3d forums home Resources for 3d artists

3dsmax help

Posted: July 24, 2009
Jakob
Hi guys, I've encountered a problem when modelling a character in 3ds max studio and would appreciate some help.

I've modelled half a character, unwrapped it and textured him. I now want to copy and mirror the model in order to merge the two halves into a single, whole character. It's all well and good.

But when I mirror the copy, the old objects UVW modifier doesn't get carried over to our new, mirrored model. From what I can tell, one should preferably merge the two models before unwrapping and texturing the model. I don't feel like throwing away all the work I've put into unwrapping and texturing this guy, so I was hoping there is a way to carry over the UVW modifier or something.

I'm pretty sure I've managed to do this before, but I can't remember how I did it.

Also, extra point for you if you can answer me this question:
Why do the UVW map have to reset itself when I go back to the modelling phase? I'd think that if I moved a vertex, the UVW map would be slightly warped but still usable, and I could correct that single vertex manually when in UVW-mapping mode. It's extremly annoying that I have to remake the entire UVW map because I wanted the dude's nose to be 0.2 inches shorter.
Posted: July 24, 2009
Jakob
I figured it out by myself. I selected both halves of the model and converted them to editable poly together before merging them. This somehow made the textures stay in place in contrast to just selecting the poly modifier. Really odd, probably a bug.
Posted: July 25, 2009
dTb
Quote:
Also, extra point for you if you can answer me this question:
Why do the UVW map have to reset itself when I go back to the modelling phase? I'd think that if I moved a vertex, the UVW map would be slightly warped but still usable, and I could correct that single vertex manually when in UVW-mapping mode. It's extremly annoying that I have to remake the entire UVW map because I wanted the dude's nose to be 0.2 inches shorter.

The 3ds max is made in such a way that you cannot go down the modifier stack and change the topology of the model if an unwrap modifier is above. But you can apply a edit poly modifier above the unwrap to edit the model. This way you will obtain exactly the above. Or you can collapse the UV unwrap modifier, this will save all the setting to the UV map. Then edit the model and add a new unwrap modifier to tweak the UVs.