3d forums home Resources for 3d artists

FumeFX lighting problem

Posted: May 01, 2011
SiggiTrust
Hi everyone. Anyone familiar with fumeFX. I desperately need help.
Thing is, I'm making a modeling reel with a character standing on a small platform. I've put four urns around him with fire rising up from them. I'm satisfied with the flames themselves, but I can't seem to get the lighting. I've looked endlessly on the web for help

I'm using mental ray. I have an HDRI bg image and Skylight and one Directional Light on the character. A plane with simple granite texture is below. The character lights up okay from the skylight and dir. light. However, the plane is completely dark and the platform pretty much too. I want that small flickering lighting from the fire.

When I render, I get the message that FusionWorks Renderer is not supported and sometimes that the FumeFX001 has invalid texture vertices or sum.

I read that GI seems to be the key, but enabling that just puts red splashes of light underneath the urns and a little on the platform. It does seem to be the light from the fire though. I'm not too familiar with using GI.

I've also tried setting up Omni lights at where the fire is and adding them to the Illum. tab. Can't see a difference there.

Please help anyone. Need it fast. Thanks!
Posted: May 02, 2011
baalnazzar
Hi. You have lighting problem because FumeFX doesn't generate any lights. You just have to simulate it with standard lights. Just place some mrAreaOmni light in the place where fire is and animate its multiplier by adding Noise Float in the Curve Editor.

Maybe you have errors because you have older version of Fume FX? You need at least version 1.2 c to use it in mental ray.
Posted: May 02, 2011
SiggiTrust
Yeah, I thought about that as a last resort and I might as well do that. I also figured out with that plane, when I merge it in, it seemed to ignore the lighting in the scene, bu when I raised it to somewhere above the character, it suddenly lighted up....kind of strange since there's skylight in the scene and a dir.light right on there and the character still lights up fine.
Thanks for the tip baalnazzar:)
Posted: October 26, 2015
shravan
if you face fumefx light flicker issue : chek this out
http://www.vfxmill.in/3ds-max-fumefx-render-flickering-issue.html