3d forums home Resources for 3d artists

2d or 3d program for this illustration type?

Posted: June 11, 2010
mic3d
I'm an illustrator who often works in Photoshop and Adobe Illustrator. Usually my projects can be solved using these 2D programs (manually drawing on my desk, scanning and then colouring final image in photoshop) but lately I have been questioning whether I should be deploying a 3d solution into my workflow instead.

What is a good versatile 3d program that would be recommended to model the type of image attached to this post? (for geological diagrams). I don't have much time to learn a complex major 3d program such as 3D studio max but I am looking for a quick-to-deploy 3d solution that can be learned in a reasonable amount of time for this type of illustration. Any suggestions?

It would appear from this attached image it is simply a 2D illustration (has a nice character to it). If I decide to stick with a 2D program could someone recommend one suitable? I've been using Photoshop but perhaps I should switch to Painter (I think thats a Corel product?) or something else. Is Painter better for fine art rather than technical images?
Any suggestions?

illustration_sample_2010.jpg
Posted: June 26, 2010
3d artist gallery Andyba
Luxology Modo 3d, has good 3d modeling tools, intuitive interface, great rendering and basic animation. That's if you need rendering.

You can also try Google SketchUp it doesn't get simpler then that. Smile
Posted: June 26, 2010
3d artist gallery Andyba
Regarding 2d programs, I think that photoshop is quite good for this kind of illustration. Did not use Painter for work, so can't say a lot about it.