3d forums home Resources for 3d artists

Help designing a unique polygon

Posted: December 06, 2009
Orbit
Hi guys, I need some expert assistance here. I have taken some anatomical measurements which will form a triangular based pyramid. I have calculated the angles in between each set of 2D triangles. What is the best way to go about turning this into a realistic 3D polygon?
Posted: December 12, 2009
3d artist gallery Andyba
Just use measuring tools when creating it.
If you know the length of all edges, then measure the edges while creating the pyramid and you will get what you want. 3ds max has measuring tools that can calculate the length and the angle. You can use vertex and polygon snapping to measure things more precisely.

As an alternative Rhino 3d has precision 3d modeling tools.
Posted: December 17, 2009
Orbit
That's been really useful and I've done that now. What I'd like to do is actually design a 3D model of the human orbit based on all my measurements. So not just designing polygons but actually a 3D orbit for a skull. I have all the measurements and angles for the anatomy. How can I put this together?
Posted: January 07, 2010
Algomorph
If this is of any help, try making 2D blueprints of the skill from multiple angles. Afterwards, model based on these (literally, put the blueprint raster images into the modeling viewport). Use symmetry tools, rotation snaps, and movement constraints for best precision.

Another idea that comes to mind is using a 3D scanner... That is... If you have a real-life model of what you're trying to make. I don't know your aims exactly.

P.S. I know many applications allow you to vectorize raster charts. Guess what: many 3D applications input 2D vector files (Adobe Illustrator, etc, etc) into sprites. I've actually done precision modeling from sprites in 3Ds Max before: if you arrange sprites composed of equal number of vertices in a sequence, there is a way to make a "crossection" between the sprites and make them into a solid piece of geometry.