3d forums home Resources for 3d artists

Starting 3D animation, and where to begin?

Posted: July 27, 2010
qcom
Hello everyone,

I have just decided that I would really love to animate 3D models and construct animations on my computer!

This really sounds like a daunting task, and I'm sure it involves countless amounts of hours slaving over minute details, but it really sounds like an intriguing process to me.

I have no experience before, working with 3D models on the computer, and I was wondering where to begin!

I was playing around with Poser 8 (the trial) on my Mac and I was kind of liking the simplicity and readily available models to use. I also am demoing Maya 11 but that is so expensive, and I understand like .0001% of all the things it does!

I was wondering how I can learn to develop this new skill, and what program I should use to begin with. Hopefully if I become good enough, I can step up to Maya eventually!

I would appreciate any suggestions and replies so I'm all ears!

Thanks.
Posted: July 28, 2010
3d artist gallery Andyba
The process of producing 3d animated movies involves the following things:
1. 3d modeling of characters and environment
2. Texturing
3. Rigging the characters (That's preparing the characters for animation)
4. Actual Animation
5. Shader and Lights set up
6. Rendering

In Maya you can do all of them that's why it is so complex.

If you want to learn only 3d animation in Maya for example it is better to find an already rigged character which you will be able to animate.
Posted: July 28, 2010
qcom
OK, that makes sense. Thank you!

Which part does Poser excel at, if it excels at all, would it be 1-4 perhaps? Or just 1 & 4?
Posted: September 17, 2010
ariff13
try build geometrical item first. it'll speed up your learning process. usually in 2 or 3 weeks you'll be able to create some nice 3ds. good luck
Posted: October 06, 2010
TheArkayProductions
watch a lot of tutorials. keep a good look at your references.
you will have to be patient
Posted: November 13, 2010
3d artist gallery patricia3d
Try Blender. Its Free and very easy to use.