3d forums home Resources for 3d artists

3d landscape modeling

Posted: January 12, 2010
manevem
Hello all!
I am not sure if this is the right place to ask, but...
I am a student of landscape architecture. I draw my plans in Autocad and then finish them in Photoshop. Now I need to start doing 3d models, but I have no idea what program to use. I need something compatible with CAD programs. I have 2 months to learn the program and do my first project (CAD is already finished) - so I want something that is not too complicated to learn in 2 months, but still good enough to stick with it later, when I do more complicated projects. Sketch up is not really what I am looking for, it's just for basic drawings, I need something better to produce more realistic models. I was considering cinema 4d and 3d max, maybe bryce?
What is easier to use and what produces best/professional results?
Thank you very much for your help!!
Posted: January 24, 2010
Sage & Onion
manevem wrote:
Hello all!
I am not sure if this is the right place to ask, but...
I am a student of landscape architecture. I draw my plans in Autocad and then finish them in Photoshop. Now I need to start doing 3d models, but I have no idea what program to use. I need something compatible with CAD programs. I have 2 months to learn the program and do my first project (CAD is already finished) - so I want something that is not too complicated to learn in 2 months, but still good enough to stick with it later, when I do more complicated projects. Sketch up is not really what I am looking for, it's just for basic drawings, I need something better to produce more realistic models. I was considering cinema 4d and 3d max, maybe bryce?
What is easier to use and what produces best/professional results?
Thank you very much for your help!!

I hope someone answers you soon.
Posted: February 19, 2010
andrewbell
C4d is fairly easy to use (a bit less daunting than 3d max)
Posted: April 13, 2010
naughtyhorse
If you are happy with autocad then max is not too much of a stretch, a fair few new concepts, which you are going to have to face whatever softwatre you use, but the interface will be a bit familiar, plus as max is part of the whole autodesk plot to conquor the universe you can bring dwg's straight into max kinda like xrefs (actually, exaclty like x refs)
Posted: April 18, 2010
Trax
I would go with 3ds Max. My previous instructor did a lot of stuff in that package and they turn out really good.
Posted: July 28, 2010
sancheuz
I vote for 3ds too.... it might have a steeper learning curve but it pays off in the long run
Posted: August 31, 2010
bryan
I am also eager to find out the answer to your question. In my part, I do believe on using 3ds Max for beginners for it is not that complicated to use. You will learn the basics there. Smile
3DS has my voice too Wink 2 months should be enough to learn something useful for you. The rest will come during work Wink