3d forums home Resources for 3d artists

New Guy needing sage wisdom on character modeling and posing

Posted: March 24, 2012
jadeplatypus
Hi, I'm not sure whether I should have posted this here or in animation but oh well here goes.

I'm trying to make a custom miniature for my dungeon and dragons character. Geeky beyond reckoning I know but I need advice. I want to custom sculpt him and pose him, then add armor and weapons and have a company print him out so I can paint him.

I'm wondering what the best way is to go about doing this. I'm an art student so I have access to 3DS Maya, Mudbox, and some other programs. I have DAZ studio 4, and sculptris. It would be fantastic to find a premade character base to work from, as the character is not human. I could sculpt him myself but if the work could be half done already I would be ecstatic.

I need to know how to sculpt a character that I can add weapons and armor to and pose, then send to a company to print. I have the company picked out, unless anyone has any suggestions or experience on the matter.

Thank you in advance for any advice!
Posted: March 26, 2012
baalnazzar
ZBrush and its ZSpheres will let you model your character and pose it as you want. For printing you'll probabely need a model with dense mesh to have all details so I see no sense in modeling and then rigging it.
Posted: March 27, 2012
jadeplatypus
Okay thanks! I don't currently have access to zbrush but I'm working on that. Thanks for the advice!
Posted: June 03, 2012
3d artist gallery Andyba
You can also pose 3d models in the latest versions of Mudbox.
Posted: June 22, 2012
jayd
Zbrush bought out Sculptris a while back--it was distributed freely and works pretty much the same as Zbrush--you might want to hunt around on the net for it and see if its still available.

Ah, I found it--its owned by Pixelogic which owns Zbrush and it's still free:

but you have to google as this is my first post and I am not yet grown up enough to have links in my message. Anyway, its out there if you want it.
Posted: June 22, 2012
3d artist gallery Andyba
Hi Jayd,
Welcome to the 3d forums Smile
Here is the link you probably wanted to post.
http://www.pixologic.com/sculptris/

On the topic, does sculptris allow posing characters?
Posted: July 22, 2012
milivoj_popovic
yea, mudbox you can do this in for sure. It has a human base model you can start with and you can pose in there as well. Not as advanced as Zbrush, but it will do the job