3d forums home Resources for 3d artists

3D Animation Talk

Discuss All aspects of 3D animation, Animation principles and methods, how to prepare a 3D model for animation, where to find character animation references and how to use particle animation for special effects. Talk about Animating shaders, lights and cameras.
Softimage Xsi: great news for data exchange
hello! i just want to tell you some exciting news: helge mathee, a german cinema4d user is currently working on a new file-exchange format that allows c4d,max,maya,xsi users a samless exchange ...
last post on February 26, 2007 - by Kortelas
Softimage Xsi: Project Curve Question
a question for anyone: I trim the hole in the surface after using project curve, freeze the object and switch to point mode and I notice that the points for the hollow reion are still there.. how ...
last post on February 26, 2007 - by Imho
Softimage Xsi: Thanks it helped
Thanks it helped :bounce: :) :beer: ;) :p ...
last post on February 26, 2007 - by Charles Smith
3ds Max: shag hair glitch
I was wondering if anyone knows why shag hair sometimes causes hair to stick out of non selected mesh even when a material ID is given to certain faces and assigned in the shag emmitter properties. ...
last post on February 23, 2007 - by QuaGo
3ds Max: Biped and physique export to .3ds, what is the secr
I am currently working on a DirectX based game and have created a fully animated, textured character using 3ds Max 4.0 and character studios, I want to use the mesh in my game, but I am having ...
last post on February 23, 2007 - by Kortelas
3ds Max: Help, sticking bones on a multi-object robot?
Hi guys - here is the delema. About 3 years ago I did my first robot (figure1 - It's nothing special by any means. Back then I animated it the hard way, by creating rotations and extensions on the ...
last post on February 23, 2007 - by Shawn Lancing
Softimage Xsi: Hair problem
On my thread I wrote about a problem im having with hair and soft shadows, have a look let me know if you can ...
last post on February 23, 2007 - by Derek
3ds Max: Hardware Shaders
Anyone know how I can get hold of hardware shaders for the Pixel Shader material in MAX4 to work on my GeForce3. The only one I can see is a reflection shader. Lovely though it is, has anyone else ...
last post on February 22, 2007 - by Pusher
3ds Max: any way to remove vertex color ?
Is there any way in max to remove the vertex color information that has been 'baked' into the geometry (after the vertex paint modifier has been collapsed) ? (other than exporting as vrml without ...
last post on February 22, 2007 - by ferroka
Softimage Xsi: DOF expression
Hi, I'm trying to work out the expression that links the depth of field range to the camera interest. I know it's very simple (I've done it before) but It's been a while and I can't remember how ...
last post on February 22, 2007 - by Ted Town
Softimage Xsi: installing 3.8 functioin into 3.9
I want to get a favorite 3.8 tool into 3.9. It's WELD+, I have the .exe and the .cus file in their proper folders ( at least I think so ) So what's next? I can't find where to get it added into ...
last post on February 22, 2007 - by Kortelas
Softimage Xsi: Architectural Rendering
Hi folks, I am attempting some architectural rendering at the moment, and I have seen some really nice stuff around, I am attempting to use a combination of GI and FG, the models I am working with ...
last post on February 22, 2007 - by Spade
3ds Max: Softbodies questions
Hi everyone, I have some important questions I was hoping some of you might help me with... Please open a new scene in Max by going to your max folder, New Scenes folder, Modifiers folder, and here ...
last post on February 21, 2007 - by TanusiaTC
3ds Max: Absolute Local Coordinates?
does anybody know if there's something like absolute local coordinates in max? the problem is the following: if i create bones move and rotate them for animation and want them later to go in the ...
last post on February 21, 2007 - by QuickWeld
3ds Max: mental ray things
i have mr connection well just here to ask question how to set ...
last post on February 21, 2007 - by Murat
Softimage Xsi: how to set weights in the MIXER ?
Hi, i have a little problem here: http://www.shift3d.com/mixer.jpg thanks for helping ! ...
last post on February 21, 2007 - by Yarlagad
Softimage Xsi: Motion Vector files?
Have someone any idea to use the motion vector files that mental ray can export in an animation? This files have the .mt extension, and I don't know what's the effect that I must use in the XSI's ...
last post on February 21, 2007 - by sperll
3ds Max: baking f-curves
hi folks, Is there any Max command or script that will take an f-curve that has multiplier or velocity curves applied to it, and bake it into the result f-curve with its keyframes and handles in ...
last post on February 20, 2007 - by Spade
Softimage Xsi: making dots with procedural textures ??
hi im looking for a way to make little dots on my surface, kind of like you sometimes see on pills. is there any way to achieve that using the texture nodes in the rendertree ? cloud and ...
last post on February 20, 2007 - by Spade
Softimage Xsi: Displacement
Could somebody tell me how to use the lenght/distance/angle displacement settings? I'm working on a terrain, and I'm trying to use displacement to add in the details :). I'm guessing that using ...
last post on February 20, 2007 - by Max3D
3ds Max: Join halves using Meshtools
Here's a technique I like for joining halves of characters (in case you model with a mirrored instance): 1. Make unique, remove meshsmooth, blah-blah.., attach. 2. Go to Border SO level, box ...
last post on February 19, 2007 - by Reid6754
3ds Max: scripting? how to make one object visible only when
ok, is there a way to script so that one object automatically is renderable/non-renderable depending on whether or not a certain other object is intersecting it? it may not make much sense as to why ...
last post on February 19, 2007 - by TzinMaoSui
3ds Max: copying model who has skin modifier
hi all:bounce: ok i have created model and i have applied skin modifier , so it has bones . i wanted same model for many time s , so wheni m trying to select my model and try to copy it , it is ...
last post on February 19, 2007 - by Hulk
Softimage Xsi: Real time shaders
how do you use them? how do you get them turned on? ...
last post on February 19, 2007 - by CC
Softimage Xsi: Can XSI able to show the Fcurve on the viewpo
Can XSI able to show the Fcurve on the viewport with attach with the character like maya does? i think i've seen it able ...
last post on February 19, 2007 - by Ted Town
Softimage Xsi: Node-Shadows in FXTree
i really dont like the fact, that the nodes in the fxtree have shadows now since xsi 3.0. i know this is not the most important thing, but i'm somehow a interface fetishist. and i liked the flat ...
last post on February 19, 2007 - by Theamxyz
3ds Max: Viewport Configuration
In Maya their is an option to Save Preferences. This option saves everything from your current layout, tool settings, UI etc..... Every time I start a new scene in MAX I end up having to change ...
last post on February 16, 2007 - by Vertex Master
3ds Max: leg rig
hi:) does anyone know a good way to rig these legs??? its causing me ...
last post on February 16, 2007 - by Montana
3ds Max: ->> A little question about this testanimatio
ok in short: READ THIS FIRST BEFORE WATCHING THE MOVIE please ;-) title: upcoming stormtest codec: divx 5.0.2 time: 6 secs size: 1,6meg LOOK AT THE THEEPOT and tell me if the tree ...
last post on February 16, 2007 - by CGrat
Softimage Xsi: The new trim tool in XSI 3.0
Has anyone tried the new trim tool? What have you found? I've found it a bit unstable. If I add one projection to a surface there is no problem. However, add a second and things start going a bit ...
last post on February 16, 2007 - by Collar
Softimage Xsi: FramePadding in FXTree
in xsi3, there are frame-padding options now for 3d-rendering. but there are no frame-padding options when rendering from the fxtree! why do people forget such things?! now i have to export sequences ...
last post on February 16, 2007 - by ZaSCoK
Softimage Xsi: shockwave export
i use xsi 3.0 and the shockwave exporter 1.1 xsi write only a temp.xsi file. no w3d ...
last post on February 16, 2007 - by Kortelas
3ds Max: Search...Porsche Model
hi all we search porsche model for our new porsche webstite! for free ! we will add copyright and link to the autor... (file *.max *.3ds *.lwo) check: ...
last post on February 15, 2007 - by Gina
3ds Max: Radial Array Help
Hi, Im just following the tutorial that came with the max file, with the bottles and the sphere etc..but I can't get my radial array to work? Here are my settigns I have tried changed the transform ...
last post on February 15, 2007 - by Shawn
3ds Max: ~~~~~Detailed 3DS MAX 5 PDFs all things explained~~
Found this link on another forum. http://www.studiopc.com/Support.html enjoy ...
last post on February 15, 2007 - by Mefisto
Softimage Xsi: dotXSI import woes
Hiya. I asked this over in XSI Base, but figured I'd give you guys a shot too. :) In short, XSI 2.03 crashes when I try and import a model that has UV and Textures/materials on it that have ...
last post on February 15, 2007 - by QuickWeld
Softimage Xsi: XSI 2.03 : Dopesheet weirdness
Hi :cool: When de-activating constraints tracks in the DopeSheet, the track will disapear. This is not handy ! How can I re-activate it ...
last post on February 15, 2007 - by TzinMaoSui
Softimage Xsi: Animating a Camera
is it possible to keyframe a camera through the viewport navigation functions (orbit, dolly, roll, etc.)? instead to having to work with the animation property panel any suggestion apperciated. ...
last post on February 15, 2007 - by abax
Softimage Xsi: XP Home?
Will XSI run on ...
last post on February 14, 2007 - by QuickWeld
Softimage Xsi: Smoothing between assembled patches
Dear all, Once an assembled, single surface has been created from two surfaces there is still a noticeable interface. How can this be removed to show a smooth transition. (the two surfaces were ...
last post on February 14, 2007 - by drop007
Softimage Xsi: XSI Freelancer needed
In case you missed it: ...
last post on February 14, 2007 - by DoggyJP
3ds Max: Sneak Preview of MAX 5 - THURSDAY 11th July - Londo
Discreet is hosting a sneak peek evening to display the latest features of 3ds max 5. Date: Thursday 11 July, Time: 6:30pm Venue: Discreet, ingeni building, 15-17 Broadwick St, London W1F 0DE - ...
last post on February 13, 2007 - by Theamxyz
3ds Max: object + light issue
here is the Q is there a way (like plug-in or script) that could tell me witch light hits a selected object ?. say I have allot of lights and object and I am working with exclude and include but ...
last post on February 13, 2007 - by Etnic Evil
3ds Max: Material Libraries
Hi Every one Does anyone know of sites where people have material libraries for download so that i can pick them apart and see how they got their materials to better mine. Even just procedural ...
last post on February 13, 2007 - by Montana
Softimage Xsi: New Resource Page on XSI Base
Just wanted to anounce that XSI Base has launched a new resource section for Tutorials,Shaders, Training, ...
last post on February 13, 2007 - by Vagon
Softimage Xsi: dotxsi4maya v1.1 compiled
http://bbs.billwang.net/forum/attach/2002/10/27/1373019-dotxsi4Maya1_1.rar download it form above, already compiled by myself, for maya 4.5 and maya 4.0 enjoy this ...
last post on February 13, 2007 - by abax
Softimage Xsi: PNG Output Format
Hi Guys, I'm looking for a PNG file output addon for XSI 2.xxx. Is there one ...
last post on February 13, 2007 - by Mefisto
3ds Max: bones connect
heey, I have got this little problem. I've made a bones skeleton for a character. But now I want to create a joint angle deformer for the skin. At the pelvis, I only have the upper leg bone ...
last post on February 12, 2007 - by ZaSCoK
3ds Max: Expressions Tutorials ?
Hi, I'm trying to get to grips with Expressions in Max. It's the first time I've looked at them and though the manual isn't bad it gives a pretty short introduction to the topic. I've done the ...
last post on February 12, 2007 - by Tech3D
3ds Max: Shockwave ???
Now I have a scene that i want to add a decent looking shockwave and i have no clue wtf to do... Lol, I want it to look semi-realistic (or as realistic as I can possibly get) Ive got an image of ...
last post on February 12, 2007 - by UVlas
Softimage Xsi: New shader preset on XSI Net
Greetings. Please check out the latest shader preset submission on XSI Net, ...
last post on February 12, 2007 - by Nikollas
Softimage Xsi: Help With Curve Connecting Points
Hi, I was wondering how to do something. My problem: I have two seperate curve lines, and want the two to connect to form a single curve line. I am thinking there is some way to make the two ...
last post on February 12, 2007 - by Vertox
Softimage Xsi: converting path animtion to... in xsi
Hey! Do you know how to convert path animation to explicit translation in xsi? I am trying to make my character jump after running. I did this before in softimage 3d, but I couldn't figure ...
last post on February 12, 2007 - by NewTon
3ds Max: El Portal del 3D y la Animacin
El Portal del 3D y la Animacin, un portal en espaol con tutoriales, entrevistas, anlisis, noticias, foros, concursos, galeras... Todo en espaol. Por fin la comunidad hispana del 3D tiene un lugar en ...
last post on February 09, 2007 - by Gloski
3ds Max: Bones pro 3 Help
Hi all, I am having problems with the shoulder Rig with my character. I am using bones pro 3, for him, I tried to use skin but it took too long to solve all his envelops and still the fingures ...
last post on February 09, 2007 - by Pusher
3ds Max: hello! I'm a new appointee!
I'm a chinese boy ! Much and much close to shine ...
last post on February 09, 2007 - by srge
Softimage Xsi: What are these 'Warn' message mean?
'INFO : "RCFG 0.2 warn 542002: angle between normal and geometry normal more than 90 degrees" 'INFO : "RC 0.1 warn 082034: sample filter other than box 1.0 1.0 not supported ...
last post on February 09, 2007 - by Theamxyz
Softimage Xsi: fcurve keys: from constant to linear or splin
I posted this question in the mailinglist and at XSIbase, but had not gotten a reply. I really need some help on this. Here's the email message. "fcurve keys: from constant to linear or ...
last post on February 09, 2007 - by Rod Politoff
Softimage Xsi: xsi in architecture
I was thinking of writing some scripts so i can use XSI like an architectural program. the main idea is to let the program draw automaticaly the size of a polygon (a wall lets say) or to calculate ...
last post on February 09, 2007 - by QuickWeld
3ds Max: Wildcat 6110 performance with 3ds max
Hi all I am using a new Dell Workstation 530 MT with a Wildcat 6110 but the performance is lackluster at best. Does anyone know the optimal settings for a Wildcat 6110 running 3ds max 4.2 on Win ...
last post on February 08, 2007 - by Tech3D
3ds Max: The Project for You!
Dear artist, Computer Role Playing Games have become very popular in the past two decades. They started with Single Player Text based games and soon spread to 2D games and then 3D, during this ...
last post on February 08, 2007 - by 3dRebel
3ds Max: search for the tutorial or speed tree
I have installed the plugin of speed tree, now I want to look for some tutorials of it,thanks. ...
last post on February 08, 2007 - by indico
Softimage Xsi: The NCCA Masters 2002 Degree Show
Any of you UK guys going to this one? ...
last post on February 08, 2007 - by TzinMaoSui
Softimage Xsi: capcom moves!
http://www.softimage.com/corporate/press/pressreleases/020920_capcom_xsi.htm A major stride for xsi, this article shows that yesterday capcom, makers of games such as onimusha 1 2 and 3(to be ...
last post on February 08, 2007 - by ZaSCoK
Softimage Xsi: A Question
when i duplicate symmetry object, how to make reference plane as symmetry ...
last post on February 08, 2007 - by CGrat
3ds Max: How do I make textures to put on a gun ?
Hi I've just finished modelling a gun and I want to put some textures on it whats the best way to go about it ...
last post on February 07, 2007 - by Shawn
3ds Max: Books?
Anyone know of any good books on character ...
last post on February 07, 2007 - by MadWolf
Softimage Xsi: XSI and Detonators
I posted this at xsibase but thought here would also be a good place. =========== Ok, I thought I'd write this little thing on my findings re: nVidia drivers and XSI 2.03. The system I've ...
last post on February 07, 2007 - by Vertex Master
Softimage Xsi: questions answered by SoftImage
SoftImage HQ answers some interesting questions regarding XSI and the future of ...
last post on February 07, 2007 - by Rod Sigler
Softimage Xsi: xsi animation export problem
I made a poly character and I animated it. I made the export to dotXSI and then with deep exploration i tryed to convert the whole thing to maya but it doesn't export the animation. I checked the ...
last post on February 07, 2007 - by drop007
3ds Max: - My: Scale a biped and all the linked objects [ Ti
- My: "Scale a biped and all the linked objects " - This video shows how to scale a biped with objects linked to the biped...this is a very known problem when you merge a character to ...
last post on February 06, 2007 - by Carl Cates
3ds Max: Wildcat-Max setup
Does anyone know how to set up 3ds max to take best advantage of a Wildcat 6110 video card? Checked Discreet and 3D Labs sites with no luck. ...
last post on February 06, 2007 - by Theamxyz
3ds Max: Scaling bipes with links amd without loosing produc
Hi ... I have a problem that has irritated me for two years or more so please help me :wavey: othen when i Import a character/biped to another scene, then it is not in the correct scale aspect... ...
last post on February 06, 2007 - by dwp
Softimage Xsi: render license mystery
Ok, I've passed this mystery on to support at Soft HQ but I'm curious to know if anyone else is having a similar problem. I was under the assumption that when you are batch rendering, XSI will do ...
last post on February 06, 2007 - by Frank Tinoco
Softimage Xsi: hair question.. please help me out...
I am a little bit out of my water with the hair in xsi.... Everytime i try to make a groom for a character, It shows a little bit like an afro look in the end.... In maya there was a technique that ...
last post on February 06, 2007 - by Pyata
Softimage Xsi: Help: XSI infected my Maya :]
well, i use both proggies so this helps to keep my mind from going nuts ...
last post on February 06, 2007 - by Sid Conner
3ds Max: 3dsmax London Users Group
:bounce: We are informal associations of content creators using 3dsMax in London, UK. We meet on a regular basis to share our work, industry news, latest techniques and technologies, and ...
last post on February 05, 2007 - by indico
3ds Max: Face-station
did you guys see the video ? ..looking good ..it looks like our facial morphing problems will soon come to an end ..however i'm not very sure on the software yet got to test it ...
last post on February 05, 2007 - by Shawn Lancing
3ds Max: im i crazy
didnt the guys from rainbow studios published some images for comments in cgtalk ? i cannot find them (yes i have used search, but no luck) ...
last post on February 05, 2007 - by PiX
last post on February 05, 2007 - by Murat
Softimage Xsi: Cluster with Soft Selection
Hi all I am trying to create a cluster with a soft selection of points inside, a la 3DS MAX. That is, I don't want all the cluster points to have the same weight. Can I edit/paint the Cluster ...
last post on February 05, 2007 - by indico
Softimage Xsi: Something worth knowing when XSI crashes
Hi everyone, just thought I'd share this with you as I only found this out recently. When XSI crashes, you'll see the dialogue box that says "Failed to save sequence before system ...
last post on February 05, 2007 - by GreenCat
3ds Max: OpenGL problems
When i check the "OpenGL" option in the graphics settings, 3dsmax behaves strangely. I get lots of graphical errors and it feels slower than usual. I have a Gf3 with the newest ...
last post on February 02, 2007 - by broodling
3ds Max: help me to render
go here http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?s=andpostid=87039#post87039 ...
last post on February 02, 2007 - by dwp
3ds Max: Free Event Sneak preview new technology for max
Sneak Preview the new technology for 3ds max. Join us on June 24 to sneak preview the new technology for 3ds max from discreet. You will also witness Absolute Character Tools, from none other than ...
last post on February 02, 2007 - by Theamxyz
Softimage Xsi: clg
Where did you go to ...
last post on February 02, 2007 - by MadWolf
Softimage Xsi: importing layout into XSI 2.0 demo
Is it possible to import a layout into the demo? I've downloaded a few 1024*768 layouts, and I drag them over a viewport. The cursor changes, indicating that the link can be dropped. But nothing ...
last post on February 02, 2007 - by FireWall
Softimage Xsi: My XSI AD Campaign
Innovate. Create. COLAborate. My First Project with ...
last post on February 02, 2007 - by Rod Sigler
3ds Max: For those just starting
came across this link might be of use to those starting out, all basic stuff but ...
last post on February 01, 2007 - by Spade
3ds Max: star wars fanfilm
hey all, im planning on making a star wars movie, but, (big but) we wanna be able to fight (battle)droids. how can we achieve this? i have 3d max, animation master and ulead mediastudio pro, ...
last post on February 01, 2007 - by Etnic Evil
3ds Max: Problem with Xdof2.0
Hi Is here anyone, who used XDOF? I've got problem with XDOF effect it just don't work. The XDOF multipass works fine, but effect don't and depending if swich render effect after pass in turned ...
last post on February 01, 2007 - by Gloski
Softimage Xsi: is there....
Going through the experience CD, which in my opinion is pretty inadequate in covering anything useful, but anyways, what in XSI is the equivalent of spline patching in lightwave or surface tools in ...
last post on February 01, 2007 - by indico
Softimage Xsi: reference model issues
Hey guys I've run into a wee problem that is kinda screwing me over. I bring in an exported model as a reference model, then when I go to save the scene it hangs at %75 when saving as it's ...
last post on February 01, 2007 - by TzinMaoSui
Softimage Xsi: cgchannel visual overview of 3.0
I did the hair on the bear. ...
last post on February 01, 2007 - by Gloski
3ds Max: Shadow Casting on DustDevil plugin
Hello everybody ! It seems that DustDevil (Blur Studio free plugin) is the perfect plugin to make high density cloud with not much time rendering... I only have one problem : i don't understand ...
last post on January 31, 2007 - by Pusher
3ds Max: Smooth groups IDs problem while exporting in .obj f
Hi people, I have to export objects from Max 4.2 to .obj format. It seems that Max mess up smooth groups while exporting. I have tried to export a single box. In Max, smooth groups go from 2 ...
last post on January 31, 2007 - by QuaGo
Softimage Xsi: ForeArm Twist Problem
Hi All, I have a character which is wearing a t-shirt so his arms are naked. I split to 2 my forearm but it still remains. How can I stop twisting my ForeArm ? Is there any tutorial about this ...
last post on January 31, 2007 - by 3dRebel
Softimage Xsi: Shaders + particles bug
Hello all I've got a scene with particles with bubbles sprites on its, and the Toon_ink shader on the camera. When the particles is not visible (because the particles begin to simulate to another ...
last post on January 31, 2007 - by broodling
Softimage Xsi: Please help with hair on skull
I modeled a human character. I selected a buncha polygons on top of the skull, created hair from it, sculpted it, etc. Then I rigged the human model. When I move the head (turn it, nod, etc), the ...
last post on January 31, 2007 - by broodling