3d forums home Resources for 3d artists

is it faster to use a Intel Core™ i7 Quad Processor i7-920?

Posted: December 15, 2009
monjanse
is it faster with intel core i7 to render hair and fur, and render with lightsystems with shadows? im going to buy a new pc. is it faster to use windows 7 or vista? i now uses intel core duo. whats your experienses?

and, when i use 3d programs, is it faster and better to use 2 or more pc-screens?

391447.jpg
Posted: January 07, 2010
Algomorph
1. 7 is nothing more than Vista fixed up a bit at this point. What is really vital is that you get a 64-bit version of whatever WinNT you install (Vista is 6, 7 is 7). 64-bit system + 64-bit processor (i7 920 supports x64 as far as I know) means you will have twice the access speed to your RAM and will be able to house more than 4GB of it (much more).

2. Core duo is nice, but you're right - Quad is better. Another thing - clock rates DO matter (no matter what dust Intel tries to rub into your eyes). Quad means that your rendering process (if you use a decent 3D application) will be split into 4 threads, executed simultaneously. Higher clock rate increases the speed at which each of those threads renders. 920 is nice, but higher numbers do better - while also more expensive.

3. Get some nice dual-channel Ram. Get no less than 4GB, I recommend more for high-res rendering.

4. Number of screens does not affect rendering. Getting two or more only helps if you want to do something that requires a huge working area, or if you lack good eyesight. I would actually go with one nice screen instead of two small and not-so-good ones.