332 Digital Illustration 3
341Graphic Design 3
351 Digital Imaging 3
371 Advanced Graphics 3
472 Interactive Media 3
473 2D/3D Graphics and Animation 3
492 Professional Practices 3
499 Internship 3

As you see, it includes one section of 2D/3D Graphics and Animation. Is that enough if I want to be an animator as good as those who made Veggie Tales, Lord of the Rings or Avatar? Or would it be better to go with a major specifically directed at Animating?

The Animating Major includes not only 3D animation, but 2D animation, stop motion animation, 3D character design, texturing, rigging, animation principles, story-boarding, audio for film, traditional animation (including flipbooks and clay), projects and collaborative work, drawing for animation, motion graphics (skills for green-screening, video collages, various visual effects), internship and more.

Now, a lot of that seems like it would be a waste of time, seeing as I'm really only interested in 3D modeling, animation and special effects. When I read the whole course description, I got the impression that it's all one gets a whole lot of...knowledge and skill to work in making computer animations for films. But does it sound like a good enough major, as opposed to the graphic design major, for working on 3D short/feature films, modeling, animation, and special effects? Are stuff like claymation, stop motion and 2D drawing and animation a waste of time?
Posted: January 16, 2010
3d artist gallery Andyba
You will have to start learning 3d animation and modeling on your own and practice it every day while you study all the above courses.

Stuff like claymation, stop motion and 2D drawing and 2d animation are definitely very useful. Animation and 3d models are not done by the computer but by people. The knowledge of the 3d animation software is not enough to create good 3d animations. The understanding of traditional animation principles is what makes a good animator.

All good 3d modelers can draw well because they understand the form. You cannot create a good character 3d model if you don't know the anatomic proportions etc.