3d forums home Resources for 3d artists

Any tips on buying a workstation

Posted: February 19, 2011
michaelwesleym
Hi everyone, I'm a UK based architect who has a keen interest in animation (and has always had an interest in 3d animation). I'm currently into buying a new workstation to begin my journey on self teaching myself 3d animation using maya, zbrush and 3d max....

Has anyone got any suggestions on the type of workstation I should be looking at as a starter upper as it were but with enough technology to see me through for the next 3-4 years (as we all know software upgrades every 6/12 months).

Laughing
Posted: November 04, 2013
Endorfin
Kind of old topic.But if you would do it today, you need an i7 cpu, 16+ Gb of ram, an 256+ GB SSD, and an R9 290X or Nvidia Titan.
Posted: July 26, 2023
qtatlai
Hi everyone! It's great to see a fellow UK-based architect with an interest in animation. Self-teaching 3D animation using Maya, ZBrush, and 3D Max sounds like an exciting journey!
Considering the nature of your work, I'd recommend looking for a workstation with powerful processing capabilities and ample memory to handle the demands of these software applications. As you plan for the next 3-4 years, investing in a workstation with a strong CPU and a dedicated GPU will ensure smoother rendering and efficient multitasking.
Also, pay attention to the storage options. An SSD for faster access to your projects and assets https://dgbrefrigeration.com.au/, along with sufficient storage space, will be beneficial. Given that software upgrades are frequent, having a versatile workstation that can handle the latest updates is crucial.