3d forums home Resources for 3d artists

How do you get straightened UV's? 3DS Max

Posted: September 06, 2012
joshuagilbreath
Hello All,

I am needing some advice. I am trying to unwrap the uv's for a plane and need to get the UV's quite straight.There will be perpendicular and parallel lines running across the bottom of the plane. I am having a little bit of difficulty getting things straight and tidey for texture painting.

Here are a few pictures of what I am talking about.

This one is just a picture of how my checker pattern is not following my lines of geometry.

Here, I would like to ask how do you get the uv's to straighten up.

My current UV layout for the body of the plane.

I apologize if these questions seem elementary, I have been modeling for a long time although I just recently gotten into texture through UV layouts.

Thank you! Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Posted: November 10, 2013
3d artist gallery Andyba
The checker lines are not supposed to follow your geometry. Checker textures are used to check if there are distortions in the UV mapping.
For example you have a serious distortion on the nose of the plane, so you will have difficulties adding details in that location.

Regarding straight lines, you can either use a separate UV channel with planar projection mapping to paint them then bake the texture to an unwrapped UV channel, or use software that can project your stokes directly on the 3d model.
Right now Mudbox is really good at this.