3d forums home Resources for 3d artists

3ds Max: please help - noob question

Posted: June 01, 2006
Ted Town
hey.. on 3ds max 8, i see objects as either a block of colour (when ive got the viewport set as smooth and highlights) or a wire frame (if i choose wireframe)
but in the tutorial i'm using it shows the colour of the object, and the wire frame
drop007
press f4?
Max3D
Click on SHOW EDGES
or f4 hehe
Ted Town
is there a way i can set my max to be like this?
where's the show edges option, as im sure ill forget F4! hehe
Posted: June 02, 2006
drop007
hm nope, better start learning shortcuts Wink
Max3D
ive tried to get myself out of using too many shortcuts in max lately, cuz i keep using Zbrush shortcuts in max and vice versa
show edges , right click on the viewport text ( front, left , perspective )
drop007
ah Smile
that must be tough, i prefer the shortcuts, i mainly use one package, and it speeds up the workflow quite a bit Smile
Max3D
oh dont get me wrong, shortcuts are definately the way to go
but i sometimes am going inbetween zbrush and max at the same time, and well it gets messy hehe
specially inside zbrush
drop007
i can imagine Smile
Ted Town
ahh hah, youre gods!
thanks for that.. I can continue with my tutorial now Smile
Posted: June 03, 2006
Max3D
Did you ever use it, drop007?
when your editing your 3dmodel , and your in edit mode, if you hit a shortcut that takes you out of edit mode , you can no longer edit your 3dmodel, its not baked to the canvas and no longer a full 3d model hehe big uh-oh type shit goin on then
drop007
nope not yet Max3D, too bad, i wanna try it soon, need to get my char modelling skills somewhat higher though
sperll
It's a shame they don't make a Zbrush addon within Max
Max3D
well there are several apps that are adding micro modeling tools to their toolset in upcoming versions
i know Silo was one of them, theres another app thats along the same lines as silo the name illudes me
but yes 3dsmax definately needs to consider adding support for baking down multi-million poly mesh details
Zbrush still holds the torch for that type of detailing though
i havnt made a model over 5000 poly's in max since i got zbrush hehe