3d forums home Resources for 3d artists

Need Help.... On 3D modeling, texturing ...

Posted: April 04, 2011
Daniel Smith
Hello Friends,

I am a decent artist, but I've never had much luck in figuring out the world of 3D. What's the best piece(s) of software for me to learn 3D modeling, texturing, and animation?

Thanks a lot for your Help... Smile
Posted: April 26, 2011
billybatts
Well, I would say that blender is the best program to start with if you either want to start learning about all this and help make mods or practice for the industry. However, if you ever do decide to do this in the future I would recommend getting maya or max. Modelling is debatable on both sides, but defiantly go with maya for animating. Good luck!
Posted: April 30, 2011
kamalpahuja
well......i guess, if you are a good artist, then Software is just a TOOL, 3d generates from your mind. Tool operates as per users command.
Posted: May 01, 2011
Trax
Blender is free and yes a pretty good start. The interfaces still baffles me.
3DS Max is a great modeling tool, um not so much animation but not impossible.
Maya is GREAT for animation absolutely love it, personal opinion. I model in Maya and every day I find a new way to do things and at times I trust it to be faster than 3DS Max, but as billybatts says its debatable on both sides.

To be honest my workflow, depending on what I am trying to achieve, works one of two ways:

Zbrush > Topogun > Maya
Maya > Zbrush > Topogun > Maya

And if you are wondering, Zbrush is a 3D sculpting tool and Topogun is a retopology tool.