3d forums home Resources for 3d artists

Intel Core i5 v i7 ???

Posted: August 27, 2010
Soapstar
hey,

Ive been searching the net for a while now trying to find the best deal on a good spec computer. Basically what im asking is whould there be a HUGE difference in rendering time etc between an Intel Core i5 650 and an Intel Core i7 860??

Ive learned that it isnt so much the GPU that does the rendering but the CPU?

Thanks
Posted: August 27, 2010
bryan
I think there is a HUGE difference especially when you are against time, but if time does not matter, well you can have a slower processor specs which would work at stable pace, properly cooled, and has system resources such as memory. But I suggest to have a faster processor, because of course, it would render faster than the slower one. Smile
If u ask it depends on what render engine you work.Mostly of them are CPU based so i agree with bryan but at the moment there is a quite nice GPU render (octane) [sorry still can`t post links] but check it in the youtube or the official site.In this case i think that the cpu is not that important.
In this case u can get the slower processor and some cheap Nvidia Cuda card.(if u dont have one) But as i said it depends from your work
Posted: July 12, 2011
pyoung
There is a world of difference between the i5 and the i7. To begin with, the processor speed between the two is just one point of argument. You might say that in numbers, it would just be a matter of decimals but in computing, that could spell make or break for you.

There are a lot of reviews you can find online to help you with this.
Posted: September 07, 2011
lukx
i7 2600K the best money cna buy
Posted: October 26, 2011
AlexSmitt3d
Soapstar wrote:
hey,

Ive been searching the net for a while now trying to find the best deal on a good spec computer. Basically what im asking is whould there be a HUGE difference in rendering time etc between an Intel Core i5 650 and an Intel Core i7 860??

Ive learned that it isnt so much the GPU that does the rendering but the CPU?

Thanks

You can and i5, but more memory.
Posted: December 04, 2011
xyzman24
In my opinion it depends on how much money you have to spend on your machine. If you have the money go with the best of the best. If not go for the next best thing.