3d forums home Resources for 3d artists

Newbie with a dream

Posted: August 26, 2012
BluesMatt
Hello everyone. I'd like some advice.

I have a personal project in mind and am not quite sure what tools I should be using. I'd like to create a series of houses (probably 5 and all different from one another) that surround a pond. I'd like to add landscaping (trees, rocks, sand, dirt, flowers, bushes, ...). Then I'd like to animate a camera fly-around and make a movie.

When I get this far, I'd like to model the inside of each house and do a fly through and create a movie.

As a "final" step, I'd like to allow the viewer to control the fly-around around the outside and on the inside of whichever building(s) they'd like to enter.

I have no budget for software so I'm thinking Blender although I did find a bunch of other free 3D modeling tools.

I understand that my goals are very high and that a substantial amount of time will be needed. I'm running a Windows Vista PC.

Looking forward to all comments. thanks
Posted: September 11, 2012
Aaron Production
tons of tutorials online... tons
Posted: September 11, 2013
3d artist gallery Andyba
If you want free 3d software than blender is the way to go.
Blender is the most mature free and open source software for 3d modeling and animation.
Right now blender has some tools that in my opinion are better than in 3ds max, and I am a veteran user of 3ds max.

Also blender has the game engine that will allow to implement the last step where the user controls the camera.