3d forums home Resources for 3d artists

Maya Blend Shape Animation Editor Not Allowing Me to Key?

Posted: January 17, 2011
riverswebb7
Anyone know why I'd be able to key blends from the Channel Box but not from the Blend Shape Editor? There has to be some setting I've missed... right?

I'm working with the Pixar Model they offer (or offered) for free online. And I'm so rusty in Maya I've forgotten how to fix this issue....

Can anyone offer me any insight? I'm searching google but finding nothing helpful. I just need to know how to get the blend shape editor to allow me to key from there.

Thanks - J.

This_Dude.jpg
3d artist gallery Andyba
Does it show any errors when you try to key?
Explain step by step how exactly you are trying to create keys with the Blend Shape editor.
Can you create keys with the Blend Shape editor on other 3d models?
dTb
I am not a Maya expert but My guess is that the Blend shapes are wired to some controllers. So you should be keying the controllers instead of the blend shapes
riverswebb7
Andyba wrote:
Does it show any errors when you try to key?
Explain step by step how exactly you are trying to create keys with the Blend Shape editor.
Can you create keys with the Blend Shape editor on other 3d models?

Ok, So if I go into the BS editor, slide a slider and hit "Key" under the slider it doesn't work. If I slide the slider and hit "S" it does not work. If I slide the slider and hit "Key All" it does not work. If I slide the slider and hit "select" then any of the above, it does not work. If I slide the slider and in the Channel box, right click and select "Key All" it does not work.

Now, if I forget about the BS editor and close that - then go to the Channel Box and with a deformer selected, type in a number from 1-10 and key that, it works.

That's the only way I can get the blends to work. Select a deformer, type in a number and key from the Channel Box. This way of animating blends is so frickin painful though. There are 3 deformers for the mouth. So I have to click each, type in a number and key for each of them separately.

I'm truly hoping you know how to make the BS editor work. ...If not though... can you tell me how to drag on the channel box and get the numbers to change? Right now I'm typing them because I can't figure out how to drag on it and get the settings to change... I'm really rusty. Sad

Let me know what you think, and thanks. -J
Posted: January 18, 2011
3d artist gallery Andyba
Can't you just move the deformer?
I think that as dTb said all the blend shapes might be linked to the deformer transformations and if you move the deformer it should also change the blend shape parameters otherwise there is no sense in the deformer in the first place.