3d forums home Resources for 3d artists

3D Animation Talk

Discuss All aspects of 3D animation, Animation principles and methods, how to prepare a 3D model for animation, where to find character animation references and how to use particle animation for special effects. Talk about Animating shaders, lights and cameras.
3ds max: biped question
Can someone here help me with some biped animation? :D just a simple question imho I can't seem to animate the height of the char.. i want the char to bend his legs, get his but closer to the floor ...
last post on July 11, 2006 - by FireWall
XSI 5: blend shapes question
Hi all, So suppose i create a base head, then create some expressions on that head by duplicating the head, and deforming the verts (happy, sad, excited...). So i setup the blend and things are ...
last post on July 11, 2006 - by Carlos Fillion
3ds max: rigging problem
I have problem.. i connected my arms to a bone at the neck But when i move the arms, the connector bone gets dislocated Whats up with ...
last post on June 23, 2006 - by Rod Sigler
maya: Rigging workflow
Hey guys If I rig my lowpoly version of my model I should be able to Bind that to the high poly mesh? Then just animate/rig the lowpoly ...
last post on June 09, 2006 - by Kiffy20
Maya rigging?
So I finished my first model.. now its at its lowest poly level How do I proceed with rigging? I was going to uvmap this or should I now go ahead and rig ...
last post on June 09, 2006 - by UVlas
blender: particle interaction
How do i get static particles to interact with deflection ...
last post on June 08, 2006 - by abax
3ds max: CS help needed
I need a little help with character studio. I have a motion of a karate but i made a new layer and with auto key rotate the bip bone to change the postion. The biped rotates very well but the move ...
last post on June 08, 2006 - by Max3D
maya: removing groupings?
How do I remove ...
last post on June 08, 2006 - by Murat
xsi5: move rotate scale?
Guys can someone please tell me How to move rotate scale in xsi I mean ...
last post on June 08, 2006 - by Theamxyz
Maya : Particles follow a path
Can i make particles follow a path without using surface ...
last post on June 07, 2006 - by Vagon
3ds max: Rigging a hose
I have a character with a tank on his back and a hose that leads from the tank to his hand, and he's going to be moving it around spraying things, how do i rig the hose to bend and move between the ...
last post on June 06, 2006 - by Reid6754
3ds max: Sparks burn over the surface
Where i could locate a tutorial for Pflow's object simulation with particles? Ultimately I want to have an object created as sparks burn over the ...
last post on June 05, 2006 - by Shawn Lancing
3ds max: modeling for animation
Guys, can I model an object and then later on animate it or is there a special case for modelling objects that are going to be ...
last post on June 04, 2006 - by Carl Cates
Maya: kite and string animation
Whats the best way to do a kite & ...
last post on June 04, 2006 - by Murat
3ds max: transfering animation from max8 to max7
Hi! Can anyone tell me how i can export an animation from max8, and allow some one useing max7 to load it up and view ...
last post on June 02, 2006 - by Max3D
3ds Max: Recreating a brush
Hey There! Anyone knows much about max's native hair/fur rendering? ( aka shave n' a haircut ) Was tryin to recreate a brush ( like a fat paintbrush with stiff bristles ) brushing on rubber cement ...
last post on June 01, 2006 - by Max3D
3ds Max: Transfer animation
Hey there! Anyone knows how i can duplicate frames of animation from a high poly character to its lower poly ...
last post on June 01, 2006 - by sperll
3ds Max: What is a dependency loop?
What is a dependency ...
last post on June 01, 2006 - by Frank Tinoco
3dsmax : cracks between the bricks
I'm making a house of lego bricks, and the cracks between the bricks are not visible. I tried to make it piece by piece.. but still the cracks are not visible.. any ...
last post on May 31, 2006 - by kinoman
3ds max: Reactor/physics question
I've got a reactor/physics question, i'm setting up a rope with a ball attached , and the other end of the rope is attached to a overhanging bar, I'm using the rope modifier i can constrain one end ...
last post on May 31, 2006 - by Frank Tinoco
3ds max: Animating smoke
Hi. Is anyone here decent with particle effects? I'm trying to make slow smoke-like motion effect consisting of tiny lights.. Any idea how to do this? Or a better description might be a slow ...
last post on May 31, 2006 - by sperll
3ds Max: Lip syncing without plugins?
How do you go about lipsyncing without ...
last post on May 30, 2006 - by sperll
3dsmax : going through a tube
What would be a good way to simulate something going through a tube where the object is bigger then the tube, so the tube extends a ...
last post on May 27, 2006 - by Andyba
MAYA : making an object dissapear
how do i make an object dissapear after a certain frame do I just translate it off the area in a next frame? or is there a cleaner way of doing it know what I mean? ...
3dsmax : Smooth camera motion
I can never get a god damned smooth camera motion with splines always twitching at the vertices. Any ideas ...
3dsmax : attaching an object to the hand
scenario: I have a walking guy, animated. now I have an object - editable mesh, that I want him to have in one of his hands how do I do this? I don't want to make the object part of the same mesh ...
last post on May 25, 2006 - by Gloski
3dsmax : looping in mixer
Anyone know how you would make the Mixer (with the biped) loop your .bip files and not start over from zero ...
last post on May 25, 2006 - by Vertox
3dsmax : Cloth?
Patchgrids the way to go for cloth ...
last post on May 25, 2006 - by dfk
3dsmax : particles on each vertex?
How can i make particles in all vertex to any object? with object position it put particles randomly with particle flow how can i make each vertex has 1 ...
last post on May 25, 2006 - by Vagon
3ds max: visibility and particle flow
I added a visibility key to an event of particle flow, why isn't it in the ...
last post on May 25, 2006 - by Theamxyz
3dsmax : Cleaning the translation channel
Is there a way to free translation channel so its zero. I'm trying to export from 3dsmax(3ds format) to maya. When I import everything is set to ...
last post on May 25, 2006 - by Ted Town
3ds Max : Hair collision
How if only i could figure out this dynamics issue with hair/fur plugin, its collision detection on the collision object is detecting the collision a good distance away from the actual contact ...
last post on May 25, 2006 - by sperll
MAYA: Linking parameters over time
If i want to script pSphere1 so it at frame 21 has the translation values of pCube1 at frame 2... how could that look? i want to automate the animation of several objects and all should be ...
last post on May 25, 2006 - by Ted Town
MAYA : setting weights in the attribute spreadsheet
okay why can't I set weights in the attribute spreadsheet this is pissing me off to no ...
last post on May 23, 2006 - by Vertox
XSI 5: Spline IK?
Please help, I need to animate a ponytale... And I can't find anything similar to 3ds MAX splineIK in ...
last post on May 11, 2006 - by Fiery
XSI 5: Object collision
How do I make dynamic simulations with hard objects collide with each other? Thank ...
last post on May 01, 2006 - by Fiery
XSI 5 - Character animation: add new bones to envelope.
OK, so I have rigged and skinned my character. Already adjusted all the envelope weights and such. Spent 2 days only to understand that I need one more bone to drive the envelope. So how can I add a ...
last post on April 26, 2006 - by Andyba
XSI 5: How do I reverse the animation for my entire scene?
How do I reverse the animation for my entire scene in XSI? Thank ...
last post on April 26, 2006 - by Fiery
XSI 5: How to copy a key for multiple curves at once?
Hey there! I'm trying to copy the same position of my arm from one frame to another. But when I select more then one curve in the Fcurve editor the copy/paste option disappears! Why does it ...
last post on April 26, 2006 - by Fiery
Motion Builder animation resources
This topic is strictly for Motion Builder animation resources. Any links to tutorials and tips on animating in Motion Builder are welcome ...
last post on February 15, 2006 - by Andyba
Maya animation resources
This topic is strictly for Maya animation resources. Any links to tutorials and tips on animating in Maya are welcome ...
Cinema 4D animation resources
This topic is strictly for Cinema 4D animation resources. Any links to tutorials and tips on animating in Cinema 4D are welcome ...
3ds Max animation resources
This topic is strictly for 3ds Max animation resources. Any links to tutorials and tips on animating in 3ds Max are welcome ...
Softimage XSI animation resources
This topic is strictly for Softimage XSI animation resources. Any links to tutorials and tips on animating in xsi are welcome ...
General Principles - How to simulate muscles under skin?
How to simulate muscles under skin? Is it possible to do it in standard software like Max and Maya? Or do I need a special muscle system plugin to do this? Thank ...
Facial morph targets
Are there any general rules one should follow when creating morph targets for facial animation? Thank ...
last post on October 02, 2005 - by Andyba