3d forums home Resources for 3d artists

3ds max 2011 - bump map and model

Posted: June 22, 2010
hellfireworld
Is possible to apply the bump map not only in the texture of a model but at the model? and if it is possible how in 3ds max ?
hellfireworld
especially in a model character
hellfireworld
With other words, i want to make the skin model of a character more realistic without render mode
Posted: June 26, 2010
3d artist gallery Andyba
Can you attach an example image with what you want to achieve?
Posted: July 25, 2010
hellfireworld
i can't attach something right now but i tell u that there are guys who use bump in their textures and they click render in 3ds max and they see their models more real but only in render i want this to see it at the model without render, to be always like that

ex: i saw some guys that added bump maps to create more realistic moon but u can see that only in render i want it always to be like that
Posted: October 06, 2010
TheArkayProductions
i only know that if you have maya you have to click on the high quality view button to see a difference
Posted: February 14, 2011
aaconvict
I dont know if you use z Brush but if you brought your character into Z brush and touched up on the character, you could bring the high resolution character back into the program and bake the bump right onto the low resolution model maintaining all the high detail that you had created in Zbrush.

Simply go to the modify list and add a projection to the low poly model, use the cage to cover both high and low poly model. Then go to render; render to texture; and change your settings to appropriate; then render. That'll give you a bump map that has all your detail and then apply it to your character. As soon as you render your model, all the detail will be maintained.
Posted: August 14, 2011
3d artist gallery creador32
Aaconvict, doing that will increise the size of the 3d model?
Posted: August 20, 2011
rockyourteeth
You can use your bump map with the displace modifier, but you'll have to probably increase the number of polygons dramatically using smoothing or tessellating modifier before you add the displace modifier.

Since a bump map is only a rendering/texturing "effect" and not an actual change in the model's shape, there's no way to really see that in the 3d model outside of the render.