3d forums home Resources for 3d artists

Displacement map problem

Posted: March 11, 2011
baalnazzar
Hi

I'm working on animation right now and I've prepared huge terrain using displacement and I have an army of characters walking it. Everything looks fine but when I tried to open project on another pc the terrain is flat beacause it doesn't read displacement map.
I use 3ds 2011, mental ray and 16bit grayscale tiff as displacement which was made in ZBrush.
I've been trying to convert map to RGB but it results with too different terrain so some characters are flying and some are sticked into it.
I'd be very glad if anyone can help because project working on both pc's would make my work easier and faster Smile
Posted: March 12, 2011
3d artist gallery Andyba
There are no errors? Just the terrain is flat?
May be the paths are different and 3ds max just doesn't see the tiff file on the second PC.
Did you try to load it again manually?
Posted: March 14, 2011
baalnazzar
I've tried. When I try to reload there is error reading tiff file. I don't understand why it is happening if I can read it on another PC.
Posted: March 28, 2011
baalnazzar
I resolved problem in the simpliest way. I gived up with displacement and just used model with dense mesh. There was no way that it won't work. In the future I'll just use RGB maps only.