3d forums home Resources for 3d artists

3dsmax : noob question

Posted: May 25, 2006
Pyata
Hi guys. Sorry if this is a noob question but ive gone through everything that was installed with 3dsmax but I cant figure it out.
How do you pan around the view plots and rotate your model?
PolyGru
hahahaha
you've gone through everything that was installed with max, and you don't know how to rotate your model
dude, nice try
F1
and come back in 5 hours
I only asked a legitamate question
no need to be an ass about it
PolyGru
no, actually there is a need to be an ass about it
why? because I asked?
Isn't that what this is for?
PolyGru
it doesnt get more elemental than that, and if you expect someone to hold your hand throughout the learning process starting from there, you need to start digging hard in your pockets for some cash
this isn't a help forum, its a discussion forum for professionals.
we don't discuss rotating models
and furthermore, you haven't gone through squat
meaning you lied
and why should we approve of that
thats why theres some need to be an ass about it
Words fail me. Im only trying to learn how to use this dude, no need to be a stuck up fucker cus you think you know more then me
PolyGru
i know, i know more than you do
i also know that you arent getting anywhere with that attitude towards learning
RTFM
viewport rotate alt_middlemousebutton
a simple answer like that is not worth fighting over
Pyata
thankyou
Kiffy20
Don't sweat it. everyone is gonna get RTFM answer sometimes =)
Pyata
now that wasnt hard.
Posted: May 26, 2006
PolyGru
just as hard as reading up on how to rotate the viewport :P
and i don't expect everyone to know everything
i expect people to recognize that other peoples time is valuable, and that its generally a good idea to google/rtfm before asking dumb questions
see i could have told you how too do it, but i genuinly feel that you would benefit more from getting used to a better way of learning stuff
that took me 2 seconds
Posted: March 13, 2010
I figured by myself, though I already had expierence in other 3d editors, like UnrealEd and Valve Hammer Editor.
Posted: March 27, 2010
makecg
people that are very new may have a hard time learning simple things although I thought there was a tutorial for that sort of thing when you first start 3dsmax
Posted: March 31, 2010
Liamkel
Polygru think you spend to much time wanking over your knowledge of 3D mate, you get offended that someone asked a question? You got annoyed cause it was wasting your time? But you opened the link read it, managed to think of about 5 shitty different excuses for moaning about how it is wasting your time. the things titled 'Noob question' heres an idea... dont fukin open it! Get a grip you fool n try spending less time by yourself with your electronic best friend and go out and talk to people you might find that sometimes people ask questions that may seem stupid to you but then again not everyone fucks 3D models.
Oh and why I'm at it your a prick for making me read all this and waste my time in replying................ next time you reply like an ass google 'How to be a prick' first think you may tick a few boxes.

and call my going over the top here but people like you just piss me off, you say he's wasting your time he shouldn't ask stupid questions that can be googled..... okay well funny how simply from clicking on your name your older posts came up and one of them starts with

'I'm new to XSI so this may be a simple question... '

SHIT THE BED!!! try goggling it you prick instead of wasting peoples times, cant you see people on here haven't got time for stupid questions like that, it aint a help forum for fuks sake surely you should know that!! Saying that the majority of your posts are ASKING FOR HELP!
And did anyone reply to your simply noob question???? NO!!! probably cause no one wanted to waste their time but did anyone piss and moan like a dick for no reason NO! funny that.....
Posted: April 06, 2010
PixelOz
I understand what PolyGru says but I think that he was kinda rude. He could have said exactly the same things that he said to the new guy but in a nicer way.

I think that that is a crude attitude to somebody that is new. You never know if that person that is new is really a potentially talented artist whose work you could be admiring in the future.

If it was his opinion that Pyata should ask for help in other forums he could have said it more politely.
Posted: May 04, 2010
sallanms
unfortunately, I see both sides to this. I remember how it was when I first started out asking for help to learn new interfaces. luckily, my boss showed me a few tricks and said have at it, i'll be back in 4 hrs

I learned much and he taught me something new each day.

As of late, I get asked to help teach Students, even some grad students. It can be over bearing and if there is nothing in return, you can get flustered. but Polygru should never of posted if he didn't want to help.
Posted: May 31, 2010
f-fortyone
Im not a guru but what i advice you that if you have inquiries of certain thing on 3d just google it man. or just go through some basic tutorial on youtube. i bet you will find the answers there. better read more before asking man. Its a simple advice man!! keep it up!!! i know you'll find your answers by your own way!!!
Posted: June 08, 2010
Jekylls
i have checked it’s really great
Posted: July 28, 2010
sancheuz
Yes and there is also 3ds max's own help file and tutorial files.
Posted: August 12, 2010
vinni117
Use help and try to learn the hotkeys. It will help you to be more professional in the future
Posted: August 31, 2010
bryan
Peace everybody Smile We can settle things in a nice way, even though that was a bad question that can easily be searched in Google or answered through simple research, we can always tell him in a nicer way Smile No offense guys, just trying to be nice to all and maintain peace in this forum. Have a nice time Smile
That was a bit harsh. Using your expertise to help is one thing but just trashing new users is just kind of warped. Everyone has to start somewhere and I am self taught in a bunch of programs and learn new things everyday. For those who don't have the luxury of a education in 3D design finding info is sometimes hard and frustrating, even for simple stuff, but to thrash a guy that just needed a simple answer is uncool.
Posted: September 27, 2010
baalnazzar
Yes, it could look strange when someone can't find something that seems obvious and easy. But there was time that for us nothing was so obvious too. i remember when I've been loosing much time on searching and if I'm able to shorten this time for someone I'm glad to do it.
You can trash someone or tell the same thing in more constructive way without making someone to feel like shit and giving up with art because of this.