3d forums home Resources for 3d artists

Decreasing vertices in a model...

Posted: January 08, 2011
The_GodfatherSJP
Hi guys. I've got a bit of a problem with my project. We've got a modeler who produced a very high quality image of an HK VTOL but it has a lot of vertices and polygons.

We'd like to lower the vertex count while still maintaining the quality of the model. Do you know any tips/tricks/sneaky underhanded ways to do this?

Secondly, are there any programs available which may help? The model was constructed with 3DS Max.
Posted: January 24, 2011
DT_artist
You can actually decrease the polys and make it a low poly model then create a normal map which will allow the low poly model look like a high poly model and help cut down the rendering time.
Posted: May 02, 2011
3d artist gallery lyndon
blender has a retopology tool that is made exactly for the situation you are describing. it will however not be a simple matter of a few clicks and it's done, as much of the model will have to be retraced. try a search for some tutorials on "blender retopology". the decimate modifyer in blender on the other hand does provide a simple solution to your problem as long as you are not too concerned with the topological results (meaning that the geometry will end up looking a bit messy).
Posted: May 12, 2011
Trax
I use Zbrush for a lot of modeling now a days and I use TopoGun to retopologize my high poly models, give this a try:

http://www.topogun.com/
Posted: August 14, 2011
3d artist gallery creador32
thanks guys, I willl give a trie to topogun.
Posted: August 15, 2011
baalnazzar
You may retopologize it or try to optimize it automatically with max