3d forums home Resources for 3d artists

3ds max 2012, 2013...new features wanted!

Posted: February 21, 2011
pytemp
What do u guys want to have in 3ds max?What's weak point of this app?
Posted: March 10, 2011
dTb
I think the weakest point of 3ds max is - it can not read my mind and do exactly what I need.
Posted: March 10, 2011
FreeJaz
I don't agree with dTb. I think the weakest point of 3ds max is the fact that it can not read my clients mind and create the exact imagery that he needs. Very Happy
Posted: September 02, 2011
sidow
3ds max is getting really messy in the later releases such as 2011.

The Slate-material editor is incredbily buggy, if you select "show map in viewport" on the texture module of a blend/multi-sub-object the entire application crashes.

If you want to create a mult-sub-object you have to delete all of the materials you don't want, which happens for anything less than 10 materials.

The whole point of the new material editor isn't utillised at all. If you select a material-module the keyframes for that module should appear, but they don't. Animating materials is no better than previous releases.

The Caddies are a mess, the spinners should be vertical and to the right of the input field so as to be in keeping with everything else. Things should be CONSISTENT!

Why did they rename and move the "make preview" which was in the animation menu?

The ribbon menu is a mess, all of the sub-object relevant tools should be placed under the modifier tab. At the moment some tools are under the modifer tab and some are on the main toolbar, which is messy!

Reactor from Havoc was shit and although max 2012 has less functionality, what it does have seems better.

What Max 2013 needs is multi-core support for particles and further improvement to the new physics system. That requires a lot of work, so I hope Autodesk stops wasting time creating gimmicky features! There is little reason to upgrade from max 2008 to max 2011. All of the changes are so minor. Yes the viewport canvas is nice, but people already have photoshop! The view-cube and steering wheels are a waste of time, Max already has viewport shortcuts that are faster....

They are turning Max's UI into Autocad's which is a mistake.
Posted: September 05, 2011
baalnazzar
If Blender will get a good renderer then max will need a lot to be worth of paying. Autodesk should start to think about serious upgrade for their product.
Posted: September 07, 2011
lukx
yeah removing havoc is painfull
Posted: September 13, 2011
sidow
*There is an option to make a multi-subobject appear without any, or as many materials as you want in the Slate editor as a default.

3ds max 2012 was sort of a joke release. 2012 has less functionality than 2011. As bad as reactor for max is/was (hadn't been developed for ages, erratic behaviour despite having real-world units entered and having to use a separate preview window), it has far more functionality than the 2012 release of MassFX, which is identical to the Physx plugin created by Nvidia. The ridiculous thing is that Autodesk had AGES to develop their own system, 5+ years and yet they chose to drop reactor before they had developed their own system? Crazy.

Unfortunately for 3ds max 2013 to be better (in the long run) some other features might have to be dropped. 3ds max is composed of plugins due to the fact that no one has really been developing it for years. This meant that lots of 3rd party companies sprung up to address the massive weaknesses that Max had. All Autodesk seems to have done in the past is bought/licenced various plugins and integrated them with Max. So now there is Biped and CAT. Two things that are perhaps too similar to co-exist. There are other examples of duality that need to be addressed.

The task of re-writting 3ds Max is mammoth, but for what ever reason they seem committed to yearly release cycles. Which seems silly as it might mean that a new release is a step behind a previous release in terms of functionality in order to acheive stability.

Okay I might be being a bit harsh in saying that 3ds max hasn't really been developed much. However, in the really important areas it hasn't. The new modelling tools and selection features in 2010 are great, but it seems Autodesk have been putting off doing any hard-work for as long as possible. It has got to the point where 3rd-party companies are creating more exciting products than Autodesk are. I don't know why anyone would want to "upgrade" to 3dsmax 2012 anyway; I view the release as more of a progress report.
Posted: October 25, 2011
georgpaul49
3dsmax is the best Software ever, but to expensive.
I create all my animations with Carrara8 pro.
Very cool!
have fun