3d forums home Resources for 3d artists

UV unwrapping problem

Posted: November 02, 2010
serberusno1
Hi,
I'm currently creating an AKs 74U model for gaming purposes and I've come across a problem that needs to be overcome. You see I want to animate the clip moving upon reloading and also the bolt blowback when the weapon is fired. Now my problem is that there will of course be only one texture map for the whole object. But I can't place all objects- the gun body, clip and bolt in the same UV map- if there is a way then let me know please! in order to unwrap them all as one I need to attach them all as elements and when you do this you can't move each part independently. The only alternative I can think of is having them all as separate objects completely with separate UV's but to try place the UV's so each part takes up its own space on the texture maps. But this sounds kind of fidgety and unnecessary.

Any help here would be greatly appreciated, thanks
Posted: November 04, 2010
baalnazzar
Use one common unwarp UVW modifier for your separated objects and then you should be able to have one UV for them.
Posted: November 12, 2010
3d artist gallery patricia3d
If you are using Blender, then you can put SEEMS of your own to create UV Map of your own Desires. If they are pair parts in the model, you can mirror on part of the UV Seem Cut to exact match with another part.
Blender is Great for UV