3d forums home Resources for 3d artists

The Asian Stereotype?

Posted: February 12, 2011
Kamagoi
So I'm Korean and many people think that japanese people and other asians are like, the best at 3DCG. People get misleaded into thinking that the japanese are born to have artistic talent.

Someone messaged me on another 3D forum saying "of course he's good with anim8or, he's asian!" I wasn't offended but it still bothered me a little, besides, I still have flaws in my 3D modeling work so I'm not THAT good. Just had to get it off my chest.
Posted: July 27, 2011
behemoth0413
don't worry about it mate
korea,china and taiwan aslo have nice animators
Posted: September 21, 2011
AcademyClassMates
Maybe this thinking was formed because popular anime and cartoon series originated in Japan.
Posted: September 21, 2011
baalnazzar
AcademyClassMates - probabely you're right
Posted: October 20, 2011
Adam Maimon
Asians are commonly stereotyped because there's so many of them. It's only the few out of several billion that stand out.
Posted: October 26, 2011
AlexSmitt3d
Kamagoi wrote:
So I'm Korean and many people think that japanese people and other asians are like, the best at 3DCG. People get misleaded into thinking that the japanese are born to have artistic talent.

Someone messaged me on another 3D forum saying "of course he's good with anim8or, he's asian!" I wasn't offended but it still bothered me a little, besides, I still have flaws in my 3D modeling work so I'm not THAT good. Just had to get it off my chest.

At the level of personal interaction in any case, you should pay more attention to the man himself, and not be guided by stereotypes.
Posted: December 11, 2011
Jjabs12
If I were you, I'd almost take it as a compliment. Saying you're good at what you're doing isn't a bad thing!
Posted: January 02, 2012
Bionicle Next Generation
I know I wouldn't take it as a compliment. I mean, I wouldn't be offended, but I wouldn't take it as a compliment, because it's not true.
Posted: January 17, 2012
3d artist gallery Andyba
Jjabs12 wrote:
If I were you, I'd almost take it as a compliment. Saying you're good at what you're doing isn't a bad thing!

Actually it's not a compliment it's saying that you are not good because you worked hard but merely because you are of some nationality. Which is really diminishing the merit of the person.
Posted: January 21, 2012
stollo770
Dont let racial stereotypes get to you man
Posted: July 04, 2012
RocketLaserProductions
I'd ignore it to be honest, as each to his own, we are all learning in this business and we all work hard to get to where we are, I bet you're good at what you do because you've followed up on that learning curve and to be honest the steryotype isn't fair because we're all human beings and our degree of skill isn't graded on our race
Posted: July 06, 2012
SaintNM8
Quite Frankly, I'd see it more as a compliment.
Shouldn't be a Big Deal though.

I've seen other Bad Assery with Artists from other parts of the world.

It's all good..!
Posted: November 03, 2013
3d artist gallery Andyba
SaintNM8, which part of the world? Smile