3d forums home Resources for 3d artists

3D Animation Talk

Discuss All aspects of 3D animation, Animation principles and methods, how to prepare a 3D model for animation, where to find character animation references and how to use particle animation for special effects. Talk about Animating shaders, lights and cameras.
3ds Max: Eyeball Tutorial
Anyone here know where I can find an eyeball tutorial that really explains how? Thanks. - ...
last post on April 10, 2007 - by Rod Sigler
3ds Max: Displaying Time in 3dsMax (or post)
I want to display time onscreen in Max, like a standard 24hour clock at 30fps so it'll show a timeframe of an animation, and represent that it is happening in realtime during a certain ...
last post on April 10, 2007 - by Shawn
3ds Max: discreet takes a road trip.
Got this one in an e-mail today. Seems the discreet crew is touring the US and Europe this fall to showcase their new products, including max 5 and plasma. Could be a nice place to network with ...
last post on April 10, 2007 - by Vertox
Softimage Xsi: xsi3... shape animation presets.
okay so im having just a little trouble with saving out shape animation as a DSpreset... in order to save/load shape clips from one scene to another without actually having the source model in the ...
last post on April 10, 2007 - by PiX
Softimage Xsi: OOs mixer ascii script works in 3.01 but not
from the XSI list: What do you guys do to save and reload the animation mixer setup in 3.5? This is a huge hole, or does it work for other people in 3.5? Please tell me if it does so I know ...
last post on April 10, 2007 - by UVlas
3ds Max: Qquestion for Euler rotation contrl....
Hi~dear guys.. :) i 'm a bit confused with the use of Euler rotation contrller....In R.3X and earlier ...i hav ever seen the Local Euler and World Euler controller,but the those 're ...
last post on April 06, 2007 - by Reid6754
3ds Max: London 3dsMax User group Meeting
Just to let people know there's a User Group meeting on Thursday 26th September, 2002. More information ...
last post on April 06, 2007 - by PiX
3ds Max: Animation\Car Movement
Greetings everybody. For quite a few weeks i am trying to learn how to make a driving car animation. Still cant get it. Do you have any ...
last post on April 06, 2007 - by Max3D
Softimage Xsi: Tutorials for Biped - Define step marks and d
Hi, just owndering if anyone knows of any tutorials about Define Step Marks and Deform ...
last post on April 06, 2007 - by ZaSCoK
Softimage Xsi: Rig bug ?
Has anyone else had a rigging problem regarding the creation of a biped rig from the shadow guide in XSI 3.01? Specifically, when the geometry is enveloped to the rig the right hand shrinks- the ...
last post on April 06, 2007 - by ZaSCoK
Softimage Xsi: smedge2
is smedge2 a good option for batch (netrender) an xsi scene file over several computers. i installed and got a 2 week demo, but i am having troubles getting to work. phil ...
last post on April 06, 2007 - by XsiBigot
3ds Max: Cebas 3d vision plug-in for max
I downloaded a free plugin by Cebas, called 3d vision...its a videopost plugin, which totally messed me up. I cannot figure out how to use this plugin, i tried going into video post and messin around ...
last post on April 05, 2007 - by drop007
3ds Max: [Please help] Display problems in Max4
Hi all The framerate in Max 4 decreases dramatically (by about 80%!!) when I make one of the objects semi-transparent. I messed with the display settings for transparencies; "stipple" ...
last post on April 05, 2007 - by cord474
3ds Max: Setting Modifiers
After I set a modifier, how do I get back to the default modifiers. I mean, where I can set the segments and height ...
last post on April 05, 2007 - by Theamxyz
Softimage Xsi: THE HUGO Project by DAG?
Have you heard of the HUGO project? It suppose be some in-house program that bridges XSI and LW sorta like The beaver Project. I saw in a magazine and hven't seen anything since. DAG = ...
last post on April 05, 2007 - by Rod Politoff
3ds Max: submitions
I am asking this of any maxer, my site raven-nation is in dire need of 3d models, tutorials and gallery submitions. You will be given a bios page on my site with your info as well as a banner. If ...
last post on April 04, 2007 - by srge
3ds Max: character animation training for max?
Hey Folks, As a side thing between projects I provide character animation training products for both Maya (Animator's Gym CD/DVD) and Lightwave (Just Animate - Walk Cycles). I also use Max in ...
last post on April 04, 2007 - by Collar
3ds Max: Max motion capture and Wacom Tablet...
Question: I'm quite familiar with max's motion capture utility and it's uses... however, I was wondering if anyone knew of a way of taking advantage of the "pen tilt" action on a wacom ...
last post on April 04, 2007 - by Kiffy20
Softimage Xsi: Syflex
http://www.syflex.biz/ thanks for ...
last post on April 04, 2007 - by Axan
Softimage Xsi: about stitching of cloth simulation
look at the pic when i finished stitching(by clothOp simulation property editor-stitching) the nurbs grid i found there is a crease between the two grids that Assembled by Create > Surf. Mesh ...
last post on April 04, 2007 - by Carl Cates
3ds Max: Max motion capture and Wacom tablet...
Question: I'm quite familiar with max's motion capture utility and it's uses... however, I was wondering if anyone knew of a way of taking advantage of the "pen tilt" action on a wacom ...
last post on April 03, 2007 - by Plumbum
3ds Max: MOM+physique
Did any of U had some problems with Physique and Morpho'O'Matic working together? I get some strange, unrecoverable errors when I use both of them on the same mesh. It works well for some time ...
last post on April 03, 2007 - by Robbie Zhang
3ds Max: matte shadow
I have sphere with a texture wich I use as background map. i want to apply the shadows that come from the trees on the background map but i can't do it with the matte shadow since it's not the ...
last post on April 03, 2007 - by TanusiaTC
Softimage Xsi: Installing problems
I have Redhat 7.3 and I cant seem to installl it. I get this error after installation and then the installation not complete message. I have installed db2-2.4.14-10.i386.rpm and its still not ...
last post on April 03, 2007 - by CC
Softimage Xsi: Moving enveloped JOint chains....
Hi all, I hope the following makes sense, as any help would be reaaally good... Im trying to move a joint branch which is part of a skelleton, enveloped to a mesh. Its a thumb root bone btw. ...
last post on April 03, 2007 - by FireWall
Softimage Xsi: hair tutorial
hey xsi guys does anyone know where i can find some good xsi hair tutorials for 2.5 i need to create some spikey, clumpy hair for a new ...
last post on April 03, 2007 - by ferroka
3ds Max: blinking starts
Does any know how can i make the stars blink like they do when we look at them (or at least when I look at them) do we need to blur them and then make from it a morph target? (i can't use morph ...
last post on April 02, 2007 - by 3dRebel
3ds Max: How to script velocity of pathconstrained camera
Hello reader, I was wondering if you could help me with the following. I'm not an experienced programmer, but I do know the essence of programming. Though I cannot seem to work something quite ...
last post on April 02, 2007 - by PiX
3ds Max: Problem With Scripting
:bounce: Hello reader, I was wondering if you could help me with the following. I'm not an experienced programmer, but I do know the essence of programming. Though I cannot seem to work ...
last post on April 02, 2007 - by Imho
Softimage Xsi: about foam parameter
i have adjust the value of foam% and foam min. speed, but there is nothing changed in the render region, who can tell me how to use it? thanks a ...
last post on April 02, 2007 - by Axan
Softimage Xsi: Moving Mixer Info to another model in the exp
Hi all, Havin prob, so I hope you can help I built a 'poly model', made a load of shape animation on it etc, and now I want to make a new 'poly model', but don't want to use the same MIXER, so I ...
last post on April 02, 2007 - by TzinMaoSui
3ds Max: smooth reflections
i'm talking more like white reflections ala aqua style (now I know that was made in 2d programs, but I want to do that style of reflections in 3dsmax). is there a plug-in or tutorial somewhere that ...
last post on March 30, 2007 - by Yarlagad
3ds Max: stitch or clothes reyes
hi i'm put it cloth to a 3d woman model but i'm not sure if i will use sititch or clothes reyes please let me know your opinion ...
last post on March 30, 2007 - by Reid6754
3ds Max: Instance -> Reference ?!?
OK ... I have a group of objects all instances to each other ... Is there a way to make them references of one object ...
last post on March 30, 2007 - by Theamxyz
Softimage Xsi: Realtime Shaders in EXP
Could someone clarifiy, are realtime shaders limited in the XSI EXP version? I've been trying to experiment with them, and I don't know if I'm doing something wrong, or if the EXP version is ...
last post on March 30, 2007 - by Pyata
Softimage Xsi: The Matrix Text Fx
THE MATRIX TEXT FX http://www. ...
last post on March 30, 2007 - by broodling
Softimage Xsi: anyone who have some tutorial about Diagnosti
i have read the pdf file but still dont know how to use it :( where i can find some tutorial about Diagnostic ...
last post on March 30, 2007 - by CGrat
3ds Max: Only One
Sorry for the duplication but due to the limited size of this site, I wrote my questions: Thanks. ----------------- 1) Lights > Absolute Map Bias 2) Cameras > FOV Direction flyout 3) ...
last post on March 29, 2007 - by Shawn Lancing
3ds Max: four legs animal animation
i need some tutorial about four legs animal animation with max.. thank ...
last post on March 29, 2007 - by Imho
Softimage Xsi: one question about a pic
look at the pic: i know how to make "only color" and "Bump" effect but i dont know what is "difusse mapping"(is it Displacement)? and what is "ccentricty ...
last post on March 29, 2007 - by Collar
Softimage Xsi: a quesion about Detection Threshold! help!
there days i learn about Toon shader i found Detection Threshold parameter. i have read the help about this parameter. and try to adjust this parameter value from 0 to 1 but i still dont ...
last post on March 29, 2007 - by cord474
Softimage Xsi: about motion blurs controls
look at the pic with the area of red line i want to ask under what kind of situation i need choose the first one, or the second one thanks ...
last post on March 29, 2007 - by cord474
3ds Max: Animation bug? -maxr5
Help. This bug(?) has been driving me crazy for a few days. I'm using the new "Set Key" feature in MAXr5. Animating poses is great, and everything is going fine until.... I turn off ...
last post on March 28, 2007 - by cord474
Softimage Xsi: help with threshold of render option
look at the pic why the threshold control the sample in RGBA ?? the r, g, b and a control what kind of thing in rendered image? and why not use a normal slider just like min level or max ...
last post on March 28, 2007 - by Shawn
Softimage Xsi: tweaking cloth effect with weight maps
hi there, I was wondering if it is possible to adjust the effect of a cloth simulation with a weight map, so i could just paint specific areas to be simulated.... I think I saw it in the old EXP ...
last post on March 28, 2007 - by Shawn
Softimage Xsi: EXP question
When I load a scene in .exp format and try to add a new light to the scene, the soft light node isn`t automatically linked to the light shader. 1. I made n spotlights, and all soft lights are ...
last post on March 28, 2007 - by MadWolf
3ds Max: Put your Max 5 work online in realtime.
Hi there, If you are looking for an easy way to put your work online, take a look at this free plugin. http://www.turntool.com/ Just install the program. ...
last post on March 27, 2007 - by Collar
3ds Max: Quick question about copying parts of animations fr
I was just wondering if there's an easy way to copy an animation segment over from one biped to another, but only copy over certain parts of the biped? For example, I have two BIP animation ...
last post on March 27, 2007 - by Viggo Hoskins
3ds Max: Character Studio Tips
Hi, I've finally finished my first(crappy) character, and was trying to animate him via CS. It seems to be ok, fitting the biped etc and he moves not too bad, alot of things bulge and bend out of ...
last post on March 27, 2007 - by Imho
Softimage Xsi: Matching cameras
Heya, I've been looking for a method to match camera lenses with the Softimage camera. All this while, I've been doing it by calculating the field of view which is tedious and inaccurate most ...
last post on March 27, 2007 - by XsiBigot
Softimage Xsi: need help!! with render map cluster
http://www.chinavfx.com/bbs/attachments/200305/21204149-untitled.JPG i follow the 3.0 book "Rendermapping cluster"on pdf format file "shade" page 231 but the rendermap ...
last post on March 27, 2007 - by DoggyJP
Softimage Xsi: after effects script now available
Hey there. My After-Effects-Export Script for XSI is now available. Details: http://www.mindthink.de/ohm/aftereffectsxsi regards, Helge Mathee PS: Feedback ...
last post on March 27, 2007 - by Vagon
3ds Max: Skin, Lips, Eyes....?!?!
i need realistic texture of lips and skin. i need texture of lips..... and eyes....like on the picture if you know how...tell me pls.... or give me link...on ...
last post on March 26, 2007 - by CGrat
3ds Max: Break tool in Unwrap UVW max 5
I'm trying to learn the new max 5 edit UVW interface. For some reason I can't see buttons for break and weld tools. They are in the menu and in the quad, but no buttons. Did they remove them on ...
last post on March 26, 2007 - by Murat
3ds Max: Dem Bones, Dem Bones, Dem WTF!!!?
Is there a way to adjust the default bone creation settings regarding alignment???? So far I have only been able to get bones to create repecting the orientation that the viewport would suggest(i.e ...
last post on March 26, 2007 - by Imho
Softimage Xsi: Elliptical filtering ... does it work?
Currently using XSI 3.01, and elliptical filtering seems to be bugged to the point where I can't even use it. It seems to work in simple scenes fairly well, but any scene wit ha realistic amount ...
last post on March 26, 2007 - by PiX
3ds Max: Improved RLA/RPF in After Effects
Just released - eFX Extract3D is a new After Effects plug-in that enhances the connection between 3DS Max and After Effects. The plug-in offers quick and easy access within After Effects to powerful ...
last post on March 23, 2007 - by Mefisto
3ds Max: Snap Shot with Afterburn
Hi, Im just playing around with particles and was wondering if using snapshot with Afterburn was a limitation or is there a special way to do ...
last post on March 23, 2007 - by Pyata
Softimage Xsi: who can tell me how to use animation-create-c
1 what is define step marks? 2 the velocity threshold high is better(the two red cube with a line is long) or low is better(two red cube with a line is ...
last post on March 23, 2007 - by Vertox
Softimage Xsi: who can tell me how to use force ik?
i select it and input some number in the preferred rotation angles, but there is nothing change in the view ...
last post on March 23, 2007 - by dfk
Softimage Xsi: about rotate 2d and 3d bones
the 3.0 book says: With 2D and 3D chains, you can rotate a bone in X. However, you cannot do this with a 2D chain that is solved in inverse kinematics (its effector is translated). The solving ...
last post on March 23, 2007 - by Kiffy20
Softimage Xsi: Scripting (Parenting)
Hi all I want to do what I would consider a simple task and XSI is driving me crazy. What I want to do is (in VB scripting I guess) parent one object to another. Now these objects belong to a ...
last post on March 22, 2007 - by AmberPrince
Softimage Xsi: Default Rig questions
Hey, I'm using the default rig in XSI 3, and have come across a few things I don't understand. 1. The arms when in FK mode do not follow the chest rotations. 2. The chest rotation ...
last post on March 22, 2007 - by Ted Town
Softimage Xsi: Losing Particles render tree
Hi, I am losing my particles Billboard everytime I tried to render the scene. Them I need to recreate the Particle Billbord on the render tree again, and again, and again..... What am I ...
last post on March 21, 2007 - by Montana
Softimage Xsi: How i put bump map on a tyre?
How? hehehe Could u help ...
last post on March 21, 2007 - by dwp
Softimage Xsi: mirroring wieghts
Please help! I am rigging and weighting my character. All has gone well till now. I just created my symmetry map and mirrored the weights for the body. this worked fine. but when i try to ...
last post on March 21, 2007 - by indico
3ds Max: head/chest bulging thing
Hi All, I get a head/chest bulging thing happening every once in a while when using physique. I'm not sure if it is the same problem but the things you suggested have not worked. What is ...
last post on March 20, 2007 - by CC
3ds Max: artifacts and explorer crashes
I seem to be having a weird problem of max giving me artifacts after awhile. I get these weird green bars after a little bit of use and they are annoying. The thing is it only happens in max i can ...
last post on March 20, 2007 - by Etnic Evil
Softimage Xsi: new dotXSI converter for maya
XSI has recently updated a new dotXSI4Maya convertor (march 21st); it fixes the problem of polygon importing/exporting, does anyone have the compiled version ...
last post on March 20, 2007 - by Charles Smith
Softimage Xsi: About Remove Deformers and set Eevelope Agian
i make a video about my quesition please visite www.zzzwz.com/rayguo/1.avi why the below bone can remove deformer ,but can't set envelope agian? and the above operate ...
last post on March 20, 2007 - by srge
Softimage Xsi: inbetween shape mixing a la Maya
Hi there once again; :) I have been going through shape animation in XSI and wanted to do an inbetween shape to shape set up in the mixer but got quite confused... I tried many things like mixed ...
last post on March 20, 2007 - by abax
3ds Max: MDL Plugin suite
Have anyone used this b4? Cos i need some help in understanding this ...
last post on March 19, 2007 - by Pusher
3ds Max: Biped and slider manipulator ?
Hi I'm using CS 3 right now. Is it possible to use biped with "slider manipulator" since i want to animate hand/foot easier. I've tried it before but i can't connect the slider with ...
last post on March 19, 2007 - by PiX
Softimage Xsi: referenced models in light association groups
when i add referenced objects within a light association groups the groups are not saved and i los emy lighting set up upon loading. what am i doign wrong and how can i fix ...
last post on March 19, 2007 - by Plumbum
Softimage Xsi: New User to XSI
Hello everyone, I am a new user to XSI. I just came over from another package when I realized how much more (features and capabilities) XSI had. I will try to come up to speed quickly with XSI, there ...
last post on March 19, 2007 - by FireWall
Softimage Xsi: problem transp/volume fof
Hi everybody!!! Ive a little problem with the transparency map and the fog in my xsi project I have a grid whit a transparency map ( a gradient for instance ) and it works very well, but if I ...
last post on March 19, 2007 - by euGeniu
3ds Max: Good Plastic Texture?
Hi all, I was trying to make a good high gloss white plastic texture, but am failing miserabley. I've used raytrace, to no avail, Any suggesestions, If anyone has some settings to share that would ...
last post on March 16, 2007 - by sperll
3ds Max: extrude poly along spline
Does anyone else use this as a start for modeling heads?? I always had probs modeling a subd head from a box, then I found the ol' extrude poly along spline :) I draw my heads profile with splines, ...
last post on March 16, 2007 - by Vagon
3ds Max: Character Studio-Fingers in Track View?
When using character Studio, is there any way to see the properties of all five (or whatever) individual fingers in trackview? If I select the "Arms" checkbox in the Animation properties ...
last post on March 16, 2007 - by dwp
Softimage Xsi: Texture Unwrapping in XSI?
Click Me =) (http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?s=andthreadid=48310) Thanks in ...
last post on March 16, 2007 - by dfk
Softimage Xsi: Export AVI from compositor
Is it possible to export a 25 frame per second AVi file from the XSI3 compositor? thanks ...
last post on March 16, 2007 - by ferroka
Softimage Xsi: Underwater scene
I try to make an underwater scene ( like this http://www.jellyfishpictures.co.uk/ ). I want create the reflects. I have created two plane texture fractal in reflection for the sea, volume effect for ...
last post on March 16, 2007 - by Ted Town
3ds Max: Pepeland.com updated with new spline IK rigs and an
Daniel Martinez Lara had updated his website with a couple of new animations and character rigs using Max 5's new spline IK. They're a blast to animate with. If your interested in 3dsmax ...
last post on March 14, 2007 - by Derek
3ds Max: UI Skins?
Anyone here know where I can get some 3ds max 4.2 UI skins? ...
last post on March 14, 2007 - by Nikollas
3ds Max: Please Assist!!
hello Im totally stuck and have only a few hours til my deadline. Im doing some uvw unwrapping and it is not doing what it is supposed to be doing. I have a few questions. I would VERY ...
last post on March 14, 2007 - by Katie Chiesa
Softimage Xsi: Animation Mixer and Walking and turning
I was wondering if I could ask you some questions about Softimage's Mixer. I am using Softimage XSI 3 and having a tuff time. Ok here goes. I want to do a walk animation of a character walking ...
last post on March 14, 2007 - by CGrat
Softimage Xsi: gradient change of toon ink with z depth
hello everyone, I am currently working on a toon shaded scene set out to sea. i would like to change the ink colour on the lens shader from black in the foreground fading to a lighter colour at ...
last post on March 14, 2007 - by Natashka1954
Softimage Xsi: Problems with Biped Guide Rig
So everytime I go to create a rig from a biped guide, it craps out with "Error: Argument 0 is invalid". I thought I might be "messing up" the guide, but creating a rig from an ...
last post on March 14, 2007 - by TanusiaTC
3ds Max: add bone to object problem
Well I did not know in what forum this problem would fit best so I made a link to the threath at the animation forum I hope you can help me ...
last post on March 13, 2007 - by Plumbum
Softimage Xsi: Key all in Synoptic View weirdness
Using XSI 3.0 Experience. I created a character rig using the preset available from the Modeling panel. Then I pose the character and open the Synoptic View and press Key All to set keys for all ...
last post on March 13, 2007 - by Pyata
3ds Max: Sliding Bones
Hi there, Just wondering if anyone knew if it was possible to make a bone setup that uses HI IK and has Sliding Bones. I have been working on theis Motor bike and I'm tring to come up with a ...
last post on March 12, 2007 - by Robbie Zhang
Softimage Xsi: problem with paint push tool
hi folks got a problem....... the paint push tool in xsi.........can i somehow animate my strokes.....like something in ...
last post on March 12, 2007 - by PiX
Softimage Xsi: Red Balloon shader
Greetings, I am going to be making a realistic red ballon rendered with HDR in XSI 3.0. I was wondering if anyone has attempted a "balloon" shader before, and if they have any ...
last post on March 12, 2007 - by PolyGru
Softimage Xsi: question, where can I find Manta animation?
thank you for telling me! I just wounder what it ...
last post on March 12, 2007 - by Plumbum
3ds Max: ahhhh MR running like garbage!
I have ben experimenting with MR lately, and managed to get a 5 machine render farm running it. the render farm working great with a simple scene but when I add a few complexities things go ...
last post on February 26, 2007 - by TanusiaTC
3ds Max: Weighing vertices by hand
When i add bones, i attach them using skin then sub-object to sort out the vertices on the mesh. Now im not very knowledgable with the terimology here, sorry :) Is Weighing vertices by hand ...
last post on February 26, 2007 - by Derek
3ds Max: UV Map Editor in
Does anybody know if there is a option for bleeding on and off in 3d max 4 or 5 like in XSI? I would love to see the same tool in max... and if there is one can someone point me to the tool or the ...
last post on February 26, 2007 - by Murat
Softimage Xsi: Soft body : initial force?
hi! I'm experimenting and learning how to use soft bodies. I am trying thing on a polymesh sphere. I want my sphere to bounce on things :bounce: , that's why I need an initial force. I have ...
last post on February 26, 2007 - by Carl Cates
Softimage Xsi: a new CopyOP
XSIs ease of use and workflow is simply excellent but I feel a little trapped sometimes. I and a few other XSI users have been running into a few issues with proceduralism and interface in XSI. One ...
last post on February 26, 2007 - by Shawn Lancing
Softimage Xsi: reducing polys
hi i've got a problem. i wanna render out something in wireframe. so i used the way with the lens toon ink shader. works well for most of thr parts, but some of them are high dense poly. so i ...
last post on February 26, 2007 - by MadWolf