3d forums home Resources for 3d artists

3D Rendering

All about rendering. That is shaders, lights, cameras, effects, radiosity etc.
3D rendering of only visible faces
Hi, I am actually doing Computer Vision research and have no experience in 3D rendering. I have a 3D model and I know that the camera is looking at the model from a particular direction, now I ...
last post on June 12, 2009 - by Andyba
Softimage Xsi: normal maps + bump maps
I am using d3 normal map shader. Is there a way to use a traditional bump map in conjunction with the normal ...
last post on June 03, 2009 - by Andyba
Maya: mental ray vs mayaSoftware
What is better mr or ...
last post on March 26, 2009 - by Andyba
MAYA: Colours not showing during render
Hi folks, I'm quite new with Maya, and my problem is this. When I color objects in Maya, they don't seem to show when I render them afterwards. All I really get is the same shade of grey ...
last post on March 20, 2009 - by Andyba
MentalRay where to start?
I hope I picked the right forum?! I new to mentalray-rendering and all ready tried a few shaders and lighting setups. But as it comes to the point of adding more stuff to a scene, I get pretty ...
last post on February 13, 2009 - by Andyba
Softimage Xsi: Displacement and UVMap Seams
hello all, i have unwrapped an object and textured it now for the displacement map...which looks very nice on a flat grid but as soon as there are seams it floats in mid air in the render view ...
last post on December 26, 2008 - by Andyba
Softimage Xsi: environmet
Is some way to see environment map/texture in view? Not only by render? I cant find it in ...
last post on December 26, 2008 - by Andyba
Can you 3d Render in PHP or something like that?
Hi all, Well There is this website http://ryzwear.com/ People upload their artwork and it puts it on a shoe so it wraps around it. I don't know of any way do such an image manipulation ...
last post on July 21, 2008 - by Andyba
3ds Max: Light tracer problems
Is anyone having this problem in Max 5 with Ray tracer practicly exploding your bump maps? Its killing me..Ive tried turning on super sampling and still nothing..Any Help would be much appreciated. ...
last post on June 01, 2007 - by Andyba
Softimage Xsi: Help:Render Maps with Final Gathering
Hello All, Would anyone here know how to enable Final Gathering to be used with the Rendermap option .... I know how to set up FG and have it set to way I need it too and would like to bake it ...
last post on June 01, 2007 - by Andyba
Softimage Xsi: Particles: how does it all connect ?
Hello, Id like to have blobby, reflective particles. Or fluids with an animateable particle size. Or attack a nive shader to any blob I want... Whenever I try and connect fluid-shaders to ...
last post on May 30, 2007 - by Sid Conner
3ds Max: Light Include/Exclude Tool
I am currently trying to exlclude geometry from a skylight using the light include/exlude tool. I select the objects and do what the help files says but when it generates the script i get an unknown ...
last post on May 29, 2007 - by Alicci
Softimage Xsi: hdri problem
hello I 've got a HDRI file converted to *.Map that work fine. In FX tree I made change on it ( color correct) to made a night version but!!! When I save the file in *.map and r-use it, XSI ...
last post on May 25, 2007 - by ramesh_7199
Softimage Xsi: Get->Spot creates Point light (?)
I'm using the XSI EXP version. I'm going through the 3dtutorial series on materials and lighting. I'm trying to add a spot light that will be used for GI lighting. When I use ...
last post on May 04, 2007 - by Max3D
Softimage Xsi: Volume-Light frenzy
Hello, I currently use volumetric light to make an arrangement of blinking lights. The volumetric light of my spot was adjusted to be as big as the light bulb, and it all looked pretty nice in ...
last post on May 03, 2007 - by Max3D
3ds Max: kino flow lighting
hey dudes, i was just wondering if any body has tried to do any lighting with kino flow based emulation...if so what are the values i'd have to plug into my web distribution ...
last post on May 02, 2007 - by Ted Town
Softimage Xsi: Image output resolution in XSI EXP
I have just installed the XSI 3.0 EXP yesterday and, though it seems to work all right, I have run into an annoying problem. This app is supposed to let you save renders up to 510 x 510 px, but I'm ...
last post on April 17, 2007 - by Frank Tinoco
Softimage Xsi: great mental ray links!?!
hey guys im an Avid softimage fan, pun intended, and the one thing i think ive always loved most about XSI is mental ray. i found what i thought would be some awsome links on their site, one ...
last post on April 12, 2007 - by Max3D
3ds Max: network rendering [gamma problems]
hey i'ce rendered a anim over several machine, and some of them seem to have slightly different gamma levels, so when i play back my seq there is a flickering effect on the frames i've tried ...
last post on April 11, 2007 - by Kiffy20
Softimage Xsi: normals
I have new problems. I texture my old models and i have some problems. 1. I have problems with normals - some normasl are inverted, but i can select polygon and then invert (because i have cca ...
last post on April 11, 2007 - by Gina
Softimage Xsi: Elliptical filtering
When I turn on the elliptical filtering my texture get tiled. My texture projection is smaller then my model I've attached a simplified exemple of my problem. Does somehone know is there is a ...
last post on January 22, 2007 - by CC
Softimage Xsi: Sky shader in XSI
Does anyone knows how to make Soft 3D shader (Legacy Shaders) in XSI? I followed the tutorial on Ed harriss web site but failed to works. Can somebody help ...
last post on January 22, 2007 - by Shawn Lancing
3ds Max: DOF in Brazil RS?
Hi again! :D I need a little help.... Can you tell me how to make the camera Deep Of Field effect with Brazil RS in Global Illumination? Can I use the standard DOF of MAX? :rolleyes: ...
last post on January 15, 2007 - by drop007
Softimage XSi: Edit multiple passes.
Is it possible to edit multiple passes at once in xsi? Thank ...
last post on January 06, 2007 - by Andyba
3ds Max: Problem with network rendering
I have a problem with network rendering. we are using max 4.26 and mental ray. Some textures are not rendering correctly. Could anyone help ...
last post on December 26, 2006 - by drop007
3ds Max: network render problem
Added another box to my render farm but when I launch manager it says 'cannot start manager network subsystem error'. Box is a dual pentium. never seen this problem before, any ...
last post on December 22, 2006 - by Spade
xsi5 : composing an object realistically to a photo
Hey there, i need to know how to compose a character onto an image with the shadow interacting to give the impression that the character is in there... can anyone tell me how or to do it.. any ...
last post on December 21, 2006 - by Andyba
xsi5 : my cmputer turn off when I use mental ray!
Hi guys, I got a big problem! every time I start a rendering (both in render region and in a render window), if this take longer than a couple of seconds, my computer turn off without any ...
xsi5 : How to set OpenGL to render high-resolution?
Does anyone know how to set up your XSI so it can render OpenGL (not mental ray) in high resolution (e.g. 1920x1080 and up) My experience is that anything higher than your screen resolution will ...
xsi5 : smoke particle effect with XSI
hello everyone, I m trying to make a cigarete smoke particle effect with XSI any suggestion ...
xsi5 : HDR +SSS problem
im lighting a scene with a hdr map. works fine for all the materials except for the SSS fast skin one im using, in which case its turning up totally black. i put a new version of the SSS onto it and ...
Softimage Xsi: applying environment shader to a render pass
Hey I'm try to create an environment by apply shader to the default pass, here is what i did: in the render tree node-->environment-->more and i choose legacy day,and connect it to ...
Softimage Xsi: environment shader?
Is it possible to use the environment shader with final gathering? When I try it everything turns to the color of the environment shader. Should I turn down the intensity of my light or do I ...
3ds Max: Reusable lighting rig - script maybe?
Hey there! Is there a script out there that creates a lighting rig for nice outdoor scenes? Or may existing lighting rigs with a hot light for the sun that I would be able to download for 3ds ...
Softimage Xsi: Rendering Services???
Is there anyone out there offering pay by hour/minute type rendering solutions for XSI or Si3D? We are looking for more rendering solutions and I would like to know all the pros/cons to using ...
Softimage Xsi: FG question
I get a sphere as the light source , Just wondering if the U, V subdiv of the sphere will affect the result of ...
Softimage Xsi: Renderings are awful
Ok, I'm texturing a model for my demo reel and having an amazingly hard time with finishing it off. I was all psyched to figure out multiple vertex rgba nodes and have used those with explicit uvw ...
Softimage Xsi: G.Apprx. steps and rendering
Hi I am texturing a plant with translucent leaves. The effect works perfectly when the geometry approximation is set to the first level, but on 2 or 3, the translucence just doesn't show ...
Softimage Xsi: Sub Ds rendering Level
Heya Guys! Just wondering if there's a setting to alow you to render Sub Ds meshes at a high subdivision level while you can still have it displayed at a low subdiv level in your viewport. I ...
Softimage Xsi: final gathering and particles
When I render out a scene with particles (smoke from sphere) It screws up the lighting for the scene how can I fix ...
3ds Max: raytracing
;) well, must be an insider CD-joke.. I have no idea about the what "raytracing" means. but, sorry I won't wanna disturb your 3d guys. never ...
Softimage Xsi: Renderfarm
Does anyone know were i can find good information on how to built a renderfarm? And maybe how to set the licenses (for Softimage ...
last post on December 19, 2006 - by TzinMaoSui
Softimage Xsi: problem with 2d fur shader
Hi, I've tried to use the 2d fur shader but I get always this error 'INFO : "PHEN 0.1 warn : Could not invert matrix " and on the top of objects, everything is ok but on the bottom ...
last post on December 18, 2006 - by Gloski
XSI 5: G.I. with Hair...ouch!
Hi everyone, is there any ways to decrease render time when working with Hair mixed with Global Illumination. I'm already comfortable with G.I. optimization, but Hairs don't seem to be reasonably ...
last post on December 02, 2006 - by Carlos Fillion
Building render server- what kind of graphic card needed
We're building a rendering server to take care of scenes and models from both Max and Maya on the server. Dual amd opt2.4 dual-core in a sm h8da8-2 mb , 4 sata 10k 150g hd w/ raid 1, 16g ram, XP64 ...
last post on November 28, 2006 - by Andyba
xsi5 : Environment map and fog
Is there any way to have fog effect without the environment map getting affected by the fog? I am trying to get the object to dissolve to the custom bkgnd. I tried volume effects, volume_fog, ...
last post on November 01, 2006 - by Andyba
XSI 5 : Toon shader reflection blur
I am trying to put a blur on a reflection of a toon-shader. Anyone have any ideas on how to do ...
last post on September 16, 2006 - by sperll
xsi5 : motion blur on sprites?
Hi, I searched the forum, but found nothing about motion blur on sprites.Is it possible? My settings are : shutter open 0 shutter close ,5 Evaluate Motion SRT at shutter speed It looks ...
last post on September 15, 2006 - by Dazdranagon
xsi5 : Viewport .fx shaders
Is here someone experienced with XSI's viewport realtime shaders? I'd like to assign custom .fx shaders with DX Fx node, but I can't find any information in help what type of shaders are supported, ...
last post on September 12, 2006 - by Reid6754
3ds Max 8: Can't asign the Material
Alright. So I have a Material, with 11 sub Materials. Everytime I go to assign Material 4, it assigns material ...
last post on September 10, 2006 - by Rod Politoff
3ds max: Layer properties
Good morning everyone Have someone got any idea why the layer properties doesn't change anything ? Just the hide and the freeze works from the layer properties ...
last post on September 01, 2006 - by Andyba
xsi5: How to mix normal maps with simple bump maps in xsi?
Hello! How to mix normal maps with simple bump maps in xsi? For example I have a normal map with wrinkles and I want to mix it with a simple skin map to show the pores. How can I do it? Thank ...
last post on September 01, 2006 - by Andyba
Maya : Environment for chrome
What's a good image map, to map onto a sphere (as a cheap environment) so that chrome can reflect something? The one I made makes the reflections look ...
last post on July 25, 2006 - by Vrugore
3ds max : Site with materials?
Does anyone know of a good site to get 3DS MAX materials I am looking to make a good tire material and a good alloy ...
last post on July 17, 2006 - by Andyba
3ds max: file formats with embedded alpha channel?
What image format, other than targa, allows for embedded ...
last post on July 12, 2006 - by Kris
3ds max: Finalrender prepass function question?
Does the prepass function in finalrender actually make a difference in the final rendering, or is it just for previz ...
last post on July 11, 2006 - by Theamxyz
3ds max: renderable in reflections only
Is it possible, to set an object as renderable through reflection, but not through the view of the ...
last post on June 08, 2006 - by Shawn Lancing
Doctor Queue render manager
Hi Has anyone tried dr. queue render ...
last post on June 08, 2006 - by TanusiaTC
3dsmax: Photometric lights problem
Hello Is it normal to have multiplier in photometric lights set to 50000/100000% in order to have decent light power ? Am i doing something wrong ...
last post on June 08, 2006 - by Shawn Lancing
xsi5: applying texture to clusters in renderpass
Uff.. I have new renderpass, and i want to apply another texture to two different clusters in new renderpass. Is that possible please? Once I apply new material/texture in new renderpass, it gets ...
last post on June 08, 2006 - by Reid6754
3ds max: lense FX vs afterburn
Hmmm i wonder is lense fx glow or afterburn glow better... I've never compared em ...
last post on June 08, 2006 - by cord474
xsi: windows rendering for compose
I have a building and small windows.. I want to compose the windows with diffuse glow with the colorful building layer.. please what Operator to use, to lay windows on the colorful building ...
last post on June 07, 2006 - by Sid Conner
xsi: camera and light settings
Good evening.. I have game sprites to render - so I have several dozens of complicated sprites, and want to ensure the same camera and light settings.. However, the objects have various render ...
last post on June 07, 2006 - by drop007
3dsmax: Linking material to a variable
Hey guys, got a simple maxscript question. I make a copy of a material on an object, stor in a variable, but when i change the material on the first object, the material on the variable is also ...
last post on June 06, 2006 - by Shawn
3ds max: occlusion pass
Got any idea on how to make an occlusion pass in max? Like to get it comp on AE? Wasn't there a dirtmap material in max? Cuz this ambient occlusion thing still takes ...
last post on June 04, 2006 - by Theamxyz
Maya: motion vectors
What is a motion vectors pass ...
last post on June 04, 2006 - by Vertox
Maya: strange bug?
I've connected a texture to Overall Color in misss_fast_skin_maya shader, but when I reload the texture the previous one is the one that gets rendered? my guess is something on the ...
last post on June 04, 2006 - by PolyGru
MAYA: Mental Ray artifacts on baked maps
MR is giving me weird blurry blotches on the baked maps./.. but only on displaced maps And including the AO in the shader makes the rendertime take longer than separate AO and render combined Like ...
last post on June 04, 2006 - by indico
Maya: Photorealistic eye
How do I create a photorealistic eye? Like this one http://www.turbosquid.com/FullPreview/Index.cfm/ID/255161 Thank ...
last post on June 02, 2006 - by Gloski
3ds Max: Displace question
Hi I'm using maya but it might be a universal problem I don't know.. http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/9213/chkr3ck.jpg Trying to understand dispplacement maps. Using two checker textures here, ...
last post on May 31, 2006 - by Skubbyl
3ds Max: Baking lights?
Is there anyway to take all the lights in a scene and ...
last post on May 31, 2006 - by Murat
3ds Max: Rendering video with alpha?
Hello! I've been through the help files and done a lot of searching on the net. I wish to render a video from 3DS MAX with an alpha channel so that I can use the video in premiere. Does anyone know ...
last post on May 31, 2006 - by cord474
3ds max: desktop lamp
I've got a desktop lamp, but i'm not really sure how to embed a light source in the bulb. Any suggestions? light needs to exclude the ...
last post on May 27, 2006 - by Andyba
3dsmax : lego like material?
what would be recommended settings for a lego like material ? and how can i add a bit of wireframe to it all plastic like materials either seem way to shiney or way to ...
last post on May 25, 2006 - by TanusiaTC
3DS MAX: Rendering shadows only?
is it posible in max to make an object invisible but leaving it's shadows still visible? -would be ok if this only occurs in the ...
last post on May 25, 2006 - by Skubbyl
3ds Max 8: SSS too grainy?
Did any of you guys test out the mental ray sss fast skin shader? im having some issues with the reflection. its just too grainy...and i can't see anywhere to tweak it.. i can increase the ...
last post on May 25, 2006 - by srge
MAYA: rendering problem please help.
anyone gimme a BIG help MEM 0.3 info allocation of 96032120 bytes failed flushing MEM 0.3 info try '-memory 622' for future runs RC 0.2 progr computing camera volumes MEM 0.1 progr ...
last post on May 23, 2006 - by Rod Politoff
xsi 5: Selective shadow casting
How do I specify which objects and from which light should cast shadows? For example I have 2 lights and 2 objects that cast shadows, I need one of them to cast shadows from on light and another ...
last post on May 11, 2006 - by Andyba
xsi 5: How to use a hdri image to light the scene in xsi?
How to use a hdri image to light the scene in ...
last post on May 01, 2006 - by Andyba
xsi 5: shadows only material.
I need a material that will render only shadows casted on the object. Any ideas on how to do it? Thanks in ...
last post on May 01, 2006 - by Andyba
xsi 5: How to render a set of passes at once in xsi?
I have prepared 4 render passes and there is also the default pass, that I didn't delete. How can I render all my passes without rendering the default one? Thank ...
last post on April 28, 2006 - by Fiery
Hardware Rendering Problems
Everytime i hopen maya the output widow pups up and say "Shadow mapping extensions insufficient to support hardware rendering." Does anybody know what does it mean? And how to solve this ...
last post on February 25, 2006 - by Andyba
Cinema 4D rendering resources
This topic is strictly for Cinema 4D rendering resources. Any links to tutorials and tips on rendering in Cinema 4D are welcome here. ...
last post on February 17, 2006 - by Andyba
Softimage XSI rendering resources
This topic is strictly for Softimage XSI rendering resources. Any links to tutorials and tips on rendering in Softimage Xsi are welcome here. ...
3ds max rendering resources
This topic is strictly for 3ds max rendering resources. Any links to tutorials and tips on rendering in 3ds max are welcome here. ...
Maya rendering resources
This topic is strictly for Maya rendering resources. Any links to tutorials and tips on rendering in Maya are welcome ...