3d forums home Resources for 3d artists

Greeble plugin for Max 2010 released

Posted: May 01, 2009
Klankster
Hi everyone,

I have just released the 3ds max 2010 build of the "Greeble" texturing plugin on my website at http://max.klanky.com . The zipfile is available by clicking on the "2010" button, and contains both 32- and 64-bit versions.

The plugin is provided free of charge. If you like, you can help support my local wildlife rehabilitator, Pine View Wildlife Rehabilitation Center, by making an optional donation via PayPal. Pine View helps hundreds of sick and injured wild animals every year, getting them back in shape and returning them to the wild. They do good work there, and I'm hoping I can get the support of the 3D modeling community to help them out with their expenses.

I will give 100% of all donations to Pine View.

Thanks to everyone who donates, and enjoy the plugin!

-Tom
Posted: May 03, 2009
dTb
Hi Klankster, what is your plugin for?

It is a nice thing you care about wild animals btw.
I totally support you and wish you luck!
Posted: May 03, 2009
Klankster
The "Greeble" plugin is a modifier that creates random detail on surfaces. The original idea was to create the kind of detail on the Death Star trench from Star Wars. Take a look at greeblelicious(dot)com for some really cool examples of what greebling can do.

I'd post some photos but I'm new here and the forum software won't let me.

-Tom
Posted: May 13, 2009
Marcus Dublin
Thanks a bunch, I'll have to give this a try.
Posted: June 02, 2009
deekay
i love greeble. thanks a lot! and i love your approach too.
Posted: June 23, 2009
Darke
I have big problem with Greeble.. I tried use it on 3Ds Max R9 version (on notebook, of course version of greeble for R9) and on 3Ds Max 2010 (on Desktop). On Both Pc I have same error when I try use it on editable poly, or Editable Mesh (in new scene with simple object it sometimes work) 3Ds Max freez and Crash, on both pc is instaled Vista 64bit..
Posted: July 05, 2009
Darke
Ok.. thansk for (no)responese, it even inpossible sent PM on this forum... Itīs really "usefull"
Posted: July 06, 2009
3DCGI
After millions of page searching i have finally found the greeble 2010 plugin.
Now where do you mount it in the directory?
3d artist gallery Andyba
Darke, greeble plugin is not something used by all 3d artists. I've never used it and I can not answer your question.

Regarding private messages you have to be a registered and post at least 10 messages to be able to send them. Otherwise all our members will start receiving spam or even scam messages which is quite unpleasant.
Darke
Ok, I am sorry for my post, but I really like Greeble plugin, I use it from 3ds max R7 and itīs really great help for Space ship final tounch. Actually I work on one free project, and I know Greeble can be great help, but It wont work on Vista 64bit on any version of Max (it work, but it crash extremnly often). I tried it on both PC, so I want to ask autor about this problem, but I really cannot find direct contact. So, I am sorry again and bye.

3DCGI: directory: stdplugin (standarts plugin for 3ds max, there are default plugins but you can add your own) OR plugins (User plugins)
Posted: July 26, 2009
tntxplode
How do you texture greeble buildings like have a brick texture for the walls and a concrete texture for the roof and a road texture for the ground??? Dose anyone know how any help wwould be helpful.
Posted: August 31, 2009
Weeper
Same problem as Darke. Max 2010 crashes immediately on applying Greeble, on 64bit Vista at any rate. Very disappointing, since I've been a fan of this plugin since about max 2 or 3(and of Tom Hudson, since Degas Elite and CAD-3D on the Atari ST--anyone else remember that far back?). Klanky's website offers a helpfile, but that's no use either. It has a contents list, but no contents!
Posted: September 03, 2009
Weeper
Downloaded & installed it again today, and OH JOY! it works. Still no luck on the helpfile though. Says "navigation to the webpage cancelled". Can anyone explain this? What webpage?
Posted: September 18, 2009
NickolasM
More from 3DMax 4 Greeble was my favorite plug-ins to create spaceships.
Posted: October 02, 2009
Bracer
The Greeble plugin is almost synonymous with max.
Thanks Klankster
Posted: October 21, 2009
Klankster
Incidentally, to get the Greeble help file on my site to work, you must right click on the .chm file, select "Properties", then click on the "Unblock" button and then click on "Apply" -- Some dumb security measure Microsoft requires. That enables the help file to work.
Posted: October 21, 2009
Klankster
... and I am looking into the problem with Greeble and Vista. There is NO REASON I can determine that would cause this to happen. It is the same code running under Vista and XP and should work.

Unfortunately, I don't have Vista installed on any of my computers and so can't test this problem -- I use Windows XP 64 because it works, and because it works there was no need to replace it with Vista.

Sorry about the trouble, but when I get a solution I'll post information on my findings.

-Tom
Posted: November 09, 2009
CG forums guest
The plugin works w/simple geometry (i.e. a plane). It crashes with more complex geometry (i.e. a poly mesh w/extrusions)
Posted: November 12, 2009
rj_uk
Im having the same vista problem on windows 7 (x64).

Greeble works fine on primitives but will crash on poly/mesh shapes.
Posted: January 07, 2010
Algomorph
THANK you. I've been using Greeble since 3Ds Max R3! I don't really use Max that much anymore (switched to Blender, since it's really very nice now), but I very much appreciate your work.
Posted: February 09, 2010
Klankster
OK, I think I have a fix for the crashes some of you have been having. I have a test build for Greeble 1.6 up on my website for Max 2010 32- and 64-bit. I tested it against a known crasher and it works fine in my tests.

Unfortunately this forum won't let me post a message with a link to the file! Hmm. Confused

If you want to test the fix, drop me an email at: tom [at] klanky [dot] com

I can then send you the test version to try out.

Thanks!
Posted: February 09, 2010
Klankster
Incidentally, the problem is I found happens in XP 64 as well as Vista, and I was getting sporadic crashes in XP 32. The bug I fixed was due to some map channels that weren't being handled properly by the plugin.
Posted: September 19, 2010
craigcampbell66
Hi 'Mr Klankster',

great plug in if only I could get it to work. I have downloaded it and tried to extract into both 2010 +2011 Max and Max design with no luck. I have the correct version and have tried both the 64 and 32 bit plugins. Have also tried both the 'plugins' folder and 'stdplugs' folder. My plugins folder continually shows as empty. Even when I try to reinstall to the plugins folder, I get the message (file already exists...do you want to overwrite) but the folder still shows as empty and the Greeble doesn't show up in the modifier panel ( 'below flex') or anywhere else for that matter. Have looked in the plugin manager and no sign there either.

my OP Sys is windows 7 pro 64

any help/advice appreciated,

thanks in advance, Craig
Posted: November 27, 2010
htaiysys
I do not know how to judge this fix,I haven't use it!
Posted: November 28, 2010
Niters
I have download this plugins and it works perfectly !
Amazing plugins ! Thanks for sharing Very Happy .
Posted: February 01, 2011
lynx
brilliant, just brilliant. my hat goes off to you sir! works wonderfully.
Posted: July 27, 2011
behemoth0413
thanks . i will try it as well !
Posted: August 14, 2011
3d artist gallery creador32
I gona give a try to Greeble, thanks
Posted: August 20, 2011
rockyourteeth
I just want to say that Greeble is awesome. I've used it a few times and it's so much fun to use (and time saving!)

I use it on my 3ds Max 2011 with Vista 32-bit, and I have not problems with it.