3d forums home Resources for 3d artists

Industry Standard 3D program(s)

Posted: October 15, 2010
Leonhodge83
Hi I am going to school for animation, I would like to know the standard programs that animation studios are using these days? I am being taught with 3dsmax for animation but i came from a previous Art school that said Maya was the industry standard.
Posted: October 19, 2010
baalnazzar
You can animate in 3dsmax (I'm working on max too) but Maya rather is the standard. When you look at job offers from animation studios you'll notice that most of them needs someone who work with Maya.
Posted: October 20, 2010
3d artist gallery Andyba
Yes Maya is most used in animation studios but it doesn't mean that it is the only industry standard 3d program. As a matter of fact the 3ds max package is used in more companies than Maya is including architectural visualization and gaming. Personally I think that feature wise all of these 3d animation software are industry standard.
Posted: November 22, 2010
BlackFear
Every school will tell you that the 3d animation software they teach is the industry standard. Smile
dTb
I kind of agree with BlackFear. Smile
At Pixar they have their own proprietary 3d animation software.
So in the industry everything is not about software but about your animation skills.
BlackFear
Well considering that animation has a broader sense than character animation. That includes particle simulation, motion capture and so on - the knowledge of 3d software is also important.
Posted: November 26, 2010
The_GodfatherSJP
How does Blender fit into all this? The project I'm working with uses that instead.
Posted: December 06, 2010
MSpark
maya is mainly used in media industry ,3ds max is used in game industry ,both are. popular