3d forums home Resources for 3d artists

Where do I start as an aspiring 3D Animator?

Posted: March 16, 2011
bap3221
I know theres so many fields but where do I start. I just started about 2 months ago and I am getting really comfortable with Maya. Im above average with traditional drawing but I can be really good if i keep practicing. I bought a couple of expensive magazines for tutorials like life drawing and 3D artist magazine to practice more. I like character design and making environments. When should I know where I want to be as a 3D animator?

My college is okay here in Southern California for 3D animation (its nothing special, I feel like i will get more studying tutorials, reading books, and magazines...teachers are not the best but have worked with the hollywood industry...basically they were just tired of working in a stressing environment). I need into some internship but I dont have a portfolio yet since i just started. But im planning on taking courses in Gnomon School in Hollywood.

Basically I like traditional drawing but I like 3d animation more. The style im trying to go for would be more towards working with an audience of kids. Pixar or Disney like. I wouldnt mind going complicated, I have full confidence I can do that too but Id rather work with something for kids. What direction should I go in or how should I start? How did you start?

Gnomon offers individual courses. What would you recommend to start with? Im a very motivated in doing the best I can. Alot of people say im an overcheiver basically (probably bad that i am). But i always start with the basics before I go complicated. Any advice? Anything would be appreciated. Thanks!

All this school is gonna get me is a piece of worthless bachelors degree paper SO I NEED OPINIONS. Its a fast track college basically and I graduate in October so I want to get the best I can outside of school.
Posted: May 02, 2011
3d artist gallery lyndon
animation mentor has some impressive courses I've heard
Posted: May 12, 2011
Trax
I second Animation Mentor. You should take a look at them.
Posted: June 28, 2011
Leroy
As you mentioned there are many different options in the field. I work at a television and graphic artists are always in demand. Good luck though.
Posted: June 30, 2011
ryanky02
I have been wondering the same thing.