3d forums home Resources for 3d artists

Just one question about modeling a character

Posted: March 16, 2012
andreysc7
Hi, I am new here and I hope that I will find the answer.

I am modeling the sackboy because I want to create some short animations. I will make the model, the texture, the rig, scenes, etc. My question is :

"When I am done with the character and with the eyes, how should I model the interior of the mouth ? even if in the mouth will not be lots of the details but I want to do it right. I know it sounds weird but should I make the mouth open ? or how ? " I am asking because after I will move forward to rig my character and I would like to know which is the best way

Its the first time when I am modeling a character and I want to do it correctly. Thank you Smile
Posted: March 26, 2012
Jordan-Lake
My advice would be to get an area for your mouth and then select those faces and extrude them inward. Then to move the mouth you could set it up with a rig if you want.
Posted: February 20, 2013
3d artist gallery lyndon
hi andreysc7,

if you intend rig the mouth for animation, you wil definitely need to model the mouth in an open position. however do not wait till the modelling process is completed before adding a rig. although this may sound strange, using a rig while modelling to test how the model is going to deform during animation is actually quite common practice. in your case you might need to rig the jaw while modelling so that you can see what the mouth looks like when opened and closed. hippydrome.com is a good resourse on how to create effective edgeloops while modelling, but the information is a bit indepth.
Posted: December 19, 2017
lukedwyer
You can extrude it in and select all the faces of the mouth then hide unselected, this will help you to see inside the mouth while you model it.