3d forums home Resources for 3d artists

Simple 3D wireframe software with physics, ability to import

Posted: October 10, 2011
BioStudent
Hi everyone, and thank you for the help in advance. I'm looking for software that lets me work with 3D models and has physics, so I can set up simple scenarios. For example, if I have two shapes connected at a point and give them both a mass, I can tell one shape to move with a set force and see how the other moves.

The big problem is I need to be able to import the 3D shapes. I'm using Amira right now, so I can import them as wireframes, sets of points, or any of the ways Amira can visualize and export data. Or the data originally comes from DICOM files, or TIFF images (stacks of greyscale 2D slices that combine to make a 3D object).

Does software like that exist? If so it would be extremely helpful. An added bonus would be if the software can change the shape of an object (example, these two sticks are attached, one shrinks and drags the other along with). That would be helpful too, though I should be able to get along without it.
Posted: October 11, 2011
baalnazzar
I suppose Amira exports such standard files as .OBJ Smile If yes, then you can import them anywhere. OBJ actually works with most of soft. Such physics you can make in 3DSmax for sure. I suppose that any similar soft like MAYA or C4D could be able to do it too.
Posted: October 11, 2011
BioStudent
Thanks for the info! Amira does export in .OBJ, so that's not a problem. I looked at 3DSmax, and I don't think the department head (I'm working with these images for my PhD) is willing to put down $3495 for it. Doesn't help that it's Windows only and he's a die-hard mac fan (only Macs in the office, though some have bootcamp). Are there any cheaper options? I just started playing around with Blender 2 minutes ago, but haven't seen any capabilities to deform objects and observe resulting physics from it, specifically like I talked about above with the sticks. Of course, it's only been 2 minutes so I might have not seen it yet Smile.
Posted: October 12, 2011
baalnazzar
Blender is really good and free but I don't know anything about physics there Wink I've found some tutorial here http://thefilthyspoon.blogspot.com/2008/05/blender-physics-animation-tutorial.html maybe it will help some. I suppose that you can find more tutorials about physics with no problem Wink
Posted: October 14, 2011
BioStudent
Excellent, thanks again for the help Smile. I'm sure I'll be on this forum more, since I'm just now getting into this stuff. Also signed up for Autocad, though apparently my HD isn't HFS+, so I'll be installing it on the computer at uni tomorrow.