the 3ds max bible, but found it of little use when it comes to actually ...
last post on May 11, 2009 - by Andyba
Requesting a model or two...
Hello everybody, im new to the forum. My primary skill is level design, though I have absolutely no experience with modeling..... 6 months ago I began working with Hammer Level Editor for Valves ...
last post on May 09, 2009 - by dTb
how do I convert a MAX file to 3ds?
I downloaded a model from TurboSquid. It's in MAX format. But I want to import this object into another 3D app which only allows imports of .3DS. I do not have a copy of 3D Studio MAX. Anybody ...
last post on April 06, 2009 - by Andyba
I need some help FAST!
Hey guys i need some help. Im in a band and we are just about to release a press kit but we lack a cd cover illistration. I am good with photoshop so i was going to try photoshoping some pics ...
last post on March 25, 2009 - by Andyba
3ds Raytracer out of memory with win 32-bit with /pae switch
Any ideas why I get out of memory for raytracer in half of rendering, I got Winxp 32-bit, with /pae switch enabled, I got 2x2gb geil ultra dragon and automatic virtual memory control enabled, ...
last post on March 09, 2009 - by RAVITOMER
I need 3d human images
Hi everyone.. im new to this forum... i need urgent help all from you.. i need some 3d human images whether they are sitting positions from any view.. please help thanks in ...
last post on February 26, 2009 - by Huva
Modo
I've been using a lot of modo latly... really hard to use at first when coming from Max/Maya... Does anyone have any good ...
last post on February 16, 2009 - by Andyba
3D modelling
my ...
last post on February 15, 2009 - by Andyba
MAX Scripts needed urgently
I would like a script that extrudes multiple closed polygons to a specific plane. I have the profiles of several buildings and just want to extrude them to the ground. Also I have a editable mesh ...
last post on February 13, 2009 - by Andyba
How would you model this
Hi I am a grad student at the rhode island school of design. I am planning t a large chandelier made from credit card sized fresnel magnying lenses, zip tied together to form a 3d sheet. It is made ...
Railroad Modeling
We are currently studying on a simulation project for training the locomotive drivers. We are investigating the possible methods for 3D graphical modelling of the railway. Question is how to reflect ...
HELP with Lightwave
hi i have downloaded Lightwave 9.3 trial and i clicked it and it poped up this error :( http://aycu03.webshots.com/image/33442/2002286427157757827_rs.jpg pls help me as soon as possible thx ...
Quick 3DS Max question
Hi, im just starting out with 3DS Max and i think i have the basics down. Im trying to create a replica of HMS Invincible (basically im making an aircraft carrier), anyway im having trouble with the ...
last post on January 14, 2009 - by Andyba
new to 3dsmax
hi there, i'm quite new to 3dsmax, and im hoping to learn how to model organic/human thing in it to begin with, i think i already have the material editor figured out and the reactor physics thing ...
last post on January 10, 2009 - by Andyba
Any cartoon models out there to rig?
Hi, sorry if this is in the wrong section! None of my fellow students have any models I could rig for them, I don't suppose anyone here does? I'm looking for a biped, 'toony' type, with enough ...
last post on December 31, 2008 - by Andyba
Beginner question - 3d Model for Packaging/Cans/Bottles et..
Hi everyone, I have just joined this forums to research some of the tools I need to create 3d packaging like this link here: http://www.doschdesign.com/products/3d/Packaging_Design_V2.html I ...
last post on December 26, 2008 - by rpadc2002
3d character modelling in maya
3d character modelling in ...
last post on December 26, 2008 - by Andyba
A complete begginer calls for help
Hi all, my name is elwood. I have recenlty become interested 3d modeling for PC games coded with C++. I am a complete begginer and am not to sure how I should get started. If any of you can help, I ...
last post on November 21, 2008 - by chidgey
[NOOB-Needs-Help] Terminology Question: Segments
What is the definition of a segment in terms of 3D Modeling? What is the concept behind being able to select how many segments an object has? In reference to GMAX, you can select how many segments ...
last post on October 18, 2008 - by Andyba
Maya 3d modeling resources
This topic is strictly for Maya 3d modeling resources. Any links to tutorials and tips on 3d modeling in Maya are welcome ...
last post on December 29, 2007 - by dresdex
Maya Help for a newb
Hey, Im new to Maya and I managed to hide the three dimensional axes that allow me to switch views, so now Im stuck on a two dimensional view. How do I get it back? ...
last post on December 29, 2007 - by dresdex
Maya: Get depth data??
I am trying to get the distance from the camera to all visible points in the scene. The z-buffer is exactly that, correct? However I've been told that you cannot export Maya's z-buffer. I tried ...
last post on December 04, 2007 - by Sloan
3ds Max: U Loft
How do i make a NURBS U Loft on some Curves with ...
last post on October 08, 2007 - by tyree
3ds Max: PatchTools script package
There should be a package of scripts useful to patches like the MeshTools package is for mesh editing. Patches have such fantastic potential for making smooth, clean models, but they have some ...
last post on June 01, 2007 - by Andyba
Request for 3DSMAX 2.0 or Softimage 3.7
I am trying to do some modeling of some old ABC Lithtech 1.0 models and am in desperate need of these versions. If someone could direct me where to obtain coipes, I would appreciate it. If anyone ...
last post on May 17, 2007 - by Dude13
Softimage Xsi: snap
I use two different machines for XSi. On machine one, when I select a number of random points, turn snap on and translate along an axsis, all the points "snap" to the same value for the ...
last post on May 04, 2007 - by abax
3ds Max: holes and edge question
since i wasnt able to find help or tutorial on making nice holes on uneven surface with out using boleans... i decided to use splines and mix with cut tool... my question is how do i use 3d snap to ...
last post on April 20, 2007 - by Kortelas
Softimage Xsi: spline patching in xsi
Hi is there a way to do spline patching in xsi like in LW ...
last post on April 13, 2007 - by Zadrot
3ds Max: creating image planes
Hi, Can someone explain to me how to create image planes using 3dmax? I know you can set background bitmaps, but the problem there is that the images from viewport to viewport are not the same ...
last post on April 12, 2007 - by indico
Softimage Xsi: question about curve and surface.
1.If I wanna have a curve being both linear and cubic, do I have to draw different parts of it and merge them together? 2. After lofting two curves, how can I make surfaces at both ends? The only ...
last post on April 05, 2007 - by drop007
Softimage Xsi: Duplication problem! (URGENT)
Hello! I create a model using couple Boolean->Union's and deleted history etc. so the object should be clear now, but whenever I duplicate it, it turns into something weird, I don't even know ...
last post on April 05, 2007 - by Katie Chiesa
Softimage Xsi: Necklace
Hello, I want do dress up my current character with a necklace. A primitive one with teeth lined up on it. Naturally, a torus with cloth would just flatten. A Disc with a displacement would be ...
last post on April 04, 2007 - by sperll
Softimage Xsi: modeling organics?
Im looking to see any one who knows of any good tips on modeling in general and also looking to find any web sites or references that may assist me in modeling an mossy looking tavern. like middle ...
last post on April 02, 2007 - by Plumbum
3ds Max: Good modelling technique
When modelling, lets say you are attaching a hand to the body(figure below) what if the hand is more complex than the body, do you have to go and divide the edges in the body to get it to match the ...
last post on March 28, 2007 - by Axan
3ds Max: Question about Patch Handles
Hi all. I have this problem, I have some point around one edge of my path that have only ONE Handle, instead of three. Is there anyway to get other two handles back? I need them badly to change the ...
last post on March 28, 2007 - by Gloski
3D modeling
hello guys, here's my first 3d modeling i made. i just started using 3D Max. what can you say about my work? ...
last post on March 12, 2007 - by julievive
3ds Max: Polytrans import from maya to max
Hey guys well I am a native maya modeller but maya's render is very hard to work with so I decided i will model in maya and render in max. The problem I have is that when I export a maya mesh as a ...
last post on January 26, 2007 - by Andyba
Softimage Xsi: importing dxf?
Is it possible to import dxf files or exported maya models? How would I do ...
last post on January 22, 2007 - by Katie Chiesa
Softimage Xsi: Symmetry with Extrusions
The symmetry tools in XSI are nice, however, after watching a video demonstration and reading the docs over, it seems that the symmetry only functions on transformations of points\edges\faces. ...
last post on December 22, 2006 - by Andyba
Softimage Xsi: how to merge?
if you are modeling with NURBS how can you merge singe points of different curves ...
last post on December 22, 2006 - by Theamxyz
Softimage Xsi: Stupid run-time error
every time, i try to duplicate a polygon and scale it or translate it i get a "Just-in time debugging run-time error" and it asks me to choose what my debuggeer is that i want. Is there a ...
last post on December 18, 2006 - by Skubbyl
Softimage Xsi: edit cordinate?
Is there a way to tell tagged or selective points to all snap to a specified cordinate? Much like SI3D's edit>cordinate but on many cordinates at ...
last post on December 15, 2006 - by Spade
Softimage Xsi: Renderable Splines in Xsi??
I'm modelling a very detailed "Mary Rose" at the moment, but i'm having problems with the rigging, is there a method similar to that in Max, where I can draw a spline curve and render ...
last post on December 15, 2006 - by MadWolf
XSI5: URGENT Nebula in particle
Hello I'm still searching some TUTORIALS or any kind of help to create a very nice NEBULA or DUSTY SPACE CLOUDS in particles thank you very much ...
last post on December 02, 2006 - by Tech3D
xsi5: cloning with rotation around a point
Hi I'm trying to clone my object so that the clone rotates around a given point. How can I do it? Right now I'm trying to move the pivot to the correct place, but when I start rotating It moves ...
last post on November 01, 2006 - by Andyba
xsi5 : Tesselate a mesh regularly?
Can I "tesselate" an object so that it has only equally sized polygons? (kind of like a linear subdivision) I want the whole object to have the same mesh density all ...
last post on October 03, 2006 - by Andyba
Wings 3d - 3d modeling resources
This topic is strictly for Wings 3d - 3d modeling resources. Any links to tutorials and tips on 3d modeling in Wings 3d are welcome ...
last post on September 14, 2006 - by Andyba
Light Wave 3d modeling resources
This topic is strictly for Light Wave 3d modeling resources. Any links to tutorials and tips on 3d modeling in Light Wave are welcome ...
3ds max 3d modeling resources
This topic is strictly for 3ds max 3d modeling resources. Any links to tutorials and tips on 3d modeling in 3ds max are welcome ...
xsi5: outline a curve
How can I make an outline out of a curve in XSI? Like in 3ds ...
last post on September 02, 2006 - by Andyba
3ds max: Repeat object function in 3ds max8?
Hi I cant find the repeat object function in 3dsmax 8 Anyone can give me a hint? I don't like to build 32 objects manually ...
last post on July 12, 2006 - by Theamxyz
3ds max: Blob mesh modeling?
Is there a blob mesh modeler that will let ya use custom mesh's as blob / clay ...
last post on July 12, 2006 - by FireWall
3ds max 6: How do I loop select a group of polys?
Hello everyone In max 6 how do I loop select a group of polys? And also if possible how do I clone an object made of polys along a ...
last post on July 12, 2006 - by Rod Politoff
XSI: adding thikness to flat polymodels in XSI.
I have created a flat surface how do I add thikness to it in XSI? In 3ds max there is this modifire called Shell that can do it. I need the same ...
last post on July 11, 2006 - by XsiBigot
3ds max: normals information
Does MAX somehow store more information about normals than you can see in ...
last post on July 11, 2006 - by Mefisto
xsi5: edge loop selection
Hi How do I make loop and ring edge selections in XSI? Thank ...
last post on June 23, 2006 - by Carl Cates
xsi5: element selection
How do I select elemetns in ...
last post on June 22, 2006 - by Reid6754
3dsmax: 3ds file error on import
Guys im having a big problem, I got a machine sent to me in STEP. i open the step files in Rhino, save as .3DS, I have done it this way for this client for a few jobs and it works fine, but i have ...
last post on June 22, 2006 - by Sid Conner
xsi5: How to align an object to a polygon in xsi?
Hi Is it possible to align an object to a polygon in xsi? If yes ...
last post on June 22, 2006 - by Carl Cates