3d forums home Resources for 3d artists

Blender: 1 Million Poly Mesh Produce Scary Lags!

Posted: August 24, 2011
Olofka
I'm working with Blender for the first time.

I've made a model in Sculptris and it ended up having over 1 million polygons. Hey, that's quite fine for a realistic character. Could've been more. In Sculptris (and ZBrush, too) the model works great, without any lags or freezes. But when I export it as .obj file (45mb it is) and then import it into Blender - it starts to lag terribly, especially in edit mode. I can't work that way, it's impossible. Is there any solution? I don't know, maybe there's an option to hide part of the model, leaving only the area I'm working with? Or to split it into segments, at least? Anything? I've tried reducing poly count to 200k but it didn't help. And thus I don't want to sacrifice quality of the model, I'm striving for extra realism.
Posted: August 25, 2011
3d artist gallery Andyba
Well... 1 million polygons is quite a lot for a 3d character that you want to animate.
Sculptris and Zbrush are sculpting software that's why they handle with ease such details, blender is an animation software which has a different purpose.

You can bake all the fine details of the 3d model to normal maps, which you can use for displacement or bump while rendering in blender. At least that is the procedure used in most studios.

BTW what hardware do you use?
3d artist gallery Andyba
I have just checked and you can use the sculpt mode to edit this kind of 3d models in Blender.
Leroy
If you can increase your system RAM and get a bigger HD as Windows uses HD space for virtual memory. Also consider looking into a newer video card for your system to help handle rendering tasks for efficiently.