3d forums home Resources for 3d artists

Easiest 3d modeling program

Posted: September 29, 2007
Johnny_McD
Whats the easiest 3d modeling program available at present, something really basic that could be taught to a 13 year old?. Does anybody have any other ideas for an interesting creative program that could be taught to youngsters? It could be anything to do with music, video editing, not too technical.
Posted: February 13, 2009
3d artist gallery Andyba
modo 3d is easy to use and mudbox is very easy to use.
I remember I was learning 3d studio 4.0 for dos when I was 15 Very Happy
It was a really great experience.
Posted: April 16, 2009
simpo
Personally, the easiest program for me is Carrara

But, if you want something free.. then Blender is the one.

But Blender is not conventional.
Posted: May 13, 2009
Marcus Dublin
You may also want to give Silo a go. It's pretty cheap and has a simple learning curve.
Posted: June 11, 2009
3dyoyo
Hi, Here's a new release that I recentely came across. This software is a lot cheaper. Check out this video, "Fluid Simulation Demo" at youtube. I'm sorry I can't post links here because I'm less than 15 days old to this forum.

If you're interested, go to youtube and type neevin2009 in the search bar, then at the bottom, you'll find "Fluid Simulation Demo". click it to watch and check the link in the description box.

Thanks
Neevin

Johnny_McD wrote:
Whats the easiest 3d modeling program available at present, something really basic that could be taught to a 13 year old?. Does anybody have any other ideas for an interesting creative program that could be taught to youngsters? It could be anything to do with music, video editing, not too technical.
Smile
Posted: October 02, 2009
Bracer
Sketchup is handsdown the easiest program in my opinion.
Posted: October 12, 2009
limacchina
modo 3d
Posted: November 09, 2009
crefun
EasyToy should be the easiest 3d modeling software.

Go to youtube and you will find "EasyToy 3D modeling"

Johnny_McD wrote:
Posted: January 07, 2010
Algomorph
Blender 2.5 is the new release, and you know, I took a look at it and said "wow!"

It's looking much friendlier then previous blender versions. 2.5 is still in development, but I'd say: check it out before you consider any commercial option.
Posted: February 03, 2010
thehell667
For me Autodesk Maya 2010 is most entertaining and easiest for me(funny I just know using Maya as 3d modelin program)
Posted: March 15, 2010
Tox
You are out of your mind thehell677 for showing Maya as the easiest software in 3d. its most complicated and among most advanced software in the industry. id rather say google sketchup in the easiest 3d software out there.
Posted: March 31, 2010
VexBlade
I would say not to go with the easiest, go with something you can affort and something that you will use to continue working in 3d.

No point in getting something easy but noone uses it in the industry.

Your just going to then need to learn a whole new program and trust me most 3d apps are totally different to one another. You can just know 3ds max and expect to be as good using maya.
Posted: April 06, 2010
PixelOz
I think that you could consider Sketchup, Modo 3D or perhaps Cinema 4D. Of those I think that Sketchup is the easiest to learn and the basic version is free like Blender and pretty capable.

The New Blender could be a free alternative cause I think that in the new version it will be easier to use but version 2.6 is not ready yet (2.5 is a test version and is not complete until version 2.6 around this summer which is not that far away) and of the free alternatives for serious 3D out there I think Blender 2.6 is one of the best.

You can go now and use the stable production version of Blender which is 2.49b and is a very capable program but the new version 2.6 due in summer is a mayor departure from the old Blender and if your kid learns Blender now he/she may have to relearn a lot when Blender changes are complete in 2.6 so if you are going to consider Blender as an alternative maybe you should wait until summer until 2.6 is finally done so your kid won't have to adapt to the radical changes in version 2.6.

Most 3D programs have usually a steep learning curve so it is something that you just learn gradually, step by step, they do take time to master but when you do master one it is very rewarding if you have the artistic or technical talent or both. It is true that it may be better to stick to one that you think you will use later in the industry cause definitely programs such as 3D Studio Max and Maya are widely used in the industry but these are high caliber and expensive tools and not exactly the easiest to learn.

Some people start with an easier program and then migrate later on to a more complex one but this transition is not easy for some people and for others is like eating pie so how easy or how difficult it is going to be for your child to later on move to another different program is something that you cannot predict.

Despite that I can tell you from my own experience that overall once you learn one 3D program and master its concepts is far easier to learn another than to learn another from scratch not knowing anything about 3D because once you master the concepts of working in 3D like working with triangles and rendering the final picture and texturing and materials and others many of those concepts translate with relative ease to another 3D program.

You made no mention of budget which could be a concern or not because some of these programs go from the free ones to programs that cost thousands of dollars so that also counts. I hear many people say that Cinema 4D is far easier to learn than 3D Studio Max but Cinema 4D is still a relatively expensive program cause even in the basic version it costs around $1,000 and the full version can costs around $3,500 so budget can definitely be a concern.

Ultimately the issue of what 3D program is best to learn can be quite a hot debate. Believe me many people here as you can see will give you many different answers but if you ask me I'll tell you that maybe your kid can start with something like Sketchup or Modo 3D and later on if he or she wishes to move to something different that can be done.
Posted: April 21, 2010
usedcellphones
K-3D is free-as-in-freedom 3D modeling and animation software. It features a plugin-oriented procedural engine for all of its content, making K-3D a very versatile and powerful package.
K-3D excels at polygonal modeling, and includes basic tools for NURBS, patches, curves and animation.
Posted: September 17, 2010
ariff13
max is not that hard actually. with the right tutorial you'll be able to do something nice in 2 weeks. really!
Posted: September 20, 2010
baalnazzar
Pixel0z just said everything Wink You can try Sculptris. It;s a nice, free and simple tool. Have fun Smile
Posted: October 06, 2010
TheArkayProductions
I knew max in 3 days. it's easy, fun and if you want to do something in the 3d world then TAKE IT! haha
Posted: June 07, 2011
CG forums guest
Okay, I too am a 13 year old, and I have a software- Bryce 7.1 . It is not free, but it has a PLE which has no limitation or watermark. I use that software- it is really very easy to use. Although it has been designed for landscape building, modelling too can be done there. Have a try- it is very simple. I could use this even when I was 11. You can find it at the website of daz (sorry I can't post links). Just try a google search- it will work.
Posted: June 07, 2011
uncle808us
try Cheetah 3d it's a great mac software
Posted: June 25, 2011
RG
Shape Magic is a simple, free model generator. Easy to use. Can't make everything you might think of but there's a lot it can do. Most of the example images shown at the website were rendered in Bryce.
Posted: June 28, 2011
Leroy
Johnny_CD wrote:

I find that Truespace 7.61 Beta 8 is pretty easy to master as it uses simple icon based buttons that are the actual modeling tools in Truespace. It's also a free download. Microsoft, owns it now but it used to be sold and owned by a software company called, Caligari Corporation. It's still available though and getting it now is highly recommended before Microsoft decides to shutdown Caligari's old website. PS: The installer includes an older version of Truespace 6 which you will find a bit easier to use then the 7.61 version. I use version 6 for most of my model making because it supports a wider variety of import and export modeling formats.
These includes popular formats like X, 3DS, ASC, and LWO. Wink
Posted: July 04, 2011
jay1955
ariff13 wrote:
max is not that hard actually. with the right tutorial you'll be able to do something nice in 2 weeks. really!

Hi, I'm new to 3d, but I really wont to learn, 3ds max looks really good, does any one know where to find some really easy tutorials for beginners. Thanks
Posted: July 05, 2011
Leroy
3D MAX is one of the best modelers in terms of capabilties, but still is not the easiest modelers to master, and the cost is also prohibitive for new 3D modeling enthusiests. My suggestion is to do a web search for free or even trieal/demo software. Download those that interest you and find one that is simple enough to understand for your modeling needs. Never purchase software unless you can try it berfore you buy it.
Posted: July 06, 2011
3d artist gallery Nicerender
Whats the easiest modeling program to learn?
I know the company is no longer in business, but Truespace ver 3.0 is the simplest to learn and I believe you can still download it for free. Their latest 7.6 ver. has a more difficult interface compared to ver. 3. I started with ver 1.0 when it first came out and still use it today, all the pics in my gallery were created with it, (ver. 4.3 though)
check them out
Posted: August 08, 2011
JimBo
Hi ~ Do you know if any of these programs can create a relief from a 3D model?
Posted: August 14, 2011
3d artist gallery creador32
They should. what 3d software do you use
?
Posted: August 25, 2011
Leroy
Nicerender wrote:
Whats the easiest modeling program to learn?
I know the company is no longer in business, but Truespace ver 3.0 is the simplest to learn and I believe you can still download it for free. Their latest 7.6 ver. has a more difficult interface compared to ver. 3. I started with ver 1.0 when it first came out and still use it today, all the pics in my gallery were created with it, (ver. 4.3 though)
check them out

TS 3 is still available but rather dated compared to newer versions of TS like 7.61 Beta 8 which is actually 2 modeling software titles in one neat package. If you prefer simple then use the TS 6.6 version and for more features and newer export formats use the 7.61 version. It's still available and free until Microsoft decides to take down Caligari's old website. PS: The site has quite a few free video based modeling tutorials to get new modeling users started.