3d forums home Resources for 3d artists

What is the best software for making Stereo 3D images?

Posted: March 18, 2011
HoBoE
I've been doing 2D digital graphics for ages, but I've resisted getting into 3D stuff, even though I love the work I see from others, because I found the learning curve a bit too intimidating. But recently, however, a friend has convinced me to give it a try.

Now, I've been using my iPad as a 'digital portfolio' since I first got it, and something I recently purchased is another reason I've decided to try my hand at 3D. I bought this screen overlay thing called a GRilli3D, and it allows you to see Stereo 3D images without wearing any kind of glasses (it's actually pretty impressive), and I'd like to try creating some '3D' 3D art that I could load on the tablet. As a result, I've been posting on a number of forums to see if anyone more experienced than I, could offer some advice (without much success, I'm afraid).

I understand, that in order to accomplish this, I'll need to use two cameras, and I'll have to be able to set how far apart they sit and at what point their viewing angles converge. I'll need to render each camera's image separately, and then interlace them in Photoshop (although, if that stage could be handled within a 3D package, I assume that would be easier).

So, with that in mind, does anyone have any advice as to what 3D program might be my best bet? Can they all do a two camera setup? Are any of them better suited to realize this kind of 3D image? I know that they're all expensive, and I don't want waste my $$$ on a program that's going to make this more difficult than it has to be.

If anyone has any thoughts or opinions on the matter, I'd be happy to hear them.

Thanks,
David
Posted: April 20, 2011
S3dr1ck
Hi,

I'm a hobby coder and when I read your post I remember that I saw some example source code within the open computer vision libraries that does 3D stereo calibration.

I would be interested to write a small tool that does this job as a just for fun projects and provide it to you for testing because I just started playing with opencv and this would be a nice project I think (if it doesn't turn out to be too time intensive).

But I'm not really sure how this Grilli3D thing works. Is this side-by-side 3D?

Can you be a little more precise on how this works and how the 3D Image is created and how it's displayed by the ipad?