3d forums home Resources for 3d artists

Should i quit?

Posted: July 02, 2010
Jackul
Hey guys, i've recently got into 3d animation and have taken up a course learning to use 3ds max, though my problems is i can't draw at all Sad, been trying to teach mysefl but it just doesn't seem to be happening.
Whenever i look at animation jobs they all say you need to have excellent drawing skills, now i know i'm good so far with what i've learnt in 3ds and i think i can animate in that pretty well once i've learnt all the basics.
My question is, shud i give up trying to do animation as a career and perhaps just do it as a hobby or would i be able to land a job in the animation industry without having great drawing skills?
Thank you
Posted: July 02, 2010
DeltaAddiction
If you're not willing to put in the work, I say quit. There's no way that you'd be interested in pursuing an art related industry and not have some sort of drawing skills down in there. Keep drawing, take some classes, if it's something you really want to pursue then go for it.
Posted: July 07, 2010
CG forums guest
Everybody can learn to draw.
Just find your medium and start drawing, you don't need talent to learn to draw, what you need is perseverance.
There are lots of really talented people that didn't achieve anything in life, and there are lots of those that had difficulties doing something, but worked hard and became successful.
Posted: September 02, 2010
karan22
Go for a pre-prrodcution course also.. they'll teach you to draw poses and all..
Posted: November 07, 2010
cinematicfusion
you aren't going to be an instant success overnight. It takes time to learn how to draw, to learn to use 3ds max, learn story telling skills, ect.

You don't have to be an amazing illustrator to work in the 3d industry....it helps though. Just keep at it. I'm not that great at drawing...but I'm pretty good at creating ideas on the computer.
Posted: December 06, 2010
akky111
people called Tim Burton, "crazy" for his crazy ideas, zombie-like charecters and weird backgrounds full of gothic smell.... he is one of the top-class directors in town.... hope this explains.... if u had to be an expert in drawing, u shud have chosen to be a painter or drafts person.... who says u have to be great in drawing to be an animator....????? just think.. its two different "words"...... that simple... just go forward... dont mind ppl telling u stuff...
Posted: December 07, 2010
The_GodfatherSJP
To paraphrase an old joke, how do you get good at drawing? Practice, practice, practice.

The more you draw, the better you'll get. But it won't come easy. Like most skills, you have to develop them over time with prolonged work.
Posted: February 02, 2011
saurie
Don't get discouraged, but if you're interested in animation I'd strongly advise you to practice your drawing skills. There's no magic trick to it, just practice, look at some books, even if it's just copying the drawings at first. I'd strongly recommend looking for life drawing classes in your area. Sometimes you can find cheap ones you can just drop into.
Posted: February 05, 2011
iampowerpink
I can't draw either. I've been in this field for 10 years already. Don't give up.
Posted: February 12, 2011
Kamagoi
Yeah I can't draw to save my life! But my 3d modeling skills are good. I used to think that if you can't draw, then 3d is not for you. But after putting hard work and dedication I don't think like that anymore and neither should you.
Posted: March 03, 2011
marshall90
You've already started it, don't quit boy..
Posted: March 04, 2011
holipop
If you're doing 3D animation then you don't need to draw! If you can wow people enough with your 3d stuff they won't care about your 2d stuff. In my experience in games animation there's never been a requirement to draw.