3d forums home Resources for 3d artists

Limiting an IK chain bone limits all bones, how do I fix?

Posted: June 16, 2012
SockMonkey
I'm trying to animate a robot arm in 3dsmax with an IK chain, but I need the shoulder of the chain to only rotate with the Y axis. I've followed the instructions by Imho in the "IK Chains Bending Problems" post, and it works great, except that when I limit the base bone (shoulder) of the IK chain, the rest of the bones have the same limit. So if I limit the y axis of the shoulder, the elbow and hand are limited as well.

It seems to me that there should be a perfectly reasonable, and easy way to fix this, but I can't find it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Posted: June 19, 2012
3d artist gallery Andyba
Can't you just select each individual bone and set the limits?
If you could attach a screen shot of what you have at the moment it could help us see the problem.
Posted: June 25, 2012
SockMonkey
Andyba wrote:
Can't you just select each individual bone and set the limits?

I can, but only in ascending order. So I can limit the hand, then the elbow and shoulder work just fine. But if I limit the elbow, the hand will have the same limitations the elbow had, plus the original limit placed on the hand. The same thing if I limit the shoulder.

I think I may just avoid limits all together, from what I've been reading its a pretty buggy area of 3dsmax. Especially in 2010.

Edit: By the way, thanks for the suggestion! Smile