3d forums home Resources for 3d artists

An idea I had

Posted: July 17, 2010
sf101
Yo, anyone looking at my post count knows this is my first.
I joined up because I had a question for animators and modelers.

Say you create a 3d model, animate it and what not. Now seeing as how cel-shading attempts to recreate a 2D feel in the subject I was thinking:

Would it be possible to use a 3D model as a tracer for a 2D animation project or something of the sort?
Here's the idea, create the model, give it only a black outline with all the little detals(eyes, mouth, tatto on forearm, etc) traced in black. Now animate it at 24 fps(honestly don't know if this is possible). Next, take pictures of the model in each of those frames importing the image data(or print them out and rescan if no other alternative) into a traditional animation program. Could doing such actually recreate traditionally drawn animation? Or is this just a pipedream by some guy who doesn't know enough?

It's something that has been on my mind for quite some time so I figured I'd ask.
Posted: July 20, 2010
UVlas
You can render everything with 24 fps into a sequence of images that can be easily imported in any 2d animation program. You can even use nice cartoon shaders and only do minor adjustments in the 2d animation program. But you will still have the 3d feel in your animation.