3d forums home Resources for 3d artists

Modeling software compatibility...

Posted: November 26, 2010
The_GodfatherSJP
Hi, I've got a general question for the forums:

How compatible are models made by Blender vs. those made through Maya? Can you copy work from one to the other, are there tremendous problems, etc?

Yes, I know, total nooB question. I'm a complete amateur at this and I'm posting here to find information for the project I'm running. So don't blast me apart for idiotic posts...too badly.
Posted: November 30, 2010
baalnazzar
I'm not sure because I've never had to work with Blender. There should be no problem with models. You can just make an .obj which can be opened with any soft Smile Problem would be with materials I suppose. Different soft uses different materials.
Posted: November 30, 2010
The_GodfatherSJP
So once a finished model has textures applied to it, it has to be used exclusively with one program, correct?

Same thing with animation? Can a model animated in Blender be used in another program?
Posted: December 01, 2010
baalnazzar
I'm sure that there is no problem with textures or any maps but shaders rather. If you open model in another soft there should be textures on it but shaders probabely won't work because both softs may use different ones. There should be ability to export animation too and I'm sure it could be done with .fbx. I think most of things can be exported somehow and only shaders can be problem because of different renderers or shaders which are just not supported in another soft.
Posted: December 01, 2010
The_GodfatherSJP
Damn, I'm going to have to fix my Help Wanted ad. Made the mistake of saying Blender experience is a requirement. It really isn't then, outside of the rendering and shading for finished animation.

Reason I'm asking is the CGI team for my project has a bunch of people with different program experience. We've got 6 guys who are Blender users, 2 who use Maya, and one who uses 3DS Max. So yeah, compatibility is a bit of an issue! Smile
Posted: December 02, 2010
baalnazzar
Hehe. There should be no problem. You can even make few simple tests with exporting files from one soft to another to see if there is no problem with interpretation during import. Working in one soft is just easier because you all just use one format then Smile
I was importing animation from DAZ to Max once. I had some problems with animated morphs if I remember well, but finally all could be done Smile