3d forums home Resources for 3d artists

Newbie here.

Posted: November 15, 2010
Twiztid Frost
Quick question, I have a truck hood from an 83 chevy, and I'm modeling it for a game as well as for renders (theres more than just a hood Razz), so i'm trying to keep the poly count low.

How would I go about making the hood appear smooth, but also have refining edges with out increasing the poly count?
The attached image is the section I'm trying to figure out how to appear smoother, but also have a defining edge, if I apply separate smoothing groups thats how it appears. But if I apply a smoothing group (like 1 for the main section of the hood, and 2 edge but have them both highlighted) it appears the same way it would as if it only had one smoothing group applied.

I would post a pic of the full view of the truck, but the forum rules don't allow posting of links tell I get 15 posts >_>

P.S. Sorry for the massive pic, I thought it would resize it :S

Default lighting.jpg
Posted: November 16, 2010
autores77
I'm newbie. Syaril is my name. Very Happy

3dcompositions1.jpg
Posted: November 18, 2010
w3mckn1ght
Hi,

I'm a newbie. I've read a lot of good information on this site. I'm fascinated by computer animation, and all that can be accomplished with it. I'm looking forward to reading more on this site as time goes on.