3d forums home Resources for 3d artists

Moving on from Sketchup

Posted: August 02, 2010
DarkMessiah
I've been doing 3D modelling for a couple of years but I've only really had experience using Google Sketchup, and I know that while it is powerful in its own way (and I've produced plenty of decent work and renders from it), it's a fairly basic tool and doesn't have some of the capabilities of other programmes.

So I was looking for some recommendations of what programmes I should try using next, possibly something with elements of familiarity.
Oh, and I'm also wondering if anyone here does still use Sketchup, or has opinions about it.
Posted: August 03, 2010
3d artist gallery Andyba
Sketchup has a very original workflow.
I have used it only a little and only the free version, so I don't know it's full potential.

But lets start with your goals, what do you need the 3d modeling program for? What will you model?
Posted: August 04, 2010
DarkMessiah
I only really model casually, for my own enjoyment. The kind of things I do are recreating household objects, appliances, furniture, full rooms etc. Along with occasionally creating or altering some objects and weapons for game mods.
Posted: September 07, 2010
3d artist gallery G.Dechi
If u ask me go for any kind of 3d pro program like max, maya or c4d when you get 1-2 tutorials it would be quite easy to learn especially when u have experience with a 3d program
Posted: September 08, 2010
baalnazzar
I don't know what to propose because there is many programs and none is better than another. Each one is more comfortable for different persons because... Because it just depends Smile Personally I like to use max. There's a lot of helpful plugins and scripts for max and it's easy to find help when you stuck but these all are just my preferences and it doesn't mean that this program is the best Smile
Posted: September 08, 2010
3d artist gallery S. Silard
I'm Used Sketchup For 1/2 weeks , and I think , that's the best program for beginners to understand the 3D Space . After that I'm started using 3DS max . Now I'm use 3DS max , Soft Image , Inventor ( similar hove AutoCad ) .

So , If you don't know what you want to do , use 3DS max , if you want Biological Use Maya , If you have exact dimensions then use Autocad .

Otherwise the 3DS max is the best , for visual effect's , and you don't need to use post render any time , because with mental ray materials you can do anything .

That's my Opinion .
Posted: March 04, 2011
GDA
Hi
I've been using Sketchup, basic & pro, for a few years now and am looking for a good rendering programme that is compatible. I've tried 3DS but although it's a good programme in itself it doesn't import the Sketchup model very well.
Any hints or tips would really appreciated
Thanks!