3d forums home Resources for 3d artists

Hey guys, I'm a newbie and I need some help :( URGENTLY

Posted: October 18, 2009
lostsoul89
hey whats goin on? Im George. I'm sort of new to 3d...but ive used a few 3d programs already....but like Im trying to say, im no expert. I want to learn so much more....the 3d world fascinates me.
My problem is this.....I'm using a Acer laptop which i just bought, wasting ALL the money I had left on it. But theres a HUGE problem....NO 3D program has worked on it correctly. I've tried Daz Studio 2.0, Daz Studio 3, Cinema 4D, Poser 6, and Lightwave 9 on it...and they ALL run EXTREMELY slow...making it impossible for me to even POSE my characters....and when i try rendering ANYTHING or load MORE then a base model...the program either crashes or takes extremely long to render OR pose...RENDERS finish in about 30 minutes (fastest render speed ive gotten). I got into Lightwave, and even being alot HARDER then Poser or Daz...I friggin LOVED the program, but now it wont even launch Sad.
My laptop has 250 gb's of hard drive, 2 gb's RAM, my processor is 1.33 GHz , Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 500, and uses OpenGL 1.1 (impossible to update to a higher version...my video card supports OpenGL 1.0 up to OpenGL 2.0, but the driver DOESNT support it.)
What I want to know is....WHAT program (new or old versions) would work on my computer? I'm looking for a program that would give me good quality renders for human modeling (making people) and environment modeling (for scenes)...I dont care of it gives me photo realistic renders, I only care about a program that will run. And just in case....I used Poser 6, and the renders were ok, compared to Daz Studios or later Poser versions, but something like that I would take. Again, I dont care if the program is a old version....thanks guys and I hope u can help.

G57
Posted: October 26, 2009
3d artist gallery Andyba
3d is usually hardware demanding and usually a dedicated graphics accelerator that is not onboard is needed. Your Intel Graphics Media Accelerator is probably an onboard chip that's why all your 3d programs are so slow. Your notebook can be used for low polygonal stuff that is usable in games though.
Posted: February 19, 2010
andrewbell
As previous post says... my pc is pretty much top of range i7 processor, 12 gig ram etc.... sometimes I run out of ram, sometimes pc crashes. Rendering is CPU intensive and can take days to render one frame for animation
Posted: March 25, 2010
ryan888
ur configuration is low in terms of hardware is concern bcaz any animation or 3d program demands high configuration....n also ACER laptops are not really good to run grapics program....but still i think that u can try MAYA 3d program, i hope it will solve ur problem.
Posted: March 27, 2010
makecg
ram is probably why it's slow maybe.
Posted: April 06, 2010
PixelOz
I have the feeling that you are going to need more horsepower than the one your laptop can provide. The hard disk and the ram is Ok but that's about the only thing good in your PC. 3D graphics is very demanding in both graphic chips and CPU overall.

Also you mentioned a 1.3 Ghz CPU but you didn't mention which one and for example there is quite a difference between a Pentium III and a Pentium 4.

I think that for a laptop you need at least a 2 Ghz Pentium 4 (and there is a difference between a regular Pentium 4 processor and an hyperthreading Pentium 4 particularly in 3D rendering) but I recommend overall at least a more modern dual core CPU (laptop or desktop) and more cores make an enormous difference in rendering because rendering in 3D programs is mostly CPU based so in 3D programs more CPU cores make a huge difference in rendering performance.

The graphics chip in your computer only displays the 3D graphics as you edit them but the rendering is CPU based except for some newer programs that are starting to take advantage of a newer features in graphic cards like GPU computing but this is just starting to appear on the scene and most rendering is still done through the CPU.

Now, the slowness in editing your 3D model is mostly related to a slow graphic chip but the CPU speed will affect that to a degree too.

Laptops that have a graphic chips made by ATI or NVidia usually outperform others in graphics.

If your CPU is an Atom then, well Atoms are not known to be the best performers around so I'm sorry for that if that is the case.
Posted: April 16, 2010
3d artist gallery Andyba
Try Blender, I even managed to run it on my PDA with 64mb of ram. Smile
On my linux system it starts almost instantly and works like a charm.
The rendering will take some time on a slow cpu, but modeling and animation is very fast.