3d forums home Resources for 3d artists

WHAT DO I DO?!!!! (software)

Posted: March 05, 2011
mcholman
Hi. Sorry about the big letters, I'm just a little pissed at the moment.
What software can I use that is functional, doesn't cost me my soul, and can make something worth looking at without having to get a bachelor's degree in 3d design? On top of that, is there a software like this that can do muscle rigs and things like that as far as animation is concerned? I tried to get houdini, but my processor isn't good enough for that, I guess. I've tried both Blender3d and Maya (maya is at my school), and they're impossible to use with any efficiency without spending fifty years, not to mention every single tool behaves differently and you have to do it EXACTLY right or it just says 'no.'

Any help you could give me would really make my day. I'm about to blow my brains out. All I'm thinking is 'it can't be this hard.' if it was, how the hell do they make movies so fast?
3d artist gallery Andyba
Hahaha LOL! Smile
How the hell professional musicians play the guitar so fast? Smile
Practice, practice and once again practice.
Studios have in house tools that help them make the work a bit faster but they also have the best professionals that worked in the industry for 10+ years.

If you don't have patience and persistence you should try something else.
mcholman
Yeah, but the guitar player actually has a guitar, and when he plucks the strings it plays a note instead of an error message popping up that says "no objects to deform."

Anyway, it just seemed that a muscle rigging system would be the best way to go, instead of just modelling it with polygons. Unfortunately, I have a 32 bit processor and the new version of houdini apprentice will only work on 64 bit macs, and maya is completely user-unfriendly and costs three thousand dollars. Houdini looked, to me, like the most intuitive software out there, providing you with biped and quadruped autorigs so you could just worry about texturing and animating. Is there any way to find a previous version of Houdini that'll work on a 32 bit mac? I tried getting ubuntu on my mac so I could download the 32 bit version of houdini for that, but boot camp is being stupid.
3d artist gallery Andyba
Do You have a 3d model that you want to animate in Houdini or you expect the biped autorig in houdini to create a 3d model for you with muscles and such? Because if you expect the later, it will not happen.
If the second scenario is what you really want - the only program that will do something similar for you is Poser. Smile
Posted: March 06, 2011
mcholman
No, I don't expect it to do it for me. What I'm wanting is, basically, a software that makes sense to use. I'm an artist, so that's how I think. Both Blender and Maya have learning cliffs instead of curves. I know that the professionals use maya for stuff, but they're using processes I don't understand. The maya help manual, when on the off chance it works, only tells you what's possible instead of telling you HOW. and I'm not just a guy picking this up. I've been trying to use blender, with only partial successes achieved by breaking my head against the wall, for five years. It just feels like I'm constantly fighting against every software I find, instead of working with it to harness its capabilities and make something awesome.

Here's what got me onto houdini. What software is this, if you recognize it, or what softwares can do things similar to this:
type in 'cg aslan the lion' on youtube.
mcholman
I think I just found the key to my problem. What I was hating so much was the brick-by-brick way of making the 3d model. What I was needing was something like zbrush. I'm having a look at sculptris. Are there others that you can think of?
What I was really getting at was this: I appreciate that the other things, such as particle effects, texturing, architecture, and lighting needed to be the way they are, but wanted something more artistic in terms of character modeling.
mcholman
DANG IT!!!! Sculptris is WINDOWS ONLY!!! GAAAAAA!
Posted: March 10, 2011
3d artist gallery Andyba
Regarding the

The quality of video is too low to see the details so I am not sure, but it looks like Maya to me.

Anyway to create such a lion you have to know the lion anatomy very well. You have to model all the muscles and connect them to the skeleton, then adjust their deformation when the skeleton moves. You have to rig the skeleton so that it is easily animated.
Then you model the actual lion 3d model, in such a way that it is deformable, it should have a nice topology that is easily deformed for animation. To do it You should first create a high detailed 3d model in zbrush or mudbox then create a clean topology around it. Then you bake the smaller deformations into a displacement and bump texture.
Then you setup the clean topology lion 3d model to be deformed by the skeleton and the muscles. Add all the textures and shaders.

The cost of Modeling, texturing and rigging such a lion is more than $10000.
So I don't think there are 3d animation programs that will do it for You yet.
May be in 50 years from now there will be programs that will do just that but not now.