3d forums home Resources for 3d artists

[Rigging] Artistic vs Biological

Posted: February 10, 2013
LuminousDemon
Hello everyone,

After having explored the fine art of 3D-model rigging, I began to wonder: Why this way?
I see many humanoid creatures (covered in skin) being rigged with applying the joints to the sculpture, however this doesn't look right to me.

Lets start to explain my view:
When there is made a model of a (human) skeleton, every single bone can count as a joint and move relative to one another. So no part of the sculpture itself gets bent.
When trying to bend a human (skeleton+flesh+muscles+skin) every part of the model moves, the skin stretches, the flesh pull things apart, etc.
When you observe this closely, the result doesn't seem right.

Now I was wondering if it is possible to build up a human (or other creature) with each layer of it. First skeleton, tendons, muscles, flesh, skin.
So when every bone of the skeleton gets moves, it pulls the rest of the body with it. Which will get a more natural result. (I mean, this is the way it happens in real-life)

However, this would also increase the rendering and calculation time.
So I was wondering if anyone has experience in the field, about how to rigg a model nice enough it almost looks "real".
I hope you would share your experience.

Thanks in advance,
LuminousDemon
Posted: April 27, 2013
3d artist gallery Andyba
Hi LuminousDemon ,
You can do it in High end 3d animation packages like 3ds Max, Maya and Softimage.
Actually Movie Studios are using this method quite often.