3d forums home Resources for 3d artists

Modelling a Logitech G11 Keyboard

Posted: September 04, 2009
KingA
Hi,

I'm fairly new at 3d modeling, only took a few tutorials like how to make a realistic earth (with clouds, atmosphere), making chess pieces (pawn, rook, bishop, knight).

So i'm just a beginner.

I want an advice on how to make a particular part of this keyboard (the smooth margins). Screenshot

If some1 wonders how a Logitech G11 Keyboard looks like, search for it on google images Razz.

Clipboard01aweweqe.jpg
3d artist gallery Andyba
Here is a reference for others to see how it looks:

For the smooth margins try edge bevel and mesh smooth where appropriate.
Right now the problem with your approach in modeling this keyboard is that you are trying to make it a single object while in reality it consists of multiple elements that are united together.

Right now if you try mesh smooth you get a mess. But if you extract the margins as a separate object and adjust the topology so that it is all quads, then mesh smooth will provide good results and will not spoil the rest of the object.
KingA
And how do i revert the changes i did :-s? As the margins are already beveled, and i want to restore it, and make a subobject from i

LE: Ok, i deleted those vertices and created polygons again but now that margin has only 1 segment.

And should i detach it as an element or a new object?

Nevermind, i did it Razz
3d artist gallery Andyba
KingA wrote:
And how do i revert the changes i did :-s? As the margins are already beveled, and i want to restore it, and make a subobject from i

Nobody said it will be easy. Smile
edge ring and edge loop select + delete or collapse may help to clean the 3d mesh faster. At least that's how I am usually doing it. Smile

KingA wrote:
And should i detach it as an element or a new object?

Detach it as a new object, you have more control this way. Can apply modifiers to it only, smooth it and so on.

KingA wrote:
created polygons again but now that margin has only 1 segment

I am not sure I understand what you mean.
Can you attach a screen shot?
KingA
Quote:
I am not sure I understand what you mean.
Can you attach a screen shot?

Nevermind, cuz i did it Razz... i used Slice Plane and quickslike

Pfff....nevermind Razz i screwed it up, i'm putting it on hold...i need to learn some more, i created 2 overlapping edges with Slice plane

thanks for the help

fe5werfef.jpg
Posted: September 05, 2009
3d artist gallery Andyba
There are some cool tools in 3ds max you should learn first.
Learn using select edge ring + connect it can be used instead of slice Smile

Here is a cool blog about edge loop modeling

And you can also extrude border edges by pressing the shift key and moving them.
Posted: September 06, 2009
KingA
Another question: what's the diff between editable poly and editable mesh? When should i use poly, and when should i use mesh? I used Editable poly on my object.

Oh, and i have to take pictures of my own keyboard because i can't find side, front images of it...

Lets suppose that we want to model something that we don't own, and u only have some pics of that object displaying its top or front view... what do u do? U just imagine Razz ?
Posted: September 07, 2009
3d artist gallery Andyba
KingA wrote:
Another question: what's the diff between editable poly and editable mesh? When should i use poly, and when should i use mesh? I used Editable poly on my object.

Editable mesh is an old approach to modeling that exists in 3ds max since the first version. I think it is still there for the sake of backward compatibility with older 3ds max scenes. I heard people using it for low poly models for real time games because you can control each triangle, but I never did it personally and I don't see the point.
Editable poly is so much better, you can use edge rings and edge loops, connect edges etc. So I don't see any reason to use editable mesh any more.

KingA wrote:
Lets suppose that we want to model something that we don't own, and u only have some pics of that object displaying its top or front view... what do u do? U just imagine Razz ?

Yes, imagine, apply logic, research other similar objects, try to find the photos in google. Smile