3d forums home Resources for 3d artists

Need help with diamond/jewelry rendering!

Posted: January 25, 2011
mrtep1
Hi guys,

I've got a really big problem here that i've been trying to figure out for ages...
what kind of software/render does a website like this use for their renders?

jamesallen. com/engagement-rings/solitaire/2mm-Knife-Edge-18k-White-Gold-Solitaire-Ring.html

recently, another website is able to do the exact same thing:
vivodiamonds. com/rt/sdetail.pl?cfg=bpl&cat=8&sku=880&c_gid=0

I've been using matrix plugin onto rhino for modelling and the vray build in to render, the diamond does not sparkle like theirs, and i don't think it's a big secret since another company is able to do it almost 100% the same...

been scalping google and can't get any information at all on anything similar (the diamond's sparkle) and what render engine.

Really need some input! Greatly appreciate it!
Posted: January 27, 2011
3d artist gallery Andyba
The actual sparkle is a post production effect. That is applied to the already rendered images. In 3ds max there is such an effect and it is called sparkle. Smile

Now how they rendered such a realistic refraction with light dispersion I don't know. I would try to use a similarly colored environment map that will be applied to reflection and refraction in Vray that will visually look like light dispersion.
But there is a probability they have used a Physically-based Rendering engine like Fryrender.

Here I found a diamond rendered in Fryrender, but without light dispersion:

And here is something done in VRAY:

which lacks the sparkle post production effect and the light dispersion.
Posted: February 16, 2012
cybertron
I'm pretty sure it's a combo of Maya and rendering engine. I'm almost certain it's NOT 3DMax.

I looked at their site and am also impressed. Especially with their 3-stone rings.

http://www.jamesallen.com/design-your-three-stone-ring/

I know someone who bought an engagement ring from them and I can see why.
Posted: March 02, 2012
Wilbur
Really?Are you so sure?How it is rendered?
Posted: March 03, 2012
baalnazzar
I'm sure that this can be max. I don't know Fryrender but V-Ray is able to render such things. In mental ray you can do it even better if you're good in working with it. Post effects like sparkles can be done in max too but it is more comfortable to do it in another soft.