3d forums home Resources for 3d artists

Is GeForce GTX 570 good for 3ds max?

Posted: January 29, 2011
Mihaela
Hello Everybody!
I want to buy a new computer and my question is about what gaming video card is best for working in 3ds max. My budget does not allow a professional card.

Is GeForce GTX 570 good for working in 3ds max 11?
I heard that GeForce 4xx versions have some limitations...
I need answers based on real life experience not based on benchmarks.

Thank you
Mihaela
Posted: February 20, 2011
Ehrman
I just built a system with a GTX570 and a new 2600k i7 processor and the 3DS max performance is horrible, worse than the old Geoforce 8800 mobile card in my bootcamped iMac. I stumbled across your post while troubleshooting this problem and thought I'd respond.

Best,
Ehrman
Posted: February 22, 2011
baalnazzar
I heard that 4xx series works worse than 9xxx which worked fine. I'd like to change my machine for stronger and good for both work and for games because I like to relax playing sometimes, but it looks to be a problem.
Posted: March 05, 2011
3d artist gallery Andyba
Ehrman, is it possible that the problem is because of the error in the 2600k architecture?

Did you try using the GTX570 on another machine and see how it works?
Did you use the same version of 3ds max on both machines old and new?
Is AMD a better solution at the moment?
Posted: March 09, 2011
Ehrman
Andyba, I haven't been able to use the card on another machine, but from what I understand the 2600k architecture problem only causes a gradual but pronounced degradation to SATA connections on the motherboard. I have tried the same version of 3DS max on both systems side by side with the same results, the only difference is, the older computer is running windows XP. I've heard some positive things about a new quadro driver that's been circulating in forums for the past couple days thats been modified to work with a gtx570. ATI is not an option for me because I like to import my builds into second life and the advanced features I use are not supported by ATI cards.
Posted: March 11, 2011
3d artist gallery Andyba
A new quadro driver?
Now that is interesting! Smile
Did you try it?